NEL 15” Attack coil on my Garrett AT PRO

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
NEL 15” Attack coil on my Garrett AT PRO... 7-18-2014
I took it out today for its second short outing to a house that I have went over with my ACE 350 & my AT PRO. I even went over this yard in both directions trying to clean it out. I found a lot of stuff on this yard including (1) merc. The house looks to have been built in the 1950's and the yard is small approx 25' x 30'. I figured I was done with it and wasn’t going to go back. Then I thought what a great place to try the new NEL coil combo. I found all of this tonight in approx 1.5 hours. I found a rusty knife, small cheap piece of jewelry, 14 coins including (2) wheats... 1938D & 1944S. I also dug a lot of junk. I need to get used to this coil. The coil is very quiet and all of this was found 4-8” deep. The coil separated the good targets very well. Tomorrow morning is a 4 hour test hunt with this new combo. I will give you an update when I get back.

Gary from Oregon

Attachments

• md1.jpg
    md1.jpg
    669.2 KB · Views: 177
  • md2.jpg
    md2.jpg
    559.5 KB · Views: 195
  • md3.jpg
    md3.jpg
    495.1 KB · Views: 180
Upvote 10
OP
OP
masterjedi

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Update 7-19-2014
I could not go out to the field I wanted to this morning the sprinkler system was running and the grass was like 7" tall. I will go back to this later. I picked a very trashy house built approx 1900 and it was not good. This large coil is for large low trash areas or a place that has already been gone over. I went to a house that was built in the 1940's that I had went over 2 times in both directions. I thought I had cleaned it out with my AT PRO with the standard coil. I found this today and found 3 wheat's that were missed somehow in the 2 times I was there before? I make a point to try to not miss anything! This NEL large coil goes deeper and it also finds coins that are iffy signals on the standard coil. Each of these hits were not iffy but solid hits each time. I am very happy with this coil for what it is intended for. I wish I was a beach hunter, this thing would be awesome. md4.jpg md5.jpg md6.jpg md7.png

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gary..great post! good to hear that there is more great targets lurking underneath the soil! I am getting ready to order the 5"x8" coil-for the HIGH trash busy areas..and now you have me re-thinking..maybe order BOTH of the large and small coils..and get ALL my bases covered..thanks for sharing..enjoyed it..ddf

OP
OP
masterjedi

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You're welcome yes I love my 5x8 it is great in high trash areas around old houses but I also love this new Big coil! it really makes all your old places new.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice bunch of finds!

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've got the 13 x 14 storm went back to the stock DD because it is better ib trashy areas like the parks I hunt. Good luck and keep us posted

OP
OP
masterjedi

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes you definitely want to use the right coil for the right application. These big coils are not good for trashy areas. you would be amazed by the target separation from the small 5 by 8 coil...

mfriday

Greenie
Apr 18, 2014
Michigan
Detector(s) used
At Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds! I found one of those "Campus" things last year and have absolutely no clue what it is. Anyone here know?

OP
OP
masterjedi

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes a guy on a different thread said it is a zipper pull from an old college sweatshirt. He even sent a picture of one on a sweatshirt.

thommo59

Mar 6, 2014
Australia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Garrett AT PRO
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How was the weight on the Nell?

OP
OP
masterjedi

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The weight at first seemed heavy but I just shortened the shaft length and it didn't feel much different than the stock coil... I used it for 3-4 hours with no problem. But it is not like the 5 X 8 which I super light.

frogginfish

Dec 18, 2012
Southwest Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher F2 w/11" DD coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your great finds! I've not heard of this coil you're using...maybe I'll have to look into it.

OP
OP
masterjedi

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
NEL ATTACK 15” COIL on AT PRO test ***

This is from Sunday mornings 3rd test run with this combo. As you can see by the pictures I found 39 coins (none good) at this 1912 house, in the front yard, that has been condemned by fire. (14) coins I found on one side of the front yard that I had went over 2X already with the 5x8 coil. The conclusion is that the original Garrett coils give you tons of info on the target below and tell you what you may not want to dig. The NEL coil tells you what you should dig. You will dig more bottle caps, but you will dig more coins! I found the dragonfly pin on the side I already went over 2X with the 5x8 coil? All of the signals I dug with the NEL coil were solid double pings. I do not know how I missed them with the factory coil? If this NEL coil was a piece of garbage I would also post that, but so far has been awesome. I found (5) wheats on the 2nd outing on lawns I already had went over 2x with the standard coils. I also found a nice “Black Hills” silver ring too! More feedback on the 15” ATTACK coil to follow.

Gary from Oregon md11.jpg md22.jpg md33.jpg md44.jpg md55.jpg md66.jpg md77.jpg md88.jpg md99.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread