I had a relic hunt today...but!!!

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I had a relic hunt but Rick had an awesome hunt. It was strange because other then Ricks giant 8 reale honker we didn't get any other coins, not even a modern penny:icon_scratch:.
I guess that's just the way it goes sometimes.
This site is an old site, one that I found a 1677 french 4 soles silver coin and Rick found 3 2 Reales on last year. We have hit it many times but I believe that you must always return to those productive sites to recheck them every year.
Of my finds I can only identify the pewter spoon pieces and a game piece made from a musket ball, the other brass do-dads I have no idea. I thought one may be a brass musket ball mould but now I don't think so.
20140723_200107.jpg 20140723_200155.jpg 20140723_200141.jpg

Happy hunting everyone

Oh yea Rick has made it quite challenging so I have ordered in an XP Deus just so I can keep up with him.:laughing7:
ZDD

Upvote 7

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely looks like some kind of mold...no idea though. What do you think that lead disk with the hole was used for? I've found dozens of those at one of my more productive sites...

OP
OP
Zodiacdiverdave

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely looks like some kind of mold...no idea though. What do you think that lead disk with the hole was used for? I've found dozens of those at one of my more productive sites...
Hey buddy, hope all is well with you. I think that they were used as checker pieces, but that's just my uneducated guess.
ZDD

Ia.FurTrade

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2008
Southeast Iowa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The long brass piece looks like half a nutcracker to me........

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I think that you are correct, or at least something similar. The broken end looks where it was hinged and the horizontal likes looks like it was where the nut was held.

Is the round, spoon like shape made of pewter? I saw a lead ladle that looked similar to that one time.

OP
OP
Zodiacdiverdave

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That "mold" looks like a colonial curtain rod finial. I found one too.
very well could be a curtian rod final, I hope one day I can locate the other half.
ZDD

OP
OP
Zodiacdiverdave

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you are spot one. Just beyond the end where the nut would sit there is, what looks like a piece of a hinge point. well done on the ID.
Thanks,
ZDD

OP
OP
Zodiacdiverdave

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that you are correct, or at least something similar. The broken end looks where it was hinged and the horizontal likes looks like it was where the nut was held.

Is the round, spoon like shape made of pewter? I saw a lead ladle that looked similar to that one time.
Yes that is the bowl for a pewter spoon. They don't hold up too well in our soil.
HH,
ZDD

Greylock

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Western MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. I've seen the DEUS in action and was very impressed. Good luck.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Dave - sorry you didn't walk over that 8 reale, but I guess things have a way of balancing out. At least you were able to get out and swing which is something I can't do now, except at the beach. With the hunting conditions like they are you guys should continue to hit that site.

OP
OP
Zodiacdiverdave

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dave - sorry you didn't walk over that 8 reale, but I guess things have a way of balancing out. At least you were able to get out and swing which is something I can't do now, except at the beach. With the hunting conditions like they are you guys should continue to hit that site.
The farmer is just starting to deep plow parts of that field and will produce more goodies I am sure.
I should have my new detector tomorrow (fingers crossed) and am very anxious to see what it picks up on there.
ZDD

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope the Deus works well for you. I'm looking forward to seeing one in action myself.

PS, a little bird told me you are getting it today.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Probably hem weights.

BTV Digger

Jul 24, 2014
Northern VT
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro; Fisher F2; Tesoro Silver UMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looking forward to seeing what the Deus does for you. Hunts are like that sometimes. It only takes one good find in a day full of digging trash to make your day though. Just stay positive.

John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions