Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
About the only relic hunting I can do this time of year is at my colonial creek front site that I hit a couple times a year. Over the last 15 years this site has produced more than 1000 Indian pottery shards and other NA artifacts, plus a ton of colonial and CW finds including a ton of pottery and glass. Today I had difficulty dealing with the thick marsh grass that inhabits this area during the summer. And the property owner next door who always wants to give me grief even though I have permission was giving me the evil eye again today, and I felt uncomfortable hunting near his property line which, of course, has been the spot that's produced the most. So my finds weren't all that impressive, but I was able to eyeball another 40+ pieces of NA pottery. I also found 2 small stone objects that have my curiosity up although they may not be anything. One has a hole through it which was obviously man-made, and I was wondering if this could have been from a pipe of some sort, or maybe a pendant worn around the neck. I have no clue what the other piece is but it just had that strange look to it. Appreciate any comments from the NA experts out there. Before leaving I walked further down the beach where I rarely find anything, and was shocked to see 2 umbrella inks, one clear and one aqua, laying less than a foot apart and partially buried in the sand. I guess those ended up being the finds of the day. Anyway, still counting down the days until fall when the real hunting starts .....

Attachments

• 070714a.JPG
    070714a.JPG
    168.2 KB · Views: 139
  • 070714b.JPG
    070714b.JPG
    107.4 KB · Views: 142
  • 070714c.JPG
    070714c.JPG
    101.8 KB · Views: 163
  • 070714d.JPG
    070714d.JPG
    107.3 KB · Views: 141
  • 070714e.JPG
    070714e.JPG
    102 KB · Views: 150
  • 070714f.JPG
    070714f.JPG
    147.2 KB · Views: 155
Upvote 8

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds Bill. I love finding NA pottery, I haven't found any in quite a while. My go to site now hasn't produced any pottery but a ton of other artifacts. No clue on the other items, hopefully the experts here can give an ID. Those ink wells are really nice too even if they aren't completely whole.

danimal03

Feb 13, 2012
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice finds. I know the feeling with the 'evil eye' in our area. it is tough to get permission to hunt and even when you do; others seem to want to intervene. I dislike hunting where people can see me at all for that reason. I have been putting off hunting a very public area I have permission to detect on. I will get to it eventually but the hassle I expect keeps deterring me. looks like a nice day overall and good luck hunting.

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds Bill. That stone tube definitely looks like a pipe. You should post it on the NA artifact forum and see what they say. Take a few more pictures of it...the other pieces as well and post it over there.

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice finds Bill. That stone tube definitely looks like a pipe. You should post it on the NA artifact forum and see what they say. Take a few more pictures of it...the other pieces as well and post it over there.

Just did Joey -thanks!

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds Bill, I am no expert on NA stuff so can't help there but man I really like the inks. There has to be some more goodies around where you found those inks, keep looking Buddy.
ZDD

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some cool finds Bill. Thanks for the post. :thumbsup:
Give that guy the evil eye back, and then wink at him. That should throw him off. :laughing7:
-Doug-

Attachments

• thSL2S5Z6W.jpg
    thSL2S5Z6W.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 291

stewielouie

May 14, 2012
Virginia
Detector(s) used
MXT, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on those inks, We all love when we get the "stink" eye evenwhen we are doing something we are allowed to do!!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice bunch of NA artifacts!
I guess that's how some people get their jollies, staring at us. If he was trying to melt a hole thru you it didn't work, tell him he needs more practice!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread