Todays find...a treasure story

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
I went to a new site today and hunted for an hour or so.? I found a couple of wheats from the early 40s.? It was at an old home that is still occupied by a woman in her 70s who lived there when she was a kid.? She stayed right with me just about the entire time I detected.? She talked, and talked and talked some more, lol.? It was about things that happened around here years ago and made for interesting listening.? In the midst of it all, she told me about some hidden treasure on a piece of land that she used to own.? Turns out, the land is just minutes from my home.? She told me where the old house was (it's gone now) and who the man was who hid the loot, and who owns the land now.? It's supposed to be a fair sum that's hidden somewhere on the place.? She's not sure if it was ever retrieved or not, but this is my first lead on anything like that.? Gets the adrenal glands pumping!

Upvote 0

Colorado2

Dec 26, 2004
Berthoud CO
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's MXT, Fisher Gold Bug II
Great day Cheese. I'm glad you took the time to listen to this woman. The history of a place by someone that lived it is worth more than all the reading you can do. I hope it all pans out for you~CO2

omnicognic

Bronze Member
Jan 22, 2005
Tampa, Florida
You just gotta keep us updated on this! You owe it to us, your treasurenet comrades, to follow up on this! If necessary we'll form a letter writing campaign to get you permission to hunt! right guys!(and gals!) ;D

C

Carl in CO

Cool story. Hope I run into someone like that one of these days. Good luck with treasure.

OP
OP
cheese

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
HAHA! No kidding! I keep thinking about it. I have been out almost every day detecting, but I didn't get the chance to go out today, although I did get permission on another site in an old part of town. I eyed 2 coins while I was there doing a service call. (modern clad). I'll let you know if I get permission to the property where the loot's supposed to be. Who knows....maybe I'll get lucky. It happens. I get so anxious that I don't even want to go to work. Man this detecting stuff can consume me. :-\

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cheese said:
HAHA! No kidding! I keep thinking about it. I have been out almost every day detecting, but I didn't get the chance to go out today, although I did get permission on another site in an old part of town. I eyed 2 coins while I was there doing a service call. (modern clad). I'll let you know if I get permission to the property where the loot's supposed to be. Who knows....maybe I'll get lucky. It happens. I get so anxious that I don't even want to go to work. Man this detecting stuff can consume me. :-\

Just keep your head straight there cheese! If you let the bug bite you hard enough to miss work over it- it could cause some serious damage in your life! ;D

OP
OP
cheese

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
Too late, I skipped half a day today and hunted an old homesite. Didn't find much worthwhile, came home and ate supper and went out for a nite hunt at a boat landing at the river. Found some clad and junk, but had fun. Just got in.

I own my own business and this is my slower time of year, so taking time off isn't very detrimental, and I know things will be so busy later that I probably won't have time to do any detecting. So, I figure I better do it while I can.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Ah the bug has you now! Hey Cheese, are we having fun yet?!? Happy Hunting!

D

Darod

Hey Cheese,

The older I get the more I like to hear the old stories from the old timers. The thing is, that little old lady followed you all around because she's probably lonely as hell! or she's just crazy :D All kidding aside, personally, I really love to talk to old timers like that. Their stories need to be told and you should consider yourself fortunate that it was your ears that the story fell upon. I do a lot of side jobs for older folks and they all just love to talk and talk and talk. Makes me kinda sad actually,....reminds me of my Grandmother that passed on within the last few years.

Anyhow, keep us posted on the buried treasure cache site. And go back to visit that little old lady every once in a while to keep her company.

Rod

OP
OP
cheese

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
Well, I tried today. I went to her house and rang the bell. She came out, didn't even say "Hi", just said she had seen her lawyer about making a trust, and mentioed my detecting on her property to him. She said he told her not to allow me to detect there. She said "so I guess I should listen to him". I asked what in the world could be the reason, and she said he told her that what is there in the ground belongs to her and should stay there. Yeah, ...makes a lot of sense. Sounds to me like her layer might have ulterior motives. What thye might be, I don't know.

It chapped my hiney though when she told me that. I did some work for her last year (that's how I learned about the place). When I asked her if I could detect there, she said I could IF I hauled off some junk she had in the back. I hauled it off, and detected one time for and hour or two. Then she tells me I can't go.

It's not the fact that I can't detect the site...there's plenty more places to go. I only found 3 pennies and some junk there anyway. It's just that I treated her well, even offered to let her use my radio shack detector that was in the truck, since she was so curious and interested in what I was doing. And I hauled that junk away.

All the times before, she was smiling, laughing, happy for me to be there, etc... Oh well. At least I got the treasure story from her. That might turn out to be bigger 'taters anyway (hope, hope).

Lowbatts...Yes!! I'm having fun. It will be more fun when I figure out where those old coins are and how to get them. I know they're here somewhere, lol. Just got permission today for another old homesite. The home has been recently torn down and the land is being cleared now. Maybe that's the spot, who knows. The home that was on it was probably around 100 yrs old give or take.

A sherriff's deputy visited me on my night hunt last night. We ended up propped against my car having a nice long conversation. Nice,...I thought we were going to be in for the spanish inquisition.

D

Darod

I gotta tell ya, it sounds like detecting is risk business in your part of the woods :)

Be careful! Make sure you get the OWNERS permission on these sites your hunting. Sometimes people say you hunt and then you find out their rents as your being thrown off the property by the "owner".

Keep us posted on the cache.

Rod

spotz

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2005
Stanfield, Oregon
Hey Cheesey! I know just what you mean about the self employment. Trouble is that detecting is a whole lot more relaxing than attendindig to business. I've got a manager now that I can trust. I have been trying to close the sale of my business since Dec. 17th. Didn't think it would be so difficult, but I hear that commercial deals are normally long & drawn out. I sure do get tired of hearing, next week, next week. Heard it again today, but it sounds like it will be done before the end of the month, then I will have UNLIMITED time to detect.

The story about the elder women is quite familar. Espically if a Lawyer get his nose in the deal. I always go out of my way to help the elder citizens when I can because I just about am one myself. I just hope that someone younger will think about the implications of their future also.

Seniors can tell you stories that lead to interesting site possibilities. Don't let one bad experience ruin future opportunities fore you. This gives me an idea for a new post. Check it out. Spotz

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread