Civil War Artillery Shell!!! Traded silver for shell!

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I have been on one heck of a coin kick as of late. I have found one keeper coin each trip I made to the water but I sort of knew that this trip would end that streak. I made the comment to my dad that I hoped to at least trade the S from silver to Shell and it worked.

I spent time with dad for the 4th and decided to hit a place that I have not been to for over 3 years. I never found a shell at this site, but I did know the possibility was there as I have found fragments and a load of fired bullets.

About half way into the hunt I located this nice Confederate 10lb read-parrott artillery shell.

The rest of the day was fairly slow as I only recovered a few civil war bullets (fired three ringer, fired ballard carbine, fired .5 of a three ringer, and a musket ball).

I did find an interesting piece that I thought might have been part of a gun, it has remnences of wood on the reverse. Any ideas?

Attachments

• 1a.JPG
    1a.JPG
    573.4 KB · Views: 228
  • 1b.JPG
    1b.JPG
    597.1 KB · Views: 226
  • 1c.JPG
    1c.JPG
    556 KB · Views: 214
Upvote 10
OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't read the article.

I'd be willing to bet it had a naval fuse though, some of those shells to this day still have dry powder.

But people don't need to be afraid of civil war shells, ignorance is destroying a lot of history these days. Even the bomb squad destroys solid shots, because they have no idea about history.

The powder is not typically the problem...it is the pressure built inside a capped shell. I agree 100% that ignorance erases history consistently....this one had a paper fuse and the powder is easily flushed out (and has been exposed to water for over 100 years).

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great shell Dan! I remember you saying you were due for one. Although, I would love to dig 1600s silver any day! (not happening in my neck of the woods).

Thanks man - this was my first trip this summer to look for one...went back to a new colonial site today and had a blast...get ready for an awesome post of colonial water goodies...including two more coins :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread