Miniball??

nsm1978

Jan 4, 2013
Found behind a church built in the 1700s. 8 inches deep. Is it a Miniball? Is it Revolutionary war , or Civil War? Where I'm from and where the ball was recovered it was more Revolutionary war activity versus Civil War.

image-1838223982.jpg

image-4017421257.jpg

image-2180434186.jpg

It's really heavy.

Upvote 0

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
well it looks like a musket ball from Rev. period and remember they were used for hunting. I'm no expert but have found them. Nice find!

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh ok, thank you. Is the size right? And what is it actually made of? Lead? Is that why it is white?

lead. White from 200 - 300 years in dirt

OP
OP
nsm1978

nsm1978

Jan 4, 2013
Very interesting, thank you guys so much I'm really excited!

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Smooth bore muskets were still in use and,saw action,during the civil war,tough to tell exactly the time period of use for your ball.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
a lot of metals oxidize over the years, we call it different things at times, rust, corrosion etc. due to chemicals, water, even air. with variances in color according to metal or composition. lead turns white.

mirage83

Dec 20, 2009
NW Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, XLT
Found behind a church built in the 1700s. 8 inches deep. Is it a Miniball? Is it Revolutionary war , or Civil War? Where I'm from and where the ball was recovered it was more Revolutionary war activity versus Civil War. It's really heavy.

Minie Balls are conical bullets usually with a hollow base introduced in the mid 19th century, designed to be more stable and accurate than round balls like the one you found. One of the most common found is often just called a three-ringer, usually in .58 caliber though there are others.

As others have noted, your round ball could be from either period and anywhere in between, including civilian non-military use. The white patina a lot of lead gets with age and chemical reactions in the ground is generally referred to as being lead oxide, though I've also seen it called lead acetate (less frequently).

Nice find, lead is always welcome in my keeper-pouch.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread