Need help dating bullet

treasurehunter313

Apr 29, 2014
PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was my second day out at an old homesite. Found a lot of steel tools that need cleaned. When I was walking out of the woods I was checking the path out as I walked and found this bullet. It's a USC CO 25-20 and it has a dollar sign on the firing pin spot. I found pictures but I would like a date if anyone knows. Thank you! I also included a picture of one of my other finds today that was cool. image.jpg image.jpg

Here's a picture with the writing from online I can't get a good picture with my phone. I know I could probably ask the guy who posted that picture but I rather ask my smart friends at Tnet haha. Thanks for looking! image.jpg

Upvote 1
OP
OP
treasurehunter313

treasurehunter313

Apr 29, 2014
PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found out some additional info: USC Co was supposedly bought out by Winchester in 1920, but was still made under that brand until 1938. The stamp on the primer isn't a dollar sign it's a U with a S over it for the company name. Any additonal information or exact would be cool!

OP
OP
treasurehunter313

treasurehunter313

Apr 29, 2014
PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info. Doesn't exactly date the bullet, but there was an awesome story attached this type of bullet being used to kill a world record whitetail. Nothing beats our hobby.

HH

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes...from some of the other things I was reading about the United States Cartridge Co., supposedly their machines were shut down in 1927.....so....depending on how you look at it....it could be at least 87 years old....or if I reload that empty brass last year it could be one year old....my guess from the degradation of the solid lead bullet yours is probably closer to the 87+ year old range. ...

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds. That place would seem to be worth more exploring.

OP
OP
treasurehunter313

treasurehunter313

Apr 29, 2014
PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome. Just think I was going to leave it there thinking it was a .22 mag or something. Very cool. I really want to find a civil war era bullet, but I live near Pittsburgh so I'm not sure of my chances of finding one. Time will tell though! Thanks for the responses.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread