My Oldest Coin --- 1811 Large Cent!!!!!

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
Got my first hunt of the year off to a great start today! Went this morning to a field near me that used to have some houses on it. Found 3 keys one after the other and some clad coinage. Hit that place for a couple of hours in the morning then headed home to have lunch with the mrs. before she went back to work.
After she left I went back to my ever popular ATV trails to give them the once over for this year. Hit it for about 3 hours and went to a section that I thought I had hit before. Was on one of the smaller trails that the ATV riders just cut through a small section of grass. Figured it would be a good spot to detect and keep the coil consistent over the trail.
Got a nice dime signal on my Ace 250 and no matter which way I swung the coil it was showing a dime. Started digging through the muck and mud and using the BullseyeI pulled an 1811 Large Cent out of the mud. Did not know what I had until I got home but knew it was a coin. Put it in my small pocket of my jeans so it would not get lost or mingled with anything else.
Walked about ten feet then got a penny signal on the Ace. After digging through more muck and mud, I lose the signal and had to find it again. Apparently I threw it a little bit when trying to dig the hole. What turned up was a nice flat button from the 1800's. I can make out the word "DOUBLE" and I assume the next word is "GILT" but not sure if there is another word on it. These words were on the back by the shank, which is still there! No design I can see on the front of the button though. Also found an old fork that has a nice flower pattern on it. Will take pics of the button and fork and post them shortly. But here is the Large Cent. I can clearly see the "ONE CENT" on the back and some of the design. The front is pretty rough but can see some stars and can see the 1811.
Not bad for my first "official" hunt of the new season.
Took tomorrow off also and gonna hit those trails hard!

HH

Funkman

Attachments

• 1811 Large Cent Front.jpg
    1811 Large Cent Front.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 458
  • 1811 Large Cent back.jpg
    1811 Large Cent back.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 461
Upvote 0

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find! Looks to have a thick patina built up, should clean up very nice if you decide to clean it. Congrats and HH, Mike

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on finding your oldest coin. I believe my one of my best Half Cents was found thanks to ATVers turning up the soil........

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some day I want to go to the large cent country to look for a coin like yours. congrats on your find.
Burdie

OP
OP
funkman

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
thanks for the replies all! Hope to do good tomorrow when I go back there. This coin is not as good condition as the two others that I found in the same general area (same section of land, just not near where the others were). The fork seems to have some words on the back that I can make out are the last words of "BROS. and the number 12, and near the tines on tha back are the numbers 426. I figure that must be a pattern number or something.

HH

Funkman

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A large cent is a large cent. . . no matter what condition it's in, way to go! Buttons are nice too!

watercolor

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice find Funkman!
:o

Nat

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice job Funkman and Congrat's....still lookin' for my first.....HH!!

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SLII and the E series DFX and the Minelab ExplorerII
Starting the season off with a bang!

Excellent large cent!

Ridley

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread