Toy Cannon, Any Help with Age Appreciated

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My buddy found this while we were hunting yesterday and I told him I would try to help with a little info about it. Sorry I don't have dimensions yet but will add them later. He also found a Mass Cent. I was so happy to out him on a site that produced his first old finds. He's a hell of a nice guy. Thanks guys image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Upvote 6
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
It might not be a toy,(fully functional) small cannon were presented to ships officers way back when.The cannon carriages were made out of the same wood the ship was built with.

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow Abe. That thing rocks. Saw another post on one but do not remember where and remember that they can go back WAY further than I would have imagined. Not even sure if it was on Tnet. Anxious to see some of the experts chime in. Just out of curiosity, how deep was it?

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
yes, very shootable, not necessarily a toy in the sense we call toys now, too bad you couldn't find the rest of the metal parts that probably went with it. very awesome find for one of his first finds! it takes another nice guy to do something like that for someone else, an unselfish person. just saying

toddsumm1

Feb 19, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro w/ProPointer/White's DFX 300/White's DFX/White's Eagle Spectrum/Radio Shack (Bounty Hunter)/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You really need to check this video out! I just watched it last night. Really cool find.

Watch "Thames Treasure Hunters 720p" on YouTube
Thames Treasure Hunters 720p:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They did work & were a Gentleman's table piece.(not a toy as such, well a big boys toy) Starting making this type in the 18th C, hard to date but I would guess 1790-1850.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It might not be a toy,(fully functional) small cannon were presented to ships officers way back when.The cannon carriages were made out of the same wood the ship was built with.

Nice story, maybe 'some' were, but they are a fairly well known & 'commonish' find in the UK. People with money had them as a talking point, maybe the odd rich kid had ago, as H&S was not so strong back in the 18th C.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Record ID: SUSS-68AA74 - POST MEDIEVAL toy - Database
PAS dates it to 1700-1750, but you have to be careful, there dating is often wrong. I forget the evolution of these but I thought the end looked late 18th, rather than early. They also didn't stop making them until about 1900, I think.
So if we say 18th C, can't be too far wrong.

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Record ID: SUSS-68AA74 - POST MEDIEVAL toy - Database PAS dates it to 1700-1750, but you have to be careful, there dating is often wrong. I forget the evolution of these but I thought the end looked late 18th, rather than early. They also didn't stop making them until about 1900, I think. So if we say 18th C, can't be too far wrong.
Cru thanks for your response and info. It's much appreciated

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love both of those finds equally

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow Abe. That thing rocks. Saw another post on one but do not remember where and remember that they can go back WAY further than I would have imagined. Not even sure if it was on Tnet. Anxious to see some of the experts chime in. Just out of curiosity, how deep was it?
That thing was about 10" down bud. Much deeper than most items off this site

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice one. I never pay too much attention to the date on those... and as long as they're not modern junk metal, and look like that, they're old enough for me.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
too bad you couldn't find the rest of the metal parts that probably went with it.

If it was a presentation cannon to a ships officer it was mounted in a simple wooden block,no other pieces.My brother has a few of them that he picked up at an antique store.They range from the size of the one pictured,to one most likely belonging to the ships captain,that is big enough to fit a .44 ball into it.

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it was a presentation cannon to a ships officer it was mounted in a simple wooden block,no other pieces.My brother has a few of them that he picked up at an antique store.They range from the size of the one pictured,to one most likely belonging to the ships captain,that is big enough to fit a .44 ball into it.
Very cool thanks for the great info bud

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

True, I think they were in a wooden mount, although I have never seen a reference of a complete 18th C example. Although I'm sure they are out there somewhere.

I think your story is later than this 18th C example, unless you know a reference of this practice that I don't? Possible I guess, do you have it?

As far as I'm know this was a typical high end toy, expensive but widely available. Not sure where they were made but Birmingham, UK would be a good guess.

Greylock

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Western MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those little cannons are cool. Just found one myself at a mill I've been pounding. I would like to see it fire a round. Now that would be something.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
True, I think they were in a wooden mount, although I have never seen a reference of a complete 18th C example. Although I'm sure they are out there somewhere.

I think your story is later than this 18th C example, unless you know a reference of this practice that I don't? Possible I guess, do you have it?

The practice is most likely US navy.The reference is what my brother told me through his research,i have never researched the practice myself.All I know is that when a ship was commissioned,all the officers of the new ship were presented with the cannon which were mounted on the same wood that the ship was built with.The cannon my brother has were bought in a NY antique shop that was near Fort Ticonderoga,he also bought a one pounder deck swivel gun.

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those little cannons are cool. Just found one myself at a mill I've been pounding. I would like to see it fire a round. Now that would be something.
You shoot, I will watch :-)

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Pretty sure most were fired with black powder but with no round, it was just for effect. Flash - Bang. Although many examples have been found which have been blown to bits. So they either had a weak cannon or over charged it, or maybe they did try & put a small round in & it struck.

http://kcl-antiquities.co.uk/an-18t...oy-cannon-exploded-through-use-sold-403-p.asp
Example above. Seen many more.

Last edited:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really like these, so I hope you don't mind me posting a couple, to show you that they did various sizes. Also I include one of my fav finds & one the public always comment on, the pentronel, a 17th C working fishtail musket:

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    135.9 KB · Views: 62

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions