Took my Daughters Ace 350 for a test drive !!

NVNutcase

Sep 9, 2013
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Took my Daughter's Ace 350 for a test drive !!

Went out this morning for a few hours, trying to get a better "feel" for this 350. Totally different than my 705 and that is probably the reason that I investigated this thing. I probably would have skipped over it with my normal machine, thinking it was just a big piece of Iron. Anyways, the Barrel is 20" long and it looks to be .50 caliber. My first Gun !! DSCN1906.JPG DSCN1907.JPG DSCN1908.JPG DSCN1909.JPG DSCN1911.JPG

Upvote 14

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
totally awesome great find, an old one for sure, something a lot of people are looking for... including myself

Erving

Apr 27, 2013
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice find!! I'm not sure, but it looks like a Sharps carbine to me.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NVNutcase

NVNutcase

Sep 9, 2013
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure either, I'll put it over on the What is it forum in a while.

ekeisler

Apr 6, 2013
image-3171261540.jpg

Here's a picture of a Sharps Carbine rifle. I believe it is Civil War era but I'm not an expert. Awesome find!!!

ekeisler

Apr 6, 2013
It was correctly ID'd by TheCannonBallGuy in the What is it? Forum as a Maynard carbine. The "ball" in the barrel of the gun is actually the brass casing of the Maynard carbine bullet. Great find!

DonDigger

Jan 11, 2013
Galveston Bay Area
Detector(s) used
Teknetics, Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the Maynard carbine. Great find. A basically complete carbine still containing a cartridge with just the stock missing. That really makes you think about how this was lost. Any battles in the area? There could have also been a butt plate in the ground just a little ways from the barreled action. Did you check just off the butt end of the action about 15 inches with your detector? May be some more of it in the ground.

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats amazing!!!, what a find of a lifetime, I vote banner all the way!!! Id go back and look for the butt plate

RelicDude

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2012
north west connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that is awesome. The one good thing about the 350 is that it's good at finding iron and cans. But awesome find that butt plate is most likely there.

Sent from my iPod touch using TreasureNet

OP
OP
NVNutcase

NVNutcase

Sep 9, 2013
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do plan on going back out there, this time with my 705, to look for some other parts. And yes, there were Battles in the area, (post Civil War), mostly because of Claim Jumping.

danimal03

Feb 13, 2012
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mega-rare Civil War carbine dug

wow this is a mega find. I found this post on the 'what is it?' forum first and had to trace this original post. This is a Maynard 2nd model carbine and not the 1st model. the first model had a patchbox cover and long range site and is associated with CS CS cavalry. this one was made sometime mid-war and would have likely originally been issued to Union cavalry.

I do not recall ever seeing a near complete dug one. it is a valuable dug firearm for this reason as there are guys out there that collect dug firearms and this is a tough one to get. I would leave it as is to include leaving the cartridge in it. I do not see a percussion cap on it so even if somehow the hammer could be made to move again it should not fire.

I would mount it up on antique barn wood with a plaque and just leave it. the rust looks stable and I have hunted out west and the iron there in the desert is generally stable and should not come apart.

this is a banner find and I will nominate it as such. you may want to try and change the title of this post so people will notice it and view it. Congrats on a maga rare find!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

texjim

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2009
schuylkill county pa.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites xlt,vx3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to agree with the Banner find... I have never seen one posted before that i can remember.....Awesome job.

OP
OP
NVNutcase

NVNutcase

Sep 9, 2013
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I didn't find the Buttplate or anything else "Gun Related", but I did find this. Pretty certain it's not a CC coin. I can't believe someone would do this to the Pretty Lady. DSCN1912.JPG DSCN1913.JPG

atprolen

Jul 25, 2013
Northern michigan
Detector(s) used
Ace350. At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow. Amazing find just goes to show. U never know !!! Congrats. And nice coin also

texjim

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2009
schuylkill county pa.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites xlt,vx3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what i have been told is people would tie there change to there clothes so they would not loose there change.

ATpro5

Jan 4, 2013
SW Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster,At Pro,Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow look at that condition!!! That is a amazing gun. Build a display case for that and hang it on the wall. And as for the dime, it was very common to hole coins so they could be strung to prevent losing them. I also vote banner.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions