🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
American Gold Miner's Buckle

Hi All

History Miner's Diary September 1852 Victoria Australia

"The three of us ,having agreed to combine for a trail of the Mt Alexander Diggings , we purchased a cradle ,large tent and tools, and provisions for two months, and gave a teamaster $20 to convey the lot to Fryer's Creek We tramped up with the waggon , making the trip in five days. On reaching Fryer's Creek we found that place crowded and gold being got in large quantities, but we fancied the good ground was all occupied, and, hearing that many were going to Cambell's Creek , we decided to head there .

The Hunt

I decided to try the large open flat above the creek where once numerous first gold rush camps once existed. Not a tree was left standing and every rock was turned over in the first rush . Over the next 160 years tons of clay and wash soil had been washed by the seasonal rain down onto the camp site . So all targets were to be found at depth, with also mineralised ground this the true element of the PI units . I have been using a GPX 4500 for last few years and had good days and bad days . The first gold miner's didn,t leave gold and this site was not the best field . One thing i will say over the past year, my partner and myself have found some of the best first gold mining relics and only little gold. With miner's from 28 countries there always something different to be found . Chinese , American , British, Hungarian, German and others .

This is one of 5 buckles found at this gold rush camp and as my post in What Is it" is the rarest

American California Miner's Buckle :occasion14: tinpan

Attachments

• cailfornia 1.JPG
    cailfornia 1.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 804
  • cailfornia 3.JPG
    cailfornia 3.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 752
  • california 2.JPG
    california 2.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 893
  • Mount_Alexander_Diggings.jpg
    Mount_Alexander_Diggings.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 826
Upvote 41

danimal03

Feb 13, 2012
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
buttons

Thanks Caprock. In response to your request, here are a couple of pictures. These buttons are ones that I personally dug from mid 2006-late 2008.

I found a site related to the CA Gold Rush that was loaded with buttons. I personally feel the site was an improvised wash area due to the huge variety. Buttons are extremely tough to dig in Gold Rush sites. I seem to have got lucky finding approx. 30 in a 2.5 year span. I know diggers who have only dug a few over a long span and they have found awesome stuff.

I found the remains of two complete coats there. The first coat had all five sportsman's buttons, plus two cuffs. Prior to this find, the collectors and historians I knew personally were unsure if the sportsman's coats sold/worn in the Gold Rush all had the same button on it or not. My recovery proves that at least some wore all different buttons. Note the different animals of each, birds, rabbit, dog, elk, etc.

Interestingly, the two cuff buttons match the elk pattern. I personally feel this site was early Gold Rush, circa 1849 or 50 at the latest.

The second pic is a zoom of buttons I dug. You will notice the 4 x Mass Militia buttons. Also the remains of a coat. All found together next to the sportsmans buttons. In this group shot there is an eagle I button and an 1830's eagle button but the eagle faces the other way. Rare button though it is hard to see in the photo. The silver button I think was made from a melted silver coin. There are some glass and bone buttons I eyeballed. I especially like the blue glass button. Only non-white one I ever found.

These are just buttons I personally dug. I have been acquiring buttons from other diggers with an emphasis on military buttons. If I have the time I may take a couple shots to show the interesting variety. There are some off the charts historical buttons in there but most do not know what they are and that is a separate story for another day. Hope this gives a peak into this exceedingly important, yet largely overlooked and underappreciated chapter in not only US history, but world history due to the reasons I mentioned in my earlier posts.

These buttons represent the tough and dedicated miners who put everything on the line (and often lost their lives) to try and find gold and make a better life for themselves. This time period was full of uncertainty and there were many, many ways for these hardy individuals to die. Each button represents these long forgotten men and as such; is a unique and much appreciated representation by their current finder and custodian. As long as I am alive I will preserve them and their memory and I will make sure who ever ends up with them after I am gone will have the documentation and understanding of their historical value to be passed on.

Attachments

• sportsman's jacket2.jpg
    sportsman's jacket2.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 248
  • group shot zoom2.jpg
    group shot zoom2.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 242

CC Hunter

Aug 7, 2004
Timbuktu
Detector(s) used
Magnet on a Stick
I think you found the wreath a few years ago, I looked at your post,

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/107543-49ers-gold-hoard-christmas-gold-reef-1851-1867-a.html

Here is the photo of your finds with the wreath marked. I hope you still have it.

Coinman123,

The wreath shown there in Tinpan's earlier post, missing the belt loop, is indeed quite similar to what would have originally gone with the Gold Miner's buckle. Good eye for catching that in a post from a few years back. Nice to have the link and photo included as well. A close study of the details, and I can say that particular wreath most assuredly would not be the correct matching wreath for the cast brass American Gold Miner's buckle tongue. The wreath shown there is one our group of expert collectors often refer to as the English Style T-slot. The inside opening resembles a sideways "T", along with slightly round tabs on two sides. The majority of these style buckles seem to have originated in England. The correct wreath for the cast brass American Gold Miner's buckle, will have a straight slot opening inside. Also the correct matching wreath for the Gold Miner will feature a pattern of large overlapping laurel leaves, along with cross bands at the top and bottom. The English Style T-slot wreaths usually have small berries at the center, and no cross bands. Of course when the full belt loop and connecting bridge is still attached to these wreaths, we also have the unique scroll and dot pattern there on the Gold Miner, to offer undeniable proof of the correct original use and match.

In the attached photo, right side, there is shown an original correct matching wreath for a cast brass Gold Miner Tougue & Wreath buckle. The rare cast brass tongue shown on the left, featuring an eagle perched atop a fireman's water pump cart, will fit the Gold Miner wreath quite well. In actuallity though, these are not true matching buckle parts, and these rare Fireman's buckle tongues would have fit within some other wreath style and design.

In my own collection, there are three perfect original cast brass Gold Miner's buckle wreaths. Two were dug by a personal friend, and one was dug by my father years ago. The past 12+ years my father and I have devoted considerable time and study to the many varieties of Tongue & Wreath buckles popular in the 1840's and on into the early 1860's. Numerous varieties of belt buckles have been recorded and photographed, allowing a gained knowledge of what designs and styles may match with various parts. Quite often now, even the smallest broken piece of a buckle tongue or wreath, can be properly identified as to what the complete buckle would have been originally. A fun pastime that mixes the study of history along with detective work.

CC Hunter

Attachments

• EaglePumper2.jpg
    EaglePumper2.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 436
Last edited:

CC Hunter

Aug 7, 2004
Timbuktu
Detector(s) used
Magnet on a Stick
The photo below shows a comparison of three different styles of belt buckle wreaths, featuring the laurel leaf pattern.

* Top Center: We see the English Style T-slot wreath (in stamped brass), as described in the preceding post. Tinpan's wreath example may in fact be of cast brass, and therefor slightly heavier in construction than my own thin stamped brass wreath shown below. The original tongue for the one shown in Tinpan's earlier post is unknown, yet I suspect that may have possibly fit a style of British crown over an anchor, or similar type buckle. There are also some unique to Australia, Kangaroo T&W buckles, in several different styles.

(This particular wreath in the photo below, top center, would have originally matched with a plain smooth buckle tongue in rolled stamped brass, with two punched holes. These buckles were then originally adorned with an attached motif device also of thin stamped brass, that was fastened through the holes. A variety of different attached devices have been noted in our research. Most recovered and excavated buckle examples are now seen with the original attachment missing.)

* Next on the Left and Right: Two correct original cast brass Gold Miner wreaths.
(Note the unique scroll detail on the small connecting bridge between the wreath and loop, seen only on cast brass Gold Miner buckles)

* Bottom Center: The cast brass wreath with a bushy laurel leaf design, and slightly arched inside backer tabs.
(This particular wreath is one that only fits a Navy type design T&W buckle tongue, featuring an 1840's style eagle perched atop a vertical anchor, with 13 stars surrounding. Both the original cast brass tongues and wreaths for these uniquely Western America T&W buckles, show a benchmark number 33 cast into the detail).

CC Hunter

Last edited:
OP
OP
tinpan

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All, Big thanks to all and the info input is great. I have found a few wreaths and some are made for stamped copper . This an Australian Volunteer Militia buckle and again i do not have the wreath ???

pressed copper wreath

bass cast tongue

tinpan

Attachments

• 100_3025 (1).jpg
    100_3025 (1).jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 571
  • 100_2927.jpg
    100_2927.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 612

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread