๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 350,
BH Tracker IV,
Garret Pro Pointer,
Lesche Sampson Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The other day I was at an old foundation back in the woods. I've hunted it before....big iron..drives you crazy...but the place is a couple hundred years old and there just gotta be something cool there. Anyway I get a nice deep signal, it ends up being about ten inches deep, its gotta be good right?

I see it in the hole...an old trigger guard. I'm all pumped that I finally found something at this old site that made me feel good about hunting there. In the keeper pouch it goes and I decided to call it a day as the tick and mosquitos had joined forces and were planning thier next attack. I swear I saw them get in formation. So I get home and start cleaning it up...what? no way..it can't be....hose clamp...:BangHead:

Anyone else have any good stories of finding something that you thought it was and it wasn't ?

Attachments

• 20140611_165203.jpg
    20140611_165203.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 96
  • 20140611_165229.jpg
    20140611_165229.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 97
Upvote 7

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Shiny silver size ten (resting on spoon) had me thinking nice big ring...l.o.l..Aerator off a faucet.

IMG_0016.JPG

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL yeah, had the same too, plumbing pieces that come out looking like rings till you see the threads!

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I dug a bicentennial coin from the 1970's that looked 10,000 years old when it came up. First thing I see is 1870 something. I'm PUMPED!!!!!! Then after cleaning a little bit more I see 1970 something. Talk about busting your balloon. I damn near threw it back into the hole it came from.... NOT! (but the thought crossed my little mine).

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Yeah. :BangHead: Digging coins around big old tree by creek, I dug a dirt-encrusted "old" coin, just hint of woman's face & hair peeking out! I yelled to my son, "I got a Barber!", real excited as I hadn't dug any coin that old yet. Son raced across the little park to view my Barber, but by the time he reached me, she had turned into -- Susan B. Anthony! I was more deflated than a popped balloon at a kid's party! :crybaby2::sad10: :crybaby2: Andi

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was a nice find for a brief moment! Until the truth came to light.

Detector says "ring", I'm hopeful but not excited, dig down and see a glint of gold! Now I'm excited! Grab the clump of dirt, it's a gold ring! Till the dirt falls off revealing a gold nip cap! They should out law those things, or at lest paint them blue!

Metal Militia

May 17, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350 & Garrett Pro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I feel your pain. I thought I dug my first silver coin as I got a glimpse of a lady walking. Turned out to be a 1973 5 Francs. On a Texas soccer field of all things. Ever since then I don't celebrate until I know for sure.

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
O yea...local fairgrounds that has been pounded,,but occasionally produces something interesting, and at 5 inches I pulled a copper colored coin, quarter sized with the green patina, and a little careful cleaning produced..??64 !! 1864 coin!! WOO HOO SCORE!!..but wait a minute..oh crud..1964..turned out it was a 1964 English half-penny. WORTH $3.00 per e-bay..o well, not the first time and wont be the last..thx..great thread...ddf

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I was almost sure I had another large cent, with a quarter signal, in the middle of a colonial site. I got the signal out, the top of a 1970's can :BangHead:. When I first started detecting I saw a metal disk the size of a large cent, it turned out to be an iron washer. Luckly after a year, I have found a few big coppers.

Last edited:

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Mine was a reverse luck kind of story. I was taking the day off from work, for my birthday, and looking for a CW camp that I had been hunting for. Late in the afternoon I get a good signal near the tree line, after digging a lot of junk. And, out of the hole comes a penny that is so encrusted I can't quite tell how old it is and it kinda.... looks like a Lincoln. So, I picked up the detector and made my way back to the car. When I got home I carefully cleaned off the coin and what do I have, an 1864 IH. I was probably on the edge of the site I was looking for and just didn't know it. Haven't been back to that site since either, bit of a trip by car to get there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions