πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Went out after work to one of my old sites. Being it's been hit pretty hard by me in the past, I decided today I would dig anything. My second target was an awfull sounding one, bounced from iron nail up to a quarter. But a consistent bounce, so I dug it. My first gold ring and a good one at that. Stamped Tiffany & CO with some kind of reddish image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg stone. Really dark gold so maybe 18, 22k? Gonna take it to a jeweler to check. Thanks for looking, Mike

Upvote 25

HCW

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2007
Metro west ,Boston
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Whites MXT "retired"
We'll Tiffany & co wasn't much help. They want $500 just to look a it, and all they would provide is date of manufacture and the artist. No appraisal, nor who it was sold to. He did say it genuine and very pretty but nothing else. Now what?
Sorry. I may be sending you on a fool's errand ,(Again) but the Main branch in Manhattan might be more informative, but call and see what they say. It's just a phone call. I remember going there for my engagement ring and wedding bands back when I was living in N.Y. (long time ago)

OP
OP
MrMikeJackie

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry. I may be sending you on a fool's errand ,(Again) but the Main branch in Manhattan might be more informative, but call and see what they say. It's just a phone call. I remember going there for my engagement ring and wedding bands back when I was living in N.Y. (long time ago)
I guess a phone call couldn't hurt? I'll try tomorrow. Thanks!

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well for $500 if you get a certificate of authenticity from them it might be worth it when you go to sell, but most antique shops should be able to give you a rough estimate.

Shave haircut and a suit and a pretext that you were looking to update grandmas ring because you wife likes white gold better might have gotten you more info, but ya gotta be you!

dirtTick

Jul 7, 2014
Johns Island, SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 (current)
Garrett AT PRO
White's Prizm 5G

Garrett Pro-Pointer AT (current)
Garrett CSI Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Liking the advice on grandma's ring, but in the end if you don't look the part, sob story or not, they are gonna look down their long ass noses at you and your ring. Antique Roadshow would be awesome considering the unbiased fun it offers, but that'll give no answer soon. Antique jeweler - or an actual old "age" jeweler/small shop would atleast put you in a semi ball park. Honestly though I would take ever estimate you get with a grain of salt considering if it is something spectacular the vultures come to prey. Good luck and I can't wait to hear something!

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm sure they would, if I had on a pink shirt, white shorts, and pulled up in a convertible BMW.:laughing7:

They may have an attitude toward you but remember, YOU have that ring and it's a real beauty. Pay no mind to those stuffed shirts and their 500.00 BS appraisal. There's more than one way to skin a cat.

You already had the last laugh on this one the moment you pulled that ring from that hole.

Last edited:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful ring! Congrats! Hey giggle all you want you've earned it!

Butter Hat

Apr 6, 2014
In ur innerwebz
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They may have an attitude toward you but remember, YOU have that ring and it's a real beauty. Pay no mind to those stuffed shirts and their 500.00 BS appraisal. There's more than one way to skin a cat.

You already had the last laugh on this one the moment you pulled that ring from that hole.

I do think that fee is standard for Tiffany's.

Maybe a high-end auction house such as Sotheby's could appraise it for less. If someone hasn't already mentioned that possibility. Call first! Like others say, don't leave the ring.

I might also call a library or university and ask how you'd go about finding the era for that design.

Google image? Just tossing out ideas.

atprolen

Jul 25, 2013
Northern michigan
Detector(s) used
Ace350. At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't wait to see more on this one. Congrats

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet

OP
OP
MrMikeJackie

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Going today to an estate dealer/appraiser to check it out. Wish me luck!

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They do charge $500 for archival research. The first question on the link below has a phone number for the archives. I would call them and explain your situation. Keep in mind they maybe able to find out who the original owner was and if they do are you planning on returning it to the family? If so I would tell them it would be great PR if you could help me return it to the family. I bet they do the reseach for free.
Tiffany & Co. | Frequently Asked Questions | Archive Services FAQ

Good luck
NJ

OP
OP
MrMikeJackie

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They do charge $500 for archival research. The first question on the link below has a phone number for the archives. I would call them and explain your situation. Keep in mind they maybe able to find out who the original owner was and if they do are you planning on returning it to the family? If so I would tell them it would be great PR if you could help me return it to the family. I bet they do the reseach for free.
Tiffany & Co. | Frequently Asked Questions | Archive Services FAQ

Good luck
NJ
I wondered that myself however the inside is worn to the point where you can only make out Tiffany& barely the CO. No karat mark and no serial #. How can they look it up without a serial #? Is the ring that unique as to only one being made and identified by a picture? I don't know. The estate appraiser was closed by the time I got there today. This is turning into a mission, but hey, it's fun!

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent recovery and beautiful ring. Congratulations.

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol, :laughing7:

I'm sure the owner of the ring is long dead, :dontknow: and the family will be impossible to find. :thumbsup: Its your ring now !! :headbang:

Keep @ it and HH !! :hello2:

OP
OP
MrMikeJackie

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lol, :laughing7:

I'm sure the owner of the ring is long dead, :dontknow: and the family will be impossible to find. :thumbsup: Its your ring now !! :headbang:

Keep @ it and HH !! :hello2:
From my own research this ring is from the mid to late 1800's. I agree, the family is prob long gone by now. But, I feel I kinda know who it belonged to. The original Victorian house is still there, inside a preserve. The house belonged to the owner of a huge duck farm on Long Island. That's all I can say for now and is probably too much info already. But that's okay, I'm not greedy! One of these days I'll put together everything I've found there and show you guys. A lot of personal objects that I believe belonged to that family. I've been putting together a shadow box to showcase most of those finds to which I will present to the historical society in that preserve. The ring however, well, I might keep that one :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread