Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I worked late and wanted to get at least an hour in. I went to a spot that I've never hunted. When I got there I saw that someone has been hunting and doing an absolutely awful job filling the holes. I hit an area away from the existing holes and on my first hit I dug up an Indian head penny dated 1896.

I also dug a few assorted modern coins and even found a quarter on top of the ground. Other than that there was the usual trash. This spot has a ton of trash and I had to dramatically reduce my sensitivity.

The Indian head is in pretty fair condition too. Those old pennies can look really great after more than a century.

Well I really didn't expect much at my spot but walked away pleasantly surprised. You just never know what's in the ground. It's always worth looking even if you don't have much time.

Last edited:
Upvote 5

david680

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2014
Salem, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Too bad some people can't figure out that leaving an area better than you found it is the right thing, and good for the hobby. Nice find, now go get so more.

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I will be there tomorrow right after work.

This spot is close to a small river. The sand on the riverbank makes my Tracker IV go crazy. I thought this thing was supposed to automatically adjust to the ground (and it usually does anywhere else) but this place is weird. There is also a ton of trash from partiers and sloppy picnickers.

I guess I'll be digging through lots of trash for the good stuff. It's actually quite an historic area and I expect I'll find more loot soon enough. I have a good gut felling about this spot despite the garbage.

Last edited:

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck, good finds.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice IH find! You can practically tell the date range on pennies just by their appearance!

Try detecting toward the river bank and not walking parallel to it. I have to do the same at the beach walk toward the water or my detector will chatter.

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
UPDATE!!!!!:
After cleaning my Indian head penny with lemon juice and olive oil I was able to read the date much better.

As it turns out, it's not an 1896 coin but it's an 1886 Type II. It's not worth anything but finding out it was ten years older than I had originally thought was still a pleasant surprise.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely thats a good find congrats

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread