Finally! Coinstar Silver

gilgar

Mar 18, 2009
A Little South of Heaven
Detector(s) used
Garrett Treasure Ace 300
I always read about people here finding coinstar silver, but I normally just find pennies (one wheatie), foreign coins and the occasional regular dime, until today at Walmart.

I found a 1963 Rosie along with a play money penny, not in the reject bin, but on the shelf-maybe they thought the silver dime was play money too?

DSC07719.JPG

Silversurfer79

Dec 24, 2013
Southern, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool! I finally found my first silver at a Walmart coinstar yesterday. A 1957 Rosie. It pays to check!

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found 3 silver Roosies in the last month on separate occasions in the local coinstar machine. Also picked up a little foreign to go with them.

Ed-D

Jan 1, 2011
North Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max and Pro, NEL Hunter Coil, ACE Apex for the coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I check whenever I see one, but so far nada. Great find.

cazisme

Aug 6, 2012
Motherload
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So far I found a seated dime very worn and a 1964 dime! I look every time I go to store!

schwabie16

Dec 11, 2013
Reynoldsville, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find! Where abouts do you find the silver on the coinstar machine? I've seen the machines before, but never used one.

OP
OP
gilgar

gilgar

Mar 18, 2009
A Little South of Heaven
Detector(s) used
Garrett Treasure Ace 300
Nice find! Where abouts do you find the silver on the coinstar machine? I've seen the machines before, but never used one.

I found mine on the "shelf" where you set down your jar or whatever, however most of the finds I've read about on here were in the reject bin since the machines apparently sort by weight and size and kick out stuff that doesn't measure up. On the coinstars I see, the reject bin is on the bottom middle, it's kinda like a regular change slot on a vending machine.

Also from what I've read on here there are different brands and even types of coinstar, some have flaps over the reject bin, some you can actually reach into, etc.

Usually they're empty, but when not, my most common finds are pennies & foreign coins. Sometimes you can find coins underneath or around the machine and I've even read of people finding coins in the trash cans they put next to the machines. One guy on here would even swap out the trash bags and take them home--I'm not that hardcore.

don't give up Ed-D. you'll find something good eventually at least 3 others on this thread have found some coinstar silver plus there are other threads with cool coinstar finds. Of course it goes without saying that the more you visit, the better your odds. I don't make special trips but I always check the machines when I'm out shopping.

schwabie16

Dec 11, 2013
Reynoldsville, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, thanks! I don't know if I'll be digging around the bottom of the machine in walmart, but I will definitely check the grate and the reject bin. GL and HH!

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Great finds, it takes a lot of time, and checking to find any silver at the Coinstar!:thumbsup:

I look every time I go to a store with a Coinstar, so far I have found three silver dimes on two occasions.
I have found coins in the tray, coins on the shelf where you set the container of coins, I have found clad coins that people dropped all around the machine, and even a Canada dime on top of the Coinstar (Just brush your hand on the top of the Coinstar). I do not dig deep in the trash, but a couple times I have grabbed coins that I have seem in empty plastic cups sitting in perfect view inside of the trash can. I once pretended to read a cookbook (the Coinstar is in the same aisle as the magazines), while someone was using the Coinstar, I saw he left his rejects in the tray when he was done using the Coinstar, and in there was a Goodluck token from the 1880's advertising some store in Boston. Some people will tell the person using the Coinstar why their coins are not going through, and then offer them money if there is any silver, but I have never tried that. Anyway, Good luck finding some cool coins at the Coinstar!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread