Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree109Likes

Thread: American Gold Miners Buckle

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    au
    Sep 2004
    Eaglehawk
    GPX
    1054 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (4)

American Gold Miner's Buckle

Hi All

History Miner's Diary September 1852 Victoria Australia

"The three of us ,having agreed to combine for a trail of the Mt Alexander Diggings , we purchased a cradle ,large tent and tools, and provisions for two months, and gave a teamaster $20 to convey the lot to Fryer's Creek We tramped up with the waggon , making the trip in five days. On reaching Fryer's Creek we found that place crowded and gold being got in large quantities, but we fancied the good ground was all occupied, and, hearing that many were going to Cambell's Creek , we decided to head there .

The Hunt

I decided to try the large open flat above the creek where once numerous first gold rush camps once existed. Not a tree was left standing and every rock was turned over in the first rush . Over the next 160 years tons of clay and wash soil had been washed by the seasonal rain down onto the camp site . So all targets were to be found at depth, with also mineralised ground this the true element of the PI units . I have been using a GPX 4500 for last few years and had good days and bad days . The first gold miner's didn,t leave gold and this site was not the best field . One thing i will say over the past year, my partner and myself have found some of the best first gold mining relics and only little gold. With miner's from 28 countries there always something different to be found . Chinese , American , British, Hungarian, German and others .

This is one of 5 buckles found at this gold rush camp and as my post in What Is it" is the rarest

American California Miner's Buckle tinpan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cailfornia 1.JPG 
Views:	476 
Size:	109.5 KB 
ID:	1005673   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cailfornia 3.JPG 
Views:	618 
Size:	125.8 KB 
ID:	1005674   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	california 2.JPG 
Views:	729 
Size:	125.1 KB 
ID:	1005675   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mount_Alexander_Diggings.jpg 
Views:	623 
Size:	151.8 KB 
ID:	1005676  

us
    Nov 2010
    California
    Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
    945 times
    Hi TinPan! Your miner's buckle is awesome! Conveys the excitement & hardship those guys experienced. Enjoy also seeing the china shards & other relics. The drawing of miners' encampment above a creek conveys reality to soft city slickers like me, lol. Hard work then & now pays off - sometimes! Have Fun & keep us posted on your adventures! Andi

us
    Mar 2014
    North Dartmouth Mass
    Minelab Safari
    269 times
    Wow man what a buckle and what a story. ! Congrats and ty for saving that beauty of a buckle
    HH -LIM-

Some people look up and wonder. What? And Why?

I look down and do the Same.

----------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------

Dig long and prosper!

Dec 2012
    on the rocks - so cal county line
    Gold bug pro / Whites coin master II
    483 times
    Nice tales come from just looking at that old belt buckle .
    Now that the dirty work is done all's that is left is the digging

us
    Aug 2004
    Timbuktu
    Magnet on a Stick
    526 times
    Fantastic Find!!!

Great narrative providing a glimpse into the history of the area, site conditions, as well as accompanying relics. A belt buckle depicting a Gold Miner from the beginning Gold Rush is surely the most fitting of all relics to recover from a gold mining camp! Rarity and collector desirability is hard to top there!

Congratulations on a Banner Worthy find!!!

In honor of your American Gold Miner Belt Buckle found in Australia, included here is an Australian Gold Rush Belt Buckle, lost in the American mines.

A personal find recovered years ago, this belt buckle also dates from the 1850's, advertising the clothing business firm of;
    * F.C. BENNETT * 60 Gt. BOURKE St. EAST MELBOURNE

The original post of the American Gold Miner Buckle on the "What Is It" Forum is included in the following link:

Buckle ?

CC Hunter
    Last edited by CC Hunter; Jun 07, 2014 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Photo Added

us
    Anthony

May 2013
    City of Rensselaer (upstate NY)
    Minelab Equinox 800-Explorer SE -Sovereign-GT- -Whites 6000 Di pro SL-Specturm XLT.
    6043 times
    Nice finds..

us
    Oct 2013
    Topsham, Maine
    Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
    8157 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    That buckle is amazing! Congrats on a great piece and nice post
    "Life which is lived without zest and adventure-is not life at all."
    -F.A. Mitchell-Hedges, British Explorer
    2017 BEST FINDS
    -1723 KG1
    -Colonial Cufflinks
    Oldest Coin To Date: 1652 Pine Tree Shilling NOE 29
    Colonial Silver To Date: 11
    Hammered Coins To Date: 1664 Potosi Mint COB
    1653 Copper Cob

us
    Aug 2004
    Timbuktu
    Magnet on a Stick
    526 times
    For viewing reference, an original complete cast brass Tongue & Wreath style Gold Miner belt buckle of the 1850's, would have appeared as below with the matching outer wreath:

With the rough and tumble life of working in the placer mines of the early gold diggings, these buckles often encountered hard use. Rarely are the buckle tongues and wreaths found straight and completely intact. More often than not these are bent and broken long ago, before eventually being lost or tossed. Finding a near flawless buckle part of this attractive design in such remarkable condition as we see here, is indeed a very worthy accomplishment!

CC Hunter
    Ironman! and ANTIQUARIAN like this.

au
    Sep 2004
    Eaglehawk
    GPX
    1054 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Hi All The Buckle of the Welcome Stranger Cornish Oak Leaf Buckle Clasp Oak. Tree national tree of Cornwall UK .Cornish Gold miners found the 2 largest nuggets in the world "The Welcome Stranger [2520 0zs] "The Welcome" [2217 Ozs]

tinpan

Name:	buckle.jpg 
Views:	287 
Size:	92.8 KB 
ID:	1005983  

au
    Sep 2004
    Eaglehawk
    GPX
    1054 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Hi All America flat 1854 called Eaglehawk today .

Name:	1854.jpg 
Views:	274 
Size:	40.5 KB 
ID:	1006015  
    CC Hunter, Ironman! and Paulito like this.

Quote Originally Posted by tinpan View Post
    Hi All The Buckle of the Welcome Stranger Cornish Oak Leaf Buckle Clasp Oak. Tree national tree of Cornwall UK .Cornish Gold miners found the 2 largest nuggets in the world "The Welcome Stranger [2520 0zs] "The Welcome" [2217 Ozs]

tinpan
    Two biggest nuggets found by Brit's ..you just can't keep us boys down.
    I'm amazed there hasn't been anymore reply's and Banner votes for this buckle rarity Condition and Great information about the find provided...strange, if an American had found it, it would already be up there.

SS
    CC Hunter, Ironman! and TonyTiger like this.
    Don't piss down my back, then tell me it's raining.

us
    Oct 2013
    Topsham, Maine
    Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
    8157 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Searcher View Post
    Two biggest nuggets found by Brit's ..you just can't keep us boys down. I'm amazed there hasn't been anymore reply's and Banner votes for this buckle rarity Condition and Great information about the find provided...strange, if an American had found it, it would already be up there. SS
    It always bums me out when people don't see the beauty of these relics. Seems like people just love the coins. They made a hell of a lot of coins but how often do you see something like this buckle? Stupid Americans lol
    ANTIQUARIAN and TonyTiger like this.
    "Life which is lived without zest and adventure-is not life at all."
    -F.A. Mitchell-Hedges, British Explorer
    2017 BEST FINDS
    -1723 KG1
    -Colonial Cufflinks
    Oldest Coin To Date: 1652 Pine Tree Shilling NOE 29
    Colonial Silver To Date: 11
    Hammered Coins To Date: 1664 Potosi Mint COB
    1653 Copper Cob

us
    Aug 2004
    Timbuktu
    Magnet on a Stick
    526 times
    An Australian Digger wearing a belt with a Tongue & Wreath Buckle.

This is from a glass plate image taken by the American & Australasian Photographic Company, circa 1870.

Image detail from a larger glass plate negative, courtesy of: State Library, New South Wales (The Holtermann Collection)

CC Hunter
    Ironman! likes this.

us
    Feb 2012
    Tennessee
    145 times

BANNER FIND

Congrats on a mega-rare find! I dug one of these tongues in the western US in 2007. I had never seen one before I found mine. What makes this tongue so rare is that it is one of the few 'California motif' style plates that were ever made. 99% of the belt plates worn usually had some sort of eagle on it.

I spent months looking for the matching wreath but was never able to find it. It took me 7 years of constantly looking for one for sale on the internet before I found one. In my opinion, there are approx. 20-30 known tongues. I can only account for about 10 wreaths. But if you lucky enough to find only one half; I would want to find the tongue due to the interesting design.

In rarity and historical terms; yours is off the charts.

I am one of the few collectors out there that specialize in CA Gold Rush and American Civil War. If you found a 'CS' tongue for instance, you would have made the banner already. Attached is a pic of my tongue I dug, and a dug CS Leech and Rigdon style tongue I acquired last year. The CA miner tongue in infinitely more rare than this pretty CS tongue. And the fact you found yours in Australia is even more rare.

your plate was likely worn in the 1850's CA Gold Rush, and was then brought to Australia by the miner after the discovery of gold in Australia. Thus, your tongue witnessed two VERY HISTORIC events that changed world history. Congratulations!

AND THIS IS BANNER MATERIAL ALL DAY LONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Name:	rare miner tongue.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	614.4 KB 
ID:	1006263  
    Last edited by danimal03; Jun 14, 2014 at 02:19 PM.
    CC Hunter and Ironman! like this.

au
    Sep 2004
    Eaglehawk
    GPX
    1054 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Hi All ,Thanks for the input into the thread. Far cheaper at the time of the gold rushes and quicker to import supplies across the Pacific Ocean from the USA rather than wait months to get good s for the UK . More than half of all shipping in Australian Waters were American . American coins like large cents and silver seated are found on the Gold rush sites.

Doesn,t matter about the banner as this morning my partner and myself are going back to the site. Heavy frost in the open country and thick fog in the hills and gullies of the diggings. Always a hit and miss on trips but hoping for something good.

tinpan
    ANTIQUARIAN likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links