Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like most of my posts this one starts the same....

Me and ZDD...
started out at 8:30 in hopes of finding something old. The first spot we went to looked good had promise, and was in a fairly good area, etc, but just didn't have it. Dave did get a clock gear there, I never dug a target. Dave got a 90's signal that I checked, and said "could be a 8 reale", turned out to be a brass ring. I said "one of these times it will be an 8 reale".

Next spot, we call "french hill" as Dave got a 1677 french silver there last year, conditions were good better than they had ever been, level, and short grass. I got a signal that was high 90's, but did bounce all the way up to 99 which almost always means junk on my Omega. Not suggesting that I wouldn't dig, because targets were not that plentyful. I dug a plug the depth of a small hand trowel of 4 -5 inches, the pin pointer said target still in there, so I just sifted through the loose dry dirt with my left gloved hand, and out came a BIG round disk. For a second I thought aluminium, because I was expecting JUNK, then I saw Carolus face (as blind as I am) Yeah Babby !

Wicked freekin awesome, I thought, 7 years, my first dollar sized coin, and still on my top ten list.

I wasn't shaking like a lot of people say, but I was at the same time pretty excited, and tried to shout to Dave...he wasn't hearing none of that, with headphones on, so I pretty much ran over to him, mentioning the "ring" he had found earlier. He said did you find another, I said, "well almost" I got him to take off his glove and close his eyes, and dropped it in his hand.

This has been a slow year for sure with the cold lasting so long, and then turning so hot so fast, bla, bla, bla.

Anyway this is a find that is / was still on my top ten list so I am very happy today with what I have found. I didn't even take a camera with me today as it was so hot I didn't want to carry any extra gear, so I had to keep it dirty till home for pictures then a water soak for 5 minutes revealed a pretty nice coin.

Yes we (I) did dig a few square nails, and one pewter button, the nails because of the spot being "nearly" hunted out, and so few targets left, but man am I glad we gave it one more shot.

GOOD LUCK OUT THERE !
Rick

Attachments

• find14-11a.JPG
    find14-11a.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 618
  • find14-11b.JPG
    find14-11b.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 531
  • find14-11c.JPG
    find14-11c.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 457
  • find14-11e.JPG
    find14-11e.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 606
  • find14-11f.JPG
    find14-11f.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 587
Upvote 57

ATpro5

Jan 4, 2013
SW Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster,At Pro,Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful coin. You did a great job on cleaning the dirt off. Did you just blast it under some water?

Greylock

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Western MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow. That's a big old piece of silver buddy. Congrats.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that must have sounded like a solid slab of aluminum.. Nice!!!

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well Rick that coin is a monster. For anyone that doesn't know just how large they are here is a pick of of in my hand when he first showed it to me.
20140723_134114.jpg
To me this is a banner find, there are fewer 8Rs posted here then there are gold coins posted. The fact of the matter is that these monsters were just harder to loose then a gold coin so there are fewer of them in the ground.
Awesome find Rick, maybe it will be my turn next.
Banner vote going in.
ZDD

Last edited:

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a nice looker there Rick! A lot of 8 Reales coming out of Canada this year :icon_scratch:. How do you suppose that monster eluded you guys for so long? Some sites save their best for last....glad you went back one more time!

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rick, congrats on getting the big one! Beautiful coin.............

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Someone on here said they dig those by the shovel full down in Florida so I'm not really impressed........

70monte68

Aug 8, 2010
PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T2 SE
TEKNETICS T2 SE (back up)
MINELAB EXCALIBUR 2,
WHITES MX SPORT
Congrats, sweet find!!!

OP
OP
Rick (Nova Scotia)

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a nice looker there Rick! A lot of 8 Reales coming out of Canada this year :icon_scratch:. How do you suppose that monster eluded you guys for so long? Some sites save their best for last....glad you went back one more time!

Hey Steve...we do not know know... we have been to this spot at least a half dozen times... So it was just a lucky guess.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread