Stage Coach Road gives up 2nd Capped Bust silver ! 25 C.

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had to drive 140 miles north today to help get ready for a big family reunion at my brothers camp on the pond there next weekend ! I got my chores done and decided to hit the old stadgecoach road headed north from there ! This was the only road through there in the early to mid 1850's With every thing really grown in and thick around the scattered foundations I decided to stay on the road and hit the numerous wash outs along the old road that no longer accepts automobile traffic . Only ATV's and snowmobiles travel this stretch of the old Stagecoach road. In the fall of 2012 I hads found a large cent and my first ever Capped bust silver on this road. It was a 1835 dime that had been gravel washed pretty hard by all the years of travel over it . Today I found a large cent about 50 feet off the main road . Wow ! How had I missed that before ! It was a screaming signal only an inch and a half down in a washed out gully ! As you can see the large cent took quite a bit of gravel scouring but it came out nice after a little coin wax . A two piece domed button A buckle , and a few cartridge shells and I hit the big puddle ! A 30 foot long water crossing ! It was not as deep as the last time I was here and it was a lot warmer so I decided to get wet and hunt the small water crossing ! On my way out the other side almost through it I get a very good hit ! 02/29 on the explorer an almost always silver reading . ! The machine was showing it only 3 inches down in the gravel. This was still under 6 inches of muddy water though . It took me awhile to free up the hard packed gravel under the water but eventually I got the gravel to lift ! The signal was out of the hole ! I could not locate it with the pinpointer because the water was too deep ! I finally had it in my hand and rinced it in the muddy water ! I could see the bust ! :headbang: Though I do not think I hit it with the shovel ! It did sustain a few scratches coming out of the hard packed gravel ! I am tickled as hell Regaurdless ! Thanks for looking and happy treasure hunting to all ! MaineRelic

Attachments

• IMG_4359-001.JPG
    IMG_4359-001.JPG
    100.6 KB · Views: 226
  • IMG_4364-002.JPG
    IMG_4364-002.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 258
  • IMG_4367-001.JPG
    IMG_4367-001.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 220
Upvote 18

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
wow very nice finds! i always get excited when I see 02/29 and > 8" deep! :icon_thumright:

dig kzoo

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2013
Kalamazoo co. MI
Detector(s) used
1 Minelab CTX3030, 2 Garrett AT Gold, Garrett ACE 350, 2 Bounty Hunter tracker IV,BH Junior, 2 Garrett pro pointers
a family adventure!!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice! your on to something there.

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful quarter, thanks for sharing!

Steve

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow man that capped bust is awesome

hunting deer

Jul 21, 2010
Indiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome coins and good story! Got to be more.

goldbill

May 6, 2009
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites v3 deus v4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find relic. You forgot to tell everyone about the turkey size mosquitoes in that part of the state! Goldbill

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys and these Capped Bust, your killing me! What is it Capped Bust day? Ha, congrats, I think I would do the running around, cartwheels, and sliding into home plate (that would be a sight to see) If I found one of those.
Does anyone else think it strange that when certain coins come up, it always seems that someone else has the same/somewhat finds right around those few days. I know I'm going out to find my Capped Bust, I woke up thinking about it. lol

Citiboy289

Aug 9, 2012
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Various depends on the need at the moment
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Find ! Proves what alittle research can accomplish ! Always wonder the loss of a Quarter from that period of time had to be a major financial setback to the person who lost it.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hell yeah buddy. Don't see those everyday(except for today :-) That is one I would love to find some day. Awesome bud just awesome

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Way to go! I've found more than a dozen large cents this year and have also found half and 2 real pieces, but have yet to find a bust silver coin. Your capped bust quarter is a really nice find. And for those of us detecting for a while, we understand the type of conditions you were working with to get it out. Sometimes when you're working with hardpack gravel or digging something out for under a big root you just can't tell it's going to be a great coin until it's out of the ground. Just the nature of the beast and some of them are going to get some scratches and hits. Your piece looks like a pretty high grade coin grading VF-XF from what I can see. HH

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
WOW...very very nice coins. Congrats.

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MR Great looking Early US silver , must be capped bust month here :icon_scratch: quite a few threads of these lost and found beauties lately >>>>> very kool :occasion14: take care .... parasites and poison ivy

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sweet quarter! you sure don't see many bust coins larger than a dime posted very often. congrats!

OP
OP
MaineRelic

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought everyone already knew of the legendary sized Mosquitos In the northern part of Maine LOL MR

Last edited:
OP
OP
MaineRelic

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Dawg good to hear from you ! Poison ivy . Parasites and undergrowth is why I was hunting the road itself ! MR

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread