Toy Cannon, Any Help with Age Appreciated

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My buddy found this while we were hunting yesterday and I told him I would try to help with a little info about it. Sorry I don't have dimensions yet but will add them later. He also found a Mass Cent. I was so happy to out him on a site that produced his first old finds. He's a hell of a nice guy. Thanks guys image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Upvote 6

Greylock

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Western MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really like these, so I hope you don't mind me posting a couple, to show you that they did various sizes. Also I include one of my fav finds & one the public always comment on, the pentronel, a 17th C working fishtail musket:
That is awesome Cru! I love that musket. Incredible

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for that info Cru. I would still like to load it up and hear it go bang. The one I have is a bit different than the ones you guys found. Mine must not be that old. That musket is one of the coolest things I've ever seen.

Thanks, they are much rarer than the cannons, & when they do turn up they are normally busted up by the plough. I was very lucky to get such a good example & it will probably remain my only lifetime find of this type.
The earliest examples of these hand held rifles/guns are from the late 16th C & they are super rare, one was shown on the show above by a Mudlark.

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love the toy cannon Ahab ! More often seen in U.K. But some made it over here ! Nice find on another Mass. Copper as well ! Looks like a good site ! MaineRelic

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love the toy cannon Ahab ! More often seen in U.K. But some made it over here ! Nice find on another Mass. Copper as well ! Looks like a good site ! MaineRelic

That is a good point, they are a much rarer find on your side of the pond.

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice findings there, doubt any toy cannons will ever show up here!

Jul 21, 2014
Saco, Maine
Detector(s) used
T2SE, CZ-21, Prizm V
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My buddy found this while we were hunting yesterday and I told him I would try to help with a little info about it. Sorry I don't have dimensions yet but will add them later. He also found a Mass Cent. I was so happy to out him on a site that produced his first old finds. He's a hell of a nice guy. Thanks guys View attachment 1025694
View attachment 1025695
View attachment 1025696
View attachment 1025697

Hey everyone, I'm Abe's friend that found the cannon and Mass cent. Gotta tell you guys what you probably already know - Abe's a class act and a heckuva detectorist! I'd primarily been a beach guy with my CZ-21 and parks with the Prizm V until I read his posts about the T2SE when I was thinking about getting a new land machine. He's thoroughly impressed me with his knowledge about researching, detecting, history and the T2. He and I share the same ability to get ourselves into sticky situations, and luckily the ability to get out of them too... :)

Thank you to all for your input! The post with a link to a blown up cannon was beyond awesome. Greylock can you please post a pic of the mill cannon you found here? I'd love to see that pic, plus pics of any other small cannons that folks have found. I don't consider that a thread hijack - I consider it a great collection of cannon pics. I will measure it tonight when I get home from work and post the dimensions. My goal is to understand the history behind this cannon and see a picture of the wooden mount so I can create/carve a replica for display.

Does anyone have a recommendation on cleaning (don't do it, do it, and if yes then recommendations)? I have only rinsed with water to clear the barrel and fuse hole, and light wash of the exterior. My instincts tell me to leave it as is (and part says that I've already done too much cleaning) but I'd like to hear your thoughts. Again, thank you everyone for your thoughts!

danimal03

Feb 13, 2012
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Real nice find. I love these toy cannons. I think the earlier date range mentioned circa late 18th century to early/mid 19th century is a correct range. A friend of mine found one a few years ago at a plantation site in the South that had been 'cleared' by the archaeological team for modern development. The archies left a pile of dirt by the hole. My friend detected this dirt pile and found this cannon circa early 1800's or so. He also found some early relics as well. The site is now under condos. This little reminder of the past would have ended in a landfill had it not been the efforts of my friend. When I saw it I wanted it for my collection. I had to pay dearly for it but it is a neat piece of history. I would leave yours as is and not fool with it. I personally feel they had little wooden carriages which has since rotted away. I have never seen one with a carriage. I suppose they could have been sold without a carriage as well and fired in the hand.

You could damage it by attempting to clean it and there is really not much else to do to it. It is perfect as it is in my opinion. it will look amazing in your display. congratulations.

Attachments

• IMG_5960.JPG
    IMG_5960.JPG
    919.1 KB · Views: 58

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone, I'm Abe's friend that found the cannon and Mass cent. Gotta tell you guys what you probably already know - Abe's a class act and a heckuva detectorist! I'd primarily been a beach guy with my CZ-21 and parks with the Prizm V until I read his posts about the T2SE when I was thinking about getting a new land machine. He's thoroughly impressed me with his knowledge about researching, detecting, history and the T2. He and I share the same ability to get ourselves into sticky situations, and luckily the ability to get out of them too... :)

Thank you to all for your input! The post with a link to a blown up cannon was beyond awesome. Greylock can you please post a pic of the mill cannon you found here? I'd love to see that pic, plus pics of any other small cannons that folks have found. I don't consider that a thread hijack - I consider it a great collection of cannon pics. I will measure it tonight when I get home from work and post the dimensions. My goal is to understand the history behind this cannon and see a picture of the wooden mount so I can create/carve a replica for display.

Does anyone have a recommendation on cleaning (don't do it, do it, and if yes then recommendations)? I have only rinsed with water to clear the barrel and fuse hole, and light wash of the exterior. My instincts tell me to leave it as is (and part says that I've already done too much cleaning) but I'd like to hear your thoughts. Again, thank you everyone for your thoughts!

Welcome to Tnet.

I carved a wooden stock for mine & I later brought a metal one that fit perfect, it's up to you, but no cleaning is needed.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The mahogany wood one (I made) I have yet to find after replacing it with a modern repilca metal type:

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    138.7 KB · Views: 48

Greylock

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Western MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome. Can't wait to see what you find next. Here's the one I found from an old mill. Got some great stuff from there today too.

image-3107162109.jpg

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome. Can't wait to see what you find next. Here's the one I found from an old mill. Got some great stuff from there today too.

View attachment 1026423
"Some" great stuff! Lol that may be the understatement of the century my friend. You just dug 4 coins that most will never find one of in there lifetime. I am utterly disgusted with you Grey! :-)

Greylock

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Western MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haha. You're right. I just watched the video of it and wow. It was exciting watching it. I forgot how long I dug for but it was 20 min long. 5 minutes of finds and 15 minutes of my boots, metal detector, and digging the hole. Oh and me talking to myself. I'd edit and post but Its pretty funny the way it is. I think ill start taping every time I go and see if I talk to myself all the time.

Mduece

Jun 14, 2014
South West NH
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro / Bounty Hunter Platinum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool finds. Congrats to your friend

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a beautiful little cannon your buddy found, looks like it might be made of bronze. I found one very similar but I think mine was made of brass. I got my cannon from a site that yeilded many late 1700s and early 1800s coins and buttons. those are some nice finds for sure.
ZDD

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a beautiful little cannon your buddy found, looks like it might be made of bronze. I found one very similar but I think mine was made of brass. I got my cannon from a site that yeilded many late 1700s and early 1800s coins and buttons. those are some nice finds for sure. ZDD
Same site I found that old brass pistol barrel at Dave. I've only been there twice and have found the gun barrel, 1782 2 Reale, 1877 Seated Dime, 1851 20 centimes, 1821 large cent, a silver button and my bud dug a beautiful garter buckle, the cannon and a Mass state copper. The killer is that there's a 1661 homestead site there somewhere. Oh yeah I found my favorite axe head too. Hope all well brother. Where's my friend Rick been anyway? All the best to you both, Abe

image-848966251.jpg

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
My goal is to understand the history behind this cannon and see a picture of the wooden mount so I can create/carve a replica for display.

The wooden carriages were just simple blocks of wood cut into a rough shape of a ships gun carriage.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread