πŸ₯‡ BANNER Clay Pot with Coins Inside!!!!!

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Back to my pals old property and found had a signal close to this pot.
I had previously picked up lots of surface bottle finds so moved this out of the way to use the pinpointer - but the signal had gone ???

Looked inside and saw what turned out to be coins!!!!:thumbsup:

Will try to clean these up a bit, the soil was packed quite hard inside.

Picture below show the pot (outside and inside) and the coins as found!:thumbsup:

middle ridge etc 017.JPG middle ridge etc 018.JPG middle ridge etc 019.JPG clay coins 003.JPG clay coins 004.JPG clay coins 006.JPG clay coins 002.JPG clay coins 012.JPG clay coins 009.JPG clay coins 008.JPG clay coins 007.JPG clay coins 015.JPG clay coins 019.JPG clay coins 018.JPG

Upvote 66

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
You have some very exciting spot to hunt with amazing finds. I'm no expert on coins recovered from the sea but most gold coins that I have seen are still pretty shiney even if they have some encrustation on them. I suspect that you have some early spanish silver coins but wait for the experts to chime in. Congrats and we can't wait to see what you find next.

OP
OP
BVI Hunter

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks!!

plan to clean VERY slowly!!

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Those coins are definitely silver spanish pistareens from the early 1700s, and it looks like you have some 1 and 2 reales. In your 7th pic that shows the 3 coins in your hand, the one in the upper right is definitely a 2 reale pistareen based on the "II" mark. The "P" and "A" below that are the assayers marks and stand for Pedro Gordillo and Antonio Montero who worked together at the Seville mint in Spain from 1731 to 1736, so that will also date your coins. Once you clean that coin you'll see an "R" to the upper left of the shield which represents "reale", and the "S" below it will be the mint mark for Seville. However, its possible you have some other variety coins in there as well. And now that you know they're silver that should help you figure out how to clean them. How many of them were in the jug? Super find!!

I've added a pic of your coin below which is identical to yours with the exception that mine is a 1 reale since it has a "I" mark instead of the "II" that yours has. I'm also adding a pic of the reverse side of the coin as well.

pistareen labeled.jpg

pistareen 1731.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
BVI Hunter

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those coins are definitely silver spanish pistareens from the early 1700s, and it looks like you have some 1 and 2 reales. In your 7th pic that shows the 3 coins in your hand, the one in the upper right is definitely a 2 reale pistareen based on the "II" mark. The "P" and "A" below that are the assayers marks and stand for Pedro Gordillo and Antonio Montero who worked together at the Seville mint in Spain from 1731 to 1736, so that will also date your coins. Once you clean that coin you'll see an "R" to the upper left of the shield which represents "reale", and the "S" below it will be the mint mark for Seville. However, its possible you have some other varieties in there as well. And now that you know they're silver that should help you figure out how to clean them. How many of them were in the jug? Super find!!

Wow! super detail, thanks!!!

four coins that I can easily 'see' but have left the clump of lower soil intact while it soaks awhile.
maybe more, maybe not!!

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Sir I would trade you an sad iron for any one of those.:laughing7:
Congrats on a great find. That,s what makes a detector so great.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
No problem man. It worked out great as I just completed a new magazine article yesterday on the history of colonial silver coins in Virginia, and it includes a section on pistareens. And I had also just put together that labeled pic to be included as well. So that was good timing. Keep us posted on how the cleaning goes, and if there are actually more coins in there. I don't think I'd have your patience waiting for that. When you're all done the jug alongside the coins will look great in a display.

OP
OP
BVI Hunter

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sir I would trade you an sad iron for any one of those.:laughing7:
Congrats on a great find. That,s what makes a detector so great.

made all those irons worth it in the end!!

OP
OP
BVI Hunter

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No problem man. It worked out great as I just completed a new magazine article yesterday on the history of colonial silver coins in Virginia, and it includes a section on pistareens. And I had also just put together that labeled pic to be included as well. So that was good timing. Keep us posted on how the cleaning goes, and if there are actually more coins in there. I don't think I'd have your patience waiting for that. When you're all done the jug alongside the coins will look great in a display.

the coins I released have a hard crust, so don't want to risk damaging or defacing any (if any?) still inside.

will wait till the clump dissolves!

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent recovery and i'm on the edge if my seat to see what you have

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a silver cob, a Pistareen, and likely another cob. :occasion14: I think I had that dream once! :)

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Shucks, I was thinking and hoping that they might be Gold! Oh well, old Spanish Silver coins have value as well.

Frank

P.S. I wonder if the reason that your' previously cleaned coin find turned out so bady, was possibly due to not leaching the Salt out of the encrustation before putting the coin into Lemon Juice solution. I make this statement as I know that Lemon Juice and Salt together, can sometimes be very damaging to some coins. If this is the reaso that the coin turned out the way it did, you might want to soak your' new found coins in fresh water and change the water every 12 hours for a few days before using Lemon Juice or anything else on them.

OP
OP
BVI Hunter

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Shucks, I was thinking and hoping that they might be Gold! Oh well, old Spanish Silver coins have value as well.

Frank

P.S. I wonder if the reason that your' previously cleaned coin find turned out so bady, was possibly due to not leaching the Salt out of the encrustation before putting the coin into Lemon Juice solution. I make this statement as I know that Lemon Juice and Salt together, can sometimes be very damaging to some coins. If this is the reaso that the coin turned out the way it did, you might want to soak your' new found coins in fresh water and change the water every 12 hours for a few days before using Lemon Juice or anything else on them.

good tip - slow slowly catchy monkey!!

OP
OP
BVI Hunter

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those coins are definitely silver spanish pistareens from the early 1700s, and it looks like you have some 1 and 2 reales. In your 7th pic that shows the 3 coins in your hand, the one in the upper right is definitely a 2 reale pistareen based on the "II" mark. The "P" and "A" below that are the assayers marks and stand for Pedro Gordillo and Antonio Montero who worked together at the Seville mint in Spain from 1731 to 1736, so that will also date your coins. Once you clean that coin you'll see an "R" to the upper left of the shield which represents "reale", and the "S" below it will be the mint mark for Seville. However, its possible you have some other variety coins in there as well. And now that you know they're silver that should help you figure out how to clean them. How many of them were in the jug? Super find!!

I've added a pic of your coin below which is identical to yours with the exception that mine is a 1 reale since it has a "I" mark instead of the "II" that yours has. I'm also adding a pic of the reverse side of the coin as well.

View attachment 1005108

View attachment 1005109

thanks ! :thumbsup:

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey BVI!! Really Nice Finds!! CONGRATS!! Can't wait to see your finds once they clean up!! CONGRATS AGAIN!! GOOD LUCK and GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool find. Those coins in the bottom of the pot makes me wonder if it was full at one time? And where the other coins may have spilled out?

OP
OP
BVI Hunter

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very cool find. Those coins in the bottom of the pot makes me wonder if it was full at one time? And where the other coins may have spilled out?

I thought the very same thing, AFTER I had got home :BangHead:

either it was full and there are more very close or just a few were put in this broken pot? - for what reason I don't know, and how / why was it just left on the surface?

it maybe a while before I can get back there :sadsmiley:

OP
OP
BVI Hunter

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey BVI!! Really Nice Finds!! CONGRATS!! Can't wait to see your finds once they clean up!! CONGRATS AGAIN!! GOOD LUCK and GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

ate least I stayed dry for this one !:thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread