Spectacular daye on a VERY old eastern shore site- gw digger’s detecting Partner

Danno

Aug 22, 2006
Delaware / Maryland Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Whites, DFX
Hi all. This is my very first post. I felt that it was time to start adding some of my finds from this wonderful place we call the Eastern Shore! This post is the counter part to gw diggers "And we had a Spectacular daye on a VERY old eastern shore site". I am GW's detecting partner and have been so for about 10 years. We have come across some incredible sites through the years but I must admit that this one takes the cake! When it comes to Spanish Silver, we normally are lucky to find one piece! Most of the time it is in the form of a cut coin also known as a Piece of the Pie and ranges from mid to late 18th century. On this particular day we stumbled on to a doozie! It was no doubt a mid to late 17th century Home site and Holy Cow did it ever produce! Before finding it, we were all very tired and super hot from a log trek through some vast fields that seemed to go on forever. We were all able to recover about a half dozen buttons and various relics but could not find a Hot spot to indicate the location of a site. We started talking about leaving when we noticed another field that was hidden by a thin row of woods. All of us agreed that we should at least walk it and see if there was evidence of a site. After covering about 90% of it, we were not impressed. I suggested on taking a short cut to the truck which would take us over the remaining 10% of the field. It was at that point when we started finding vast amounts of surface indicators such as brick, shell and pottery with occasional pipe stems! Finally! We had found what we were looking for! A huge "Christmas Morning" Rush came over us and we made a fast dash to get our detectors. The site turned out to be straight out of a dream! I was the lucky one at first from digging an incredible (2) 1600's Spanish 1 Reale cobs and a 1600's Sixpence, back to back! Then shouts rang out from all of us! All in all, gw had found an incredible 1681 1 reale cob and a William III copper, our friend had two 1600's coppers and I had found two 1 Reale cobs, one double dated 1664 and one Mexico, a 1696 dated Sixpence and a 1720 half penny. All of us had so many relics in our pockets it felt like our pants would fall down! :o The pictures I have added here are some of my finds from that site. I will also be posting some of my best finds from the years in the Best Finds Category some time this weekend. Needless to say, we can’t wait to get back to this site! I am sure there is much to find lying hidden in that Very Old Eastern Shore Site!

Attachments

• CIMG4959.JPG
    CIMG4959.JPG
    102.6 KB · Views: 611
  • CIMG4961.JPG
    CIMG4961.JPG
    104.3 KB · Views: 618
  • CIMG4967.JPG
    CIMG4967.JPG
    84.9 KB · Views: 623
  • CIMG4965.JPG
    CIMG4965.JPG
    94.1 KB · Views: 616
Upvote 0

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Book em' Danno! I'll take 50!

Congrats on your 1st post...Well done and great pics. Tuesday is supposed to be nice and 72 degrees. I will contact Jim and we will head to this old site once more. I will bring a small loop!

HH, Gary

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SLII and the E series DFX and the Minelab ExplorerII
Re: Spectacular daye on a VERY old eastern shore site- gw digger’s detecting Par

Very impressive!

I'm looking forward to seeing what else you guys find there!

Ridley

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Spectacular daye on a VERY old eastern shore site- gw digger’s detecting Par

Awesome first post and welcome to TNet! Those finds are just great. Congrats and HH, Mike

dr-quest

Feb 25, 2007
Nova Scotia Canada
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Gold, Whites XLT,Tesoro Stingray ll,Whites Surfmaster ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cant wait to see the rest of your finds.I am very excited and I`am not even going,you must be about to wet your pants ;D

Trash Digger

Dec 15, 2006
Eastern North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's DFX

You guys have found the mother lode. Early colonial site, evidently unhunted, how much better does it get? I think I'd take a tent and camp out on that place.

Mike

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your field of dreams day, and seeing those oldies can bring tears to my eyes :o

I like the 17th century nipple button, a friend of mine has found several of them at one of his very old sites here in NJ. I am still looking for my first one. Nice and heavy they are. :)

Don

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Don in SJ said:
Congrats on your field of dreams day, and seeing those oldies can bring tears to my eyes :o

I like the 17th century nipple button, a friend of mine has found several of them at one of his very old sites here in NJ. I am still looking for my first one. Nice and heavy they are. :)

Don

Don, we found either 5 or 6 of the nipple buttons in the 3.5 hour period we were there. I got 2 of them.

HH, Gary

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW!! Congrats on finding an awesome site!!Good luck with the rest,HH

OP
OP
Danno

Danno

Aug 22, 2006
Delaware / Maryland Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Whites, DFX

Thank You for the warm welcome!!! We will keep you updated on the new finds from this site. Hopefully we will be heading back out to it on Wed or Thurs. Happy Hunting!!

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome dig's Danno....love the coin's but it look's like some of the old rounball's have been chewed maybe?....Maryland's got some great history,lived there 39 year's and still work there.....Excellent job!!

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Welcome to TNet Danno!!
Dream finds.. wow!! Congrats on all the loot.
Can't wait to see more of your goodies!
Thanks for sharing your finds!

Smiles!
BDoo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread