My Favorite Ring Find Yet ! J.G. TARVER TEXAS GIANT. Old Wheats & Indian Head Charm.

SC SLING

Sep 22, 2010
SC,FL,TX,PA,GA,NC,
Detector(s) used
BOUNTY HUNTER 505 & AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Favorite Ring Find Yet ! J.G. TARVER TEXAS GIANT. Old Wheats & Indian Head Charm.

I was back at my new spot after work today (1hr 45mins) and found my favorite ring to date. Yes I know its not silver or gold but its is no matter to me. Its all about the history of the items I find and not the money value. I used my friends AT PRO as I wanted to get a head start on getting to know this detector. Mine should be in this week from Kellyco. I must say I will be looking forward to it as the AT PRO has some great depth my bounty hunter 505 just not have. I had a tuff go with the AT PRO yesterday as I did not get it ground balanced properly. I worked out some bugs toady and found some nice items. Five wheat's 1914,1923,1933,1944,1944. A Indian head charm that looks to be off a key chain.
Last but not least is my J.G TARVER TEXAS GIANT RING. I put a large cent inside of the ring so you can get a idea of the size of fingers that man had.Provided below are the details about the ring. Best of luck to all on your next trip out and thank you for looking.

The ring features the name of the famed 8 foot 4 inch 325 pound giant, James Grover Tarver. He was born in 1885 in Franklin, Texas and became known as The Texas Giant, Texas Jim or What-A-Man-Tarver. He traveled with Ringling Brothers and other various circuses for 26 years from 1909 to 1935 and spent his time off on his Arkansas farm. Tarver also played the role of the giant in the 1917 movie "Jack and the Beanstalk." He died in 1958 in Arkansas at age 72 from complications of diabetes.These rings were sold as souvenirs at the Circus and at the Texas Centennial in 1936. J G Tarver was the original BIG TEX that is still an Icon of the Texas State Fair.

Attachments

• unnamed2.jpg
    unnamed2.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 315
  • unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 306
  • unnamed3.jpg
    unnamed3.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 272
  • unnamed4.jpg
    unnamed4.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 296
  • unnamed5.jpg
    unnamed5.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 241
Upvote 13

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that ring is an awesome find. Some really cool history right there. Congrats.

Project Pat

Tenderfoot
Nov 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Indian head is for Pontiac motors you were right it was a key chain. Cool find.

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love the history of the ring you found. But can you imagine the value if it was GOLD!!!! That thing is huge. Very nice find.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
You are tearing it up! Nice finds.

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice souvenir ring there found one once myself, think it was from the same guy maybe, had thought it was a Coney Island park souvenir though.

jimzlady

May 4, 2011
VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinity
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was given a ring identical to that one about 48 years ago, it was made of pewter or maybe lead as I remember. Lost it many years ago. Neat to see one again.

May 5, 2015
Baltimore Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found one of these Tarver rings today too! Im stoked I love it! Also found with my AT Pro in Baltimore Maryland may I ask where you found
yours?

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions