1798 Carolus IIII 8 Real!

ekeisler

Apr 6, 2013
Got out to a newly discovered colonial plantation. The plantation dates back to the late 1600s and I believe was abandoned or burned in the 1800s. Anyways I had found some revolutionary war era buttons and a piece of a trunk plate along with a musket ball. I went out today after the rain and dug a bunch of iron until I decided it was time to leave. I was swinging desperately on my way back to the car when I got a nice signal that definitely was not iron. I popped the plug and saw a big disc staring at me. I picked it up and brushed the dirt off. I saw the back of this beautiful coin and started yelling and punching the air. I couldn't believe it. My first 1700s coin and it's a big, heavy silver one!!! I'm still so excited! Here she is...

image-3975411447.jpg

image-1451233634.jpg

If anyone can tell my why there is a swirl on top of the crown instead of the usual cross it would be muchly appreciated.
Here's a button and a piece of a trunk plate from the same site.

image-2653655641.jpg

image-1951332819.jpg

image-2332224168.jpg

image-657947854.jpg

Upvote 30
OP
OP
ekeisler

ekeisler

Apr 6, 2013
WOuldn't you love to know how long they have been in the ground and what's happened above them all those years
I think soon after it was lost, (in the early 1800s) the plantation was abandoned and then the house was fired at by confederate cannons for target practice. The plantation dates back to the late 1600s.

Last edited:

goldnrelics

Apr 1, 2013
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortés, Tejón, Cibola, Cutlass II, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Killer Bee's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
amazing find! Congratulations!!!

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it was early last year (or maybe the year befor) that the Banner was almost covered with gold coin finds. I don't recall how many but there were several up there. I would be nice to see the banner covered with Big 8s like this one. These coins were hard to loose so we don't find them that often and that is why I think they are all banner worthy. My vote has allready gone in.
Congrats again,
ZDD

OP
OP
ekeisler

ekeisler

Apr 6, 2013
I think it was early last year (or maybe the year befor) that the Banner was almost covered with gold coin finds. I don't recall how many but there were several up there. I would be nice to see the banner covered with Big 8s like this one. These coins were hard to loose so we don't find them that often and that is why I think they are all banner worthy. My vote has allready gone in. Congrats again, ZDD
Thanks, ZDD!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread