1700 Britannia,Pewter Shoe Buckle, Crotal Bell Drop, Several Relics

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haven't gotten out in awhile but had a window today. I have been hunting river banks recently. It's a bit risky but if you find a site there's a good chance it hasn't been hunted. Today I believe I stumbled on a very early site. A few indications of this are the enormous flat button and also my first pewter shoe buckle. I so wish this buckle was complete as it's my first pewter buckle and you don't see em often. I also found what I thought was a 1700 half penny but the obverse doesn't seem to match so I'm a bit lost and am sure someone will quickly straighten me out.
image.jpg
I also found a Crotal bell drop the other day (6 bells) then another at a different site.
image.jpg
I also found what appears to be another buckle piece that is bent.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
I found a few iron tools at this site and am psyched with the old hoe. She's my first :tongue3:
Sorry bout the horrible pic image.jpg
image.jpg
And here is the coin
image.jpg
image.jpg
Any info on the coin is appreciated. I'm hoping to get to the island where I found my first Spanish silver, Seated dime, and gun barrel. Thinking about spending the night out there. Maybe I can find that 1660s home site
Thanks for the replies guys. Definitely a 1749 George ii.
image.jpg
And a better pic of my hoe
image.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 15

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some nice old recoveries there Abe. :thumbsup: Congrats on the crotal bell spill. Maybe it fell off on Santa's great-great-grandfather's sleigh? :dontknow:
You got a fine looking old hoe there too buddy. She may be rusty and dusty, but I bet she can still work it. :tongue3:
Congrats,
Doug

RelicMedic

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab pro find 35

Minelab Equinox 600

Minelab Excalibur II

Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome hunt. I don't think I've ever seen a hoard of crotal bells!!!!! The Britannia copper looks to be a 1740. That's an oldie!! You have a great site. Pound it, especially if the water level drops throughout the summer.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You always remember your first hoe fondly....ahh, memories! Maybe you found a horse's grave instead of a bell drop, lol. Nice finds Abe.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Greylock

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Western MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a good site. That pewter buckle piece is cool and so is all those bells. Can't help with the coin but does look like a halfpenny. The obverse does seem different. Hope someone helps. Looking forward to the next post.

RelicMedic

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab pro find 35

Minelab Equinox 600

Minelab Excalibur II

Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was pondering as to whether it was a half penny or penny. I looked at the pic again after a coffee, and I can see an "N" at almost 12 o'clock position. Without knowing the size, I'd have to lean towards a 1740 British Penny.

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Killer stuff man. It is funny, I was just telling my wife yesterday how cool it would be to find some crotal bells in the water ha ha.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1740------that's sweet, so are all your other finds. I bet that's tough walking the river bank? Your probably on top of stones? Maine isn't exactly known for its sandy beaches. I remember my first hoe, never forget those kind of things.

RelicMedic

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab pro find 35

Minelab Equinox 600

Minelab Excalibur II

Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, I think I finally got it lol. It's definitely a 1740 or 49 British George II penny. There is a left facing bust on the bottom picture. If you rotate the pic once to the right, it's oriented properly. I overlaid your pic with one I found online and it matched up perfectly. Dude, you have a killer site there!!!

Last edited:

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It appears to me you have a 1749 George III half pence. I believe the lower part of the 9 is not visible.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice relic finds and crotal bell spill! Leave it to you to find a nice old out of the way spot to hunt good stuff! Congrats!

RelicMedic

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab pro find 35

Minelab Equinox 600

Minelab Excalibur II

Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey
It appears to me you have a 1749 George III half pence. I believe the lower part of the 9 is not visible.

Right...the "N" I was seeing must be part of "Britannia". Regardless if it's 1740 or 1749, it would be George II

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You're correct Ace. Sometimes the fingers move to fast and George II became George III. George III didn't become king until 1760 I believe.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey

Right...the "N" I was seeing must be part of "Britannia". Regardless if it's 1740 or 1749, it would be George II

Would probably be easy to tell in person.

1740 Georgius
1749 Georgivs

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice hunt there Abe. My favorite find is that pewter buckle piece. Pewter buttons are fairly common, but its not often you see a buckle like that. Those things are so brittle I can see why they didn't last long. Don't feel bad - your chances of finding an intact pewter buckle of that size is probably next to nothing anyway. Maybe you'll get lucky and the other half will show up.

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I updated a pic of the coin on the original post. Def a 1749 George ii. Thanks for the help and replies. I also put a good pic of my hoe up

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread