Whats up with all these carbide tungsten rings???

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
What's up with all these tungsten carbide rings???

While passing time waiting on the colonial fields to open up this fall I've been having fun hitting the local saltwater beaches. Obviously the main objective is to pass my coil over a nice piece of gold jewelry, but so far this season that hasn't happened. On a positive note, I have dug 3 of those nice, heavy tungsten carbide rings. With the high price of gold it appears many are opting for this cheaper alternative. A couple of years ago the material of choice seemed to be cobalt but those have not been turning up lately. Regardless, I've been having a blast roaming around in waist to chest deep water and getting more experience with this not-as-easy-as-it-looks pastime. But recently the water temps have warmed to the point that the dreaded jellyfish have made their appearance in a big way, and I had to resort to long pants in the water this morning. But, whatever it takes .....

Attachments

• 071714b.JPG
    071714b.JPG
    95.2 KB · Views: 155
  • 071714a.JPG
    071714a.JPG
    148.6 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
Upvote 10

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like your having a blast and looks like you're digs have been productive. I personally bought one of those rings after I lost my gold band.....I have since lost the cheap one too. (I think you've caught on Bill that I lose a lot of things). I may just get another cheap one since I run the risk of losing it again.

Are you getting better at retrieving your targets in the deep water?

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
at least they are nice looking rings, a whole lot better and nicer than those aluminum ones I have found

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Sounds like your having a blast and looks like you're digs have been productive. I personally bought one of those rings after I lost my gold band.....I have since lost the cheap one too. (I think you've caught on Bill that I lose a lot of things). I may just get another cheap one since I run the risk of losing it again.

Are you getting better at retrieving your targets in the deep water?

For me its not really any more difficult in deeper water. The pinpoint function on my machine works quite well which is a big help. I'd say that I'm retrieving the target on the first scoop about 60-65% of the time which is a nice improvement from last summer. But sometimes it takes 3 or 4.

And yeah, I know you're prone to losing stuff (just like me!). We still need to go back to that site and find your cut silver that grew legs.

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice Bill! What do those Cobalt rings look like? Maybe I have found one

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am pretty new at the water hunting, but I grew to hate that foil floating around, chased it for a while before I realized what it was.... yeah, slow learner

Col.Philo95thNY

Jul 27, 2007
Ocala, Florida
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MineLab Explorer I & II, SE Pro, Fisher CZ-20, Fisher 6a, Bounty Hunter LandStar
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's the trend in the last few years... Stainless Steel and Tungsten Ring. Some are worth some bucks...

Col.Philo

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill, have you seen my water hunt threads lately? I'm in fresh water, but this Sunday I'm headed for ocean. I want to try that 3 hour low tide change. I think it might make it a little easier. Thinking there might be less current??? I'm on my phone and your pix didn't come up. I'll look later

foilfinder

Jul 15, 2014
Ardmore Ok.
Detector(s) used
Sovereign/WOT,Goldquest,DFX,Tesoro DeLeon,
Fisher Impulse.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the rings, The type metal rings are made from seems to follow gold prices, seems like a natural effect..people want jewelry and if gold is high they choose another metal, If gold ever gets to 8-900 an ounce we`ll see more gold out there i`m sure.
Good luck out there.

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Toss emm in the junk pile - not worth anything.......sadly

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About the only thing they are better than is corroding zincs!

texjim

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2009
schuylkill county pa.
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites xlt,vx3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have one of those tungsten rings. i love it i can't scratch it and i don't have to get it cleaned like my wife's gold ring. Nice job on the rings...

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool rings, good work I know that wasn't easy!

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Bill, have you seen my water hunt threads lately? I'm in fresh water, but this Sunday I'm headed for ocean. I want to try that 3 hour low tide change. I think it might make it a little easier. Thinking there might be less current??? I'm on my phone and your pix didn't come up. I'll look later

I saw where you've been getting into water hunting Brad. Its definitely a different animal from field hunting, but still just as fun and rewarding. I'll be looking for your diamond ring post soon.

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
Not a bad haul Bill, although I know you are waiting for that gold in the scoop. Keep after it and you will get a nice one.
-Evan

The Sanddigger

Nov 15, 2012
Tidewater VA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II
Garrett AT Pro
Nox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The new Spike Stainless I just found retails for $49.99 but on Ebay, you can get it for $7.45 with free shipping. WHOO HOO!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread