2nd Hunt with OldDude produces silver, relics, and a Trifecta!!

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a little video of todays hunt

Hey guys,
Met up with OldDude today to do another round of door knocking, we hit the back country roads and he spotted a good looking farmhouse so we approached them and easy peezy we got permission! super nice folks and we made a connection for some fall digs! he'll tell you that his sites mean less for him and more for me and vice versa yada yada yada lol:laughing7: jk dave! anyway, I hit the front yard first and hit a few wheats right off the bat, I thought boy its got potential. Shortly later I got this awesome buckle, that I believe is a shoe buckle dirt buckle.jpg buckle outside.JPG buckle pinpointer.jpg so I kept gridding along and snatched a 1862 fatty indian head! Shortly after that I hit a nice high 80s mid 90s repeatable at 6 inches, so I get a diggin and pow, 1835 Large cent!, lc shirt.jpg coins.JPG coins outside.JPG I hit the trifecta!! all of that came in a small area that I point out in the video, about a 20' x 80' area! that was pretty much the only old coin-producing spot in the yard besides the wheats OldDude snatched elsewhere in the yard, I seemed to have found the old section of the property. I also got some cool relics like the 4 leaf clover pin, a thimble, a front and back of an old compact, a lock plate, a few keys, and what appears to be an old small bracelet? We left shortly after Old Dude made his exit find, a sweet flat button with the word Best on back, my last find on the property was a 1945P War nickel!!:headbang: silver #31 on the year, Old Dude must be my warnickel good luck charm, 2 hunts with him and 2 war nickels, thanks pal! this tiny little coin I almost forgot to mention, it says "Island Eyrir" on front and 1953 on back, thoughts??? small fb.jpg After that we obtained permission at a really amazing looking property old dude has had his eye on for some time, the place is on the national registry for historic places and was absolutely beautiful but, the guy gave me permission with a warning, and ill quote him "ill warn ya, a lot of people have been through here already" Well besides old dudes awesome 2piece military button, he was right, it was a barren wasteland of nothingness!

oh yeah, almost forgot, this little intruder scared the bejesus out of me so I rang his bell, dead.jpg
his friend wasn't so pleased and scampered off! SNAKEWALL.jpg
pin outside.JPG take.JPG SAM_1194.JPG
all in all an awesome day with some killer finds and some future spots secured, thanks for looking and HH!!

Last edited:
Upvote 6

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
thanks beez, its more enjoyable getting out with fellow hunters, someone to brag to lol

Ok, Beez....let's put him to the test. Ask him if he will trade that beautiful Fatty for another hunt with me:laughing7:

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, Beez....let's put him to the test. Ask him if he will trade that beautiful Fatty for another hunt with me:laughing7:
Yeah I'm gonna have to go ahead and decline that request mmmmk lol
Besides I tried giving you the one Indian to dig, turned out to be colonial aluminum siding lol

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy cow, what an awesome day Cjon. Great variety of finds. Thanks for the video too. Can you get Dave's face next time too. He told me he looks identical to Brad Pitt and that Angelina couldn't even tell them apart. :tongue3: If you don't want o risk your camera breaking I totally understand. :laughing7:
That buckle is a beauty! Congrats on the trifecta too. Did you check to see if your 1864 IH has the "L" for the designer "Longacre". They are worth a lot more. I dug a 1864 "L" once and it was also double stamped on the date and some of the lettering.
What kind of snake is that in the first photo? I HATE SNAKES!

Awesome day!!!! I must ask.....Did Dave have his detector turned on???? :dontknow:
Thanks for the post and congrats on gaining the permissions. Must be your cologne?
-Doug-

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Holy cow, what an awesome day Cjon. Great variety of finds. Thanks for the video too. Can you get Dave's face next time too. He told me he looks identical to Brad Pitt and that Angelina couldn't even tell them apart. :tongue3: If you don't want o risk your camera breaking I totally understand. :laughing7:
That buckle is a beauty! Congrats on the trifecta too. Did you check to see if your 1864 IH has the "L" for the designer "Longacre". They are worth a lot more. I dug a 1864 "L" once and it was also double stamped on the date and some of the lettering.

Awesome day!!!! I must ask.....Did Dave have his detector turned on???? :dontknow:
Thanks for the post and congrats on gaining the permissions. Must be your cologne?
-Doug-

I have had a sudden realization. He makes me stay in the car and wait while he knocks. I bet he tells the people I amBrad Pitt and we're shooting video for my next role " American Diggers~The Movie":tongue3: That would explain why the elderly couple kept calling him Matt too ( as in Damon ) and he kept telling me to call him Ringy.

Last edited:
OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had a sudden realization. He makes me stay in the car and wait while he knocks. I bet he tells the people I am [/I] Brad Pitt and we're shooting video for my next role " American Diggers~The Movie":tongue3:

Lol I never said stay in the car! I thought u were choosing to do that lol

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

-Doug-
I'll have to check the 1864 later, I'll get back to ya. And as far as dave, he asked to not b in the video in fear that all the women detectorists would be private messaging him, I totally understand

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi there C! Nice find on the large cent love those, doing good just to find wheat cents out here in the new spots. This fall is when the good old stuff will turn up while hitting the fields. Yards are all-ready too dry, never was into the door knocking myself.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AWESOME finds & A GREAT post Guys.
I should probably watch the video now, I just hurts to watch others dig things ; I wish that I could Find.

A great hunt indeed.
Davers

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AWESOME finds & A GREAT post Guys.
I should probably watch the video now, I just hurts to watch others dig things ; I wish that I could Find.

A great hunt indeed.
Davers
thanks! Just get out there and find them old homes, youd b surprised how receptive some ppl are

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt! Awesome bunch of finds, except the snake! He was probably mad 'cause you scooped up his retirement fund!

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt! Awesome bunch of finds, except the snake! He was probably mad 'cause you scooped up his retirement fund!

Thank you, I absolutely hate snakes!:crybaby2:

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like you have very kind soil there by the look of the coins. Most Indian head penny's I dig up here in Nova Scotia are in rough shape. Maybe every one out of three would be in decent shape.

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you have very kind soil there by the look of the coins. Most Indian head penny's I dig up here in Nova Scotia are in rough shape. Maybe every one out of three would be in decent shape.
it depends on the site, some spots are harsh but overall it's not bad at all unless I hit a cornfield that's been fertilized for 200 yrs, then I get crusty green discs

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an incredible coin, Doug. Did you keep that one or sell it?

I ended up selling it for $135, but I wish I would have kept it. I'll never find a CW era IH like that again. :dontknow:
-Doug-

shawninNY

Oct 2, 2013
Detector(s) used
Xlt/Dfx/BHID , Excaliber, nowCtx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Breeches buckle , knee buckle ( not technically called knee buckle but I've heard them described as that and pass on my misinformation) looks mid 1700's by the spikes

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT