Huge honken 7.2 gram 14k gold earing today!!

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett gti 2500, Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow today I found my largest gold ever. First true gold in over two years. So I had few hours to detect this afternoon, decided to explore a patch of old woods with a trail running through it. I figured I'd dig every target except iron. I thought, can't be many targets seeing as it is a new park, and new path. To get to the point I found this 14k 7.2 gram very large earing 4" down off to the side of the trail. Wow! At first I could not see the 14k so after I left stopped a my local pawn shop to have it tested and past! Then the guy shows me the 14k that I missed. It's one of those clip on earings that must of broke? You can sort of make out the 14k up side down in the second picture. Sorry best pic I could get. Thanks for looking! Forgot to mention It registered on the DFX just bouncing around 30. 28 then 30 , 30, 31, 28, 31, 30 30. Right in that area. 002.JPG 003.JPG 006.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 10

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
congrats on the awesome finds, sweet!

OP
OP
Helix

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I swear in my personal experience finds like this only come around when you least expect them.. When you hope and hope and prepare for a huge find you find nothing. I guess its blind luck. :dontknow:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your gonna find gold it might as well be the large kind!
Congrats! You had a great hunt, silver, gold, and lots of treasures!

OP
OP
Helix

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your gonna find gold it might as well be the large kind!
Congrats! You had a great hunt, silver, gold, and lots of treasures!

Thanks Ms beep... Planning is good, but keeping an open mind and not getting frustrated is better. Im looking forward to your gold finds in the future.

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Wow! What a super surprise! :notworthy: If you decide to sell it, the Midwestern Refiners on this site pay at least 95% of current gold value, maybe a bit higher. My son & I have had good success with that company because they're honest and quick. They pay much more than our local jewelers or pawn shops or the traveling gold-buying companies. Again, congrats on big gold! :icon_thumright: Andi

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, that is a honker!, bet that got the adrenaline goin

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice find there lovely gold! What other items read around 30 on your machine Helix?

OP
OP
Helix

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice find there lovely gold! What other items read around 30 on your machine Helix?

Interesting you mention that. Generally I only dig targets with a 45- 50 vdi or higher. I know only digging the higher numbers is the reason I miss a lot of gold and nickels. I have my reasons for only digging half the numbers. I like to run the DFX on relic mode (which is all metal mode) when ever I can, like hearing and seeing everything in the ground. Hearing everything tells me if there was any activity in the area at one time. I do a lot of farm field and deep woods detecting and that's where that habit comes from. I will say thought if I am hunting a farm field containing a site that was used only during the 1800's I dig everything short of small iron.

To answer your question Relicman I would say on the Whites DFX finds around 30 are pull tabs and lots of other junk. Shotgun shell backs were around 45-50. The lead fishing weights were higher around 65, 75 area. Pennies in the 70's unless they are zinc a lot of times they are lower in the 50-60 range. The larger rifle shells were high in the 70's 80's. Small 22's bullet shells were lower around 30-40. I will say maybe next time I am at a park or anywhere there is a high chance of jewelry loss I will only dig items ranging in the 20's -40's. Pull taps watch out!! LOL

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Ms beep... Planning is good, but keeping an open mind and not getting frustrated is better. Im looking forward to your gold finds in the future.

So am I Helix, so am I. I know it's out there, I just have to get my coil over it.
Thank you for the vote of confidence, I'll pass that along to the M6.

OP
OP
Helix

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not that I was accused of my gold being bogus but I finally got a much better pic of the 14K and what looks like a makers mark. Also its not 14K EP as in electroplate, Its clearly an ED not a EP. 005.JPG

Last edited:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's heavier than most gold rings found...congrats.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread