Titanium from the 1987 Challenger crash

Dave P

Feb 24, 2010
Port Saint Lucie Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Here is a picture of the piece I found on the beach about 2 miles north of the Sebastian Inlet State Park here in Florida8-). I actually found it last month but just now am getting to posting it. I will be taking it to the Kennedy Space museum to see if they would like to have it there on display.

Attachments

• Titianium find Sebastion Inlet Fl..jpg
    Titianium find Sebastion Inlet Fl..jpg
    584.7 KB · Views: 235
Upvote 8

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
really nice thinking on your part.

Alchemist

Feb 8, 2014
Badger State
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum Pro w/11" coil, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202, Garret ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How is it I.D.?

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice find and great gesture offering it to the museum.

Beepin Husker

Feb 20, 2014
Husker Country
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, Garrett AT Pro, 2 Garrett Pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My 3rd grade teacher in Nebraska could have been on that flight....he was 1 of 3 finalists for the teacher in space program NASA did...we all unfortunately know how that ended.... Great find! I too am interested in the association to the Shuttle and how this story turns out!

Dig on!

OP
OP
D

Dave P

Feb 24, 2010
Port Saint Lucie Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2
Primary Interest:
I was hunting about 50 miles down range from the crash site for one. After 27 years in the mud and water it did not rust at all. You cannot bend this piece of very hard metal either. I also had two people on the beach that have seen pieces at the museum and said thats what they thought it was. Also I use to work at Avco Lycoming jet engine plant in Stratford Connecticut as a machinist in training after I got back from nam in 1969 and I recognize it as titanium. Also I was told that small pieces keep washing up on shore from time to time. If you feel this piece it feels very oily and slippery like.
You can see from the edges where the very high temp of the fire burning it that is was dripping as you can see the 3 drops before it cooled. If you look real close you will also see 3 pieces of what looks like to be pieces of sand that got embedded into the piece before it cooled down. I think thats really cool. So for final proof, my wife and I are planning a trip to the Kennedy Space Center for verification and then I will donate it to the museum.

Last edited:

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was hunting about 50 miles down range from the crash site for one. After 27 years in the mud and water it did not rust at all. You cannot bend this piece of very hard metal either. I also had two people on the beach that have seen pieces at the museum and said thats what they thought it was. Also I use to work at Avco Lycoming jet engine plant in Stratford Connecticut as a machinist in training after I got back from nam in 1969 and I recognize it as titanium. Also I was told that small pieces keep washing up on shore from time to time. If you feel this piece it feels very oily and slippery like.
You can see from the edges where the very high temp of the fire burning it that is was dripping as you can see the 3 drops before it cooled. If you look real close you will also see 3 pieces of what looks like to be pieces of sand that got embedded into the piece before it cooled down. I think thats really cool. So for final proof, my wife and I are planning a trip to the Kennedy Space Center for verification and then I will donate it to the museum.
I got it the second time. The third post was overkill. :laughing7:

DMN

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2009
Nice find if it is from the Challenger. My understanding is pieces found are property of the Fed Govt. I could be wrong but be prepared.

Lores

Apr 15, 2014
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro ACE 250 Garrett Pro Pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use to be in Special Boats for the US Navy. I saw Challenger on the pad. Was in
Miami when that morning and off the coast of Bimini whenshe blew. Spent two weeks swimming, searching and diving. I wont confirm if I kept a little piece but I bet you could guess.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2014
Long Island NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab 305

Whites Dual Pro Surf PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, gonna be tuff beating that find. Good stuff, and a really nice gesture on your part to donate to the museum.

OP
OP
D

Dave P

Feb 24, 2010
Port Saint Lucie Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2
Primary Interest:
Yes I have read that as well. I think they are mostly interested in parts with id numbers on it. But thats cool, I will donate it to the Space Center and share it with everyone who is interested in this sort of thing. Glad you all like it.

OP
OP
D

Dave P

Feb 24, 2010
Port Saint Lucie Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2
Primary Interest:
I have found stuff that would give this piece competiton, some Civil War Stuff.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got it the second time. The third post was overkill. :laughing7:
duplicate posts removed....

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
;);)
I was trying to be funny. If I offended I apologize.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......
Doubter, you didn't offend me or anyone I know of. I removed the duplicates and quoted you only so others would know what you were referring to..... I guess I should have added a ;) so you knew there wasn't an issue.

Sorry...

PeteWmass

Nov 26, 2012
South Hadley
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
really random tangent to this story - I briefly dated Christa Mcauliffe's daughter around 15 years ago -same red hair...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread