Bullets in wood from the trenches today (and how to prepare them for display)

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Had a good day in the trenches with a couple of bullets, a shell frag and some bullets in wood - 4 "bucks" (from buck-and-ball loads) and a .69 cal roundball. All these were from union trenches, presumably from the trees soldiers would pile on top of earthworks.

I've never seen a "how to" regarding preparation of BIW for display, so I thought I'd share what I do.

When you find a piece of wood in a trench or on a battlefield that produces a signal, a bullet inside is likely. But what do you do to display it? In the old days, some guys pried the bullets OUT! But they are worth far more, and are far more interesting, still in the tree.

Here's how one was found. It's the wood under the shovel.

P2200028.JPG P2200029.JPG

Let's start with a "buck." Looked like this when found:

P2210044.JPG

Gently brush loose dirt away and look for a natural crack, or a good place to split the piece WITH the grain.

P2210045.JPG

Start splitting or "peeling" away the wood, looking for the bullet. You don't want to CUT it,as you might cut the bullet, destroy the patina, and expose shiny lead. You want to SPLIT or PEEL the wood away in VERY thin strips until the bullet is exposed. Just a tiny thin sliver at a time. Patience here will pay off later.

P2210046.JPG

The wood splits better after it has had a few days to dry out, BUT you run the risk of the shrunken wood allowing the bullet to fall out. I like to expose the lead when the wood is still damp. You have to choose a time to QUIT which might be difficult. You want a good display, but go too far, and it falls out. I chose to quit here:

P2210047.JPG

Some people might think this is a lot of trouble to go to for just a buck, but I love ANY bullet in wood from a trench. Here's another, before and after:

P2210042.JPG P2210043.JPG

And here's the .69 cal ball, in the process, and where I stopped:

P2210048.JPG P2210049.JPG P2210050.JPG P2210051.JPG P2210052.JPG P2210053.JPG

I will let these dry out for a few days, and then CAREFULLY immerse them in SATIN FINISH polyurethane to stabilize them. remember, once dry, the bullets may be loose and ready to dislodge. I made a tiny "cradle" out of screen to immerse them in the poly. They look good in your display!

P2210056.JPG

Here's my take for the day-

P2210033.JPG

Upvote 12

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey parson!! REALLY NEAT FIND!! Looks Great!! Thanks for sharing!! Any Idea what may have been the original episode of where the bullet may have come?? GOOD LUCK and GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
very good post

FamilyFun2010

Apr 16, 2010
Morehead, Ky
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter, Whites Spectrum XLT, Whites TRX pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great pics! Hope to find something like that someday! Now just gotta find someone in, oh I don't know,:dontknow: lets say Virginia, to let me come hunt with them!:thumbsup: :laughing7:

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good job PW!!! I have only found one in wood. It was in the fork of a dead tree that had fallen. The tree was only about a foot in diameter. I carefully split the fork and since my wife is a big CW buff, I let her remove the bullet so she would be the first to touch it since it grew into the tree nearly 150 years ago. Good instructional advice as well. HH, Q.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I really like how you carved that out,nice display.

OP
OP
parsonwalker

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey parson!! REALLY NEAT FIND!! Looks Great!! Thanks for sharing!! Any Idea what may have been the original episode of where the bullet may have come?? GOOD LUCK and GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

Well, the trenches are in a deep bottom. The yankees were defending a hill behind them, and their first line was at the base of the hill behind them. They were in a terrible spot. Hill behind (friendly) and hill in front (hostile). The Confederates charged down the hill into these trenches and they poured a lot of fire into them. It is an early-war site, so a lot of buck 'n' Balls are found there. The Confederates over-ran these trenches and eventually took the union hill.

Hey FamilyFun - I used to preach at a church in Bracken County. Not far from Maysville. A little place called Foster, Kentucky.

Oh, and Q - Didn't you post a video of your wife being the first to touch that bullet? I feel like I've SEEN that!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread