Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Besides a few irrelevant posts, this is my first one - definitely my first thread on TreasureNet. However, I'm not really new to MDing. I bought my first MD, a Bounty Hunter Lone Star, some years ago about the same time I started bow hunting and was loosing a lot of my practice arrows. While searching for a lost arrow I also found a few other things and that started me off using it for reasons other than lost arrows. As my aim got better though I just sort of left that old machine hanging in the closet. I had to dig that machine out of the closet a few months back after shanking another arrow (haven't done that in a while). While looking for that arrow I also found a pretty beat up 1917 Wheat, and that was enough to get me going again.

I soon found out that that old Bounty Hunter just wasn't gonna cut it if I really wanted to find some serious coinage. So I went to KellyCo and picked out a decent MD that I thought was going to do a good job; a Garrett Ace 350. I found some more coins after I purchased that machine; I actually believed that I had cleaned out my own yard of all the coins that it held onto. This house is old and I have cleaned out a lot of junk as well. I was really not interested in getting too close to the house because of all the roofing nails that I was hitting on. Got real tired of digging those things thinking that they were coins.

My girlfriend then kind of got the bug also and took over the 350 while I was working so I was once again stuck with the Lone Star. That didn't last long. Back to KellyCo I went. This time I got the AT Pro. Today was the first time that I have been able to use it in any kind of serious manner. I decided to give another shot at getting close to the house and the first hit was this 1917 Merc dime, my first silver ever. I reckon not too bad. Picked up three nails in that same hole as well.

I'm struggling with the AT Pro, just not used to it quite yet with all the pops and noises it makes in PRO mode, but if it continues to pull out finds like this, it will be my go-to machine for a good long time.

_DSC3633.jpg _DSC3640.jpg

Thanks for looking and reading.

Upvote 10

Greatday05

Mar 20, 2014
Pittsfield, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Coiltech 15", Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome! I found two 1917 mercs this year. For some reason I pull out mercs more than anything else silver. Good job!

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations! You never forget your first silver! Lol

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find, I'm sure there is allot of coins hiding amongst those nails.I have a feeling they are copper nails? Otherwise it would be very simple to discriminate those iron nails out

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Beautiful merc

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
very nice first Merc and many more to ya! Charlie Garrett is a great guy and wrote some great books too! I met him in AC at the '84 FMDAC annual hunt banquet.

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
R

RileyDigger

Jul 13, 2014
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks everyone, appreciate the responses.

Otherwise it would be very simple to discriminate those iron nails out

Yeah, I know it should be, but I'm one of those guys that will dig anything with a repeatable signal; high tone, low tone or bell tone, doesn't matter. I haven't gotten to the point of really learning not to dig bad signals. Reckon I'll get there eventually once I'm really tired of digging those darn nails.

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet, and congratulations on your first silver!

Steve

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best way to learn your machine is dig everything till you can figure out better what it is telling you . Even then I have days where I will dig every tone just to see what surprises I find . Very nice first silver.

OP
OP
R

RileyDigger

Jul 13, 2014
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Best way to learn your machine is dig everything till you can figure out better what it is telling you . Even then I have days where I will dig every tone just to see what surprises I find . Very nice first silver.

My thoughts exactly; dig em all, sort em out later.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread