Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,
Yesterday was my 4 week anniversary of quitting smoking and I decided to face my fear and take on the final obstacle.
Metal detecting was where I smoked the most cigarettes and I have purposely avoided going because of the possible cravings driving me crazy.
I haven't been out hunting in a month and can't take it anymore! :BangHead:
Went to ****** Park where a Volleyball tournament was held last weekend and worked the sand mostly. Dug quite a few targets in 5 hours which kept my mind busy.
The area must have been used later for watching the bands play as there were over 30 beer cans buried in the sand and lots of other garbage.
Someone detected one end of the big court as their footprints and junk targets next to their holes was evident but they gave up quickly with all the beer cans.
As I moved the cans out, big coin spills were nearby. I felt good removing all the jagged ones and other sharp objects as the girls play there with bare feet.
There was one big moment when I really wanted a smoke but I told myself that with dry mouth and a hot body baking in the sun, I would probably feel pretty sh*tty with a head-rush and a gross taste in my parched mouth.
After that, it was smooth sailing! Didn’t really think much about smoking the rest of the day! :hello2:
Found lots of change......

P1120218 (640x588).jpg

I found 8 nickels, 35 dimes, 27 quarters, 31 loonies, ($1) and 10 toonies ($2) for a total of $61.65.
Now that pennies have been out of circulation, I didn't dig one! :headbang:

Here’s the rest of the stuff.......

P1120221 (640x594).jpg

Funny how I find two lighters and an electronic cigarette!
Lots of junk jewellery – all of it crap!
I'm thinking after all that work cleaning out every non-ferrous signal that I would find some kind of precious metal but NO!

Anyway, I spent the rest of my time searching grass and it didn't take long until I got an expanded discriminating signal that I knew wasn't a pull tab.
Popped out this little beauty.......

P1120223 (640x479).jpg

A nice 10K nugget ring that doesn’t even fit my pinky but has some heft to it......

P1120225 (640x374).jpg

I pulled out a few more coins and after too much sun and every type of bug biting, I went home.
Even though it was a good haul, I picked my least favourite type of hunting.
Which means it will be even easier to go relic hunting and not give in to cravings from lack of interest.
Digger Dave is back in action!
What cigarettes?
Just wanted to share that I can continue with my passion again WITHOUT those damn smokes!
WOOHOO!
Cheers,
Dave.

P.S. In case your interested, here's a thread showing my progress in the last 4 weeks from quitting smoking.
If anyone wants to do the same, you'll quickly realize how many great people here at T-net that are willing to help.
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/everything-else/421818-i-quit.html
:thumbsup:

Upvote 19

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Man that was some hunt! You did not mention how many smells were there you would have missed a month ago. Those are very valuable finds as well.
Dang what a hunt though. Big haul. I,m going to load up the truck and try it ,despite other things I should be doing ,like you it's been too long.
Get out there where you really want to hunt. Leave them yucky ashes behind you like you been doin. Congrats!

Greylock

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Western MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice. Congrats on quitting smoking. Something I really need to consider.

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Muddy thats one of my favorite kinds of site to hunt, just not many out here tho, the sport seems to be in decline. Still looks like you had a great hunt there to me , Congrats !!!

TommyB

Jul 24, 2013
OC, Calif
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI & Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
That Iphone is still worth $$$. Look up the model number (google it) and go to the Gazelle.com website. I found an Iphone 5s in about a foot of wet sand.
It was DOA, but Gazelle sent me a check for $70. If yours powers on, more money. I'm sending 2 more in right now. Can't wait for the next low tide!
Great hunt. I wish I had more days like you did.

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As I sit here writing this post I am smoking a cigarette and wishing I had your drive to quit. I know it's all been said to you these last few weeks but GOOD FOR YOU! Please keep it up.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
When I was a respiratory therapist I would see the damage smoking caused to people! It did not take long for me to quit smoking with these daily examples of what it will do to you eventually!
I smoked a pack a day at the time and realized that as soon as I wanted a smoke I would usually just forget about it in seconds! So not having them with me I didn't smoke! I realized my addiction was only as long as it took to get one lit up and then I would forget about it!
I stopped immediately and never smoked again and in no time I wasn't thinking about them at all! It's now been 44 years since I smoked cigarettes!
Congratulations on the hunt and the big ol' shovel full of better health!

Last edited:

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations!

On the finds but more importantly, for making it through the day! You proved you CAN do it!

OP
OP
Muddyhandz

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That Iphone is still worth $$$. Look up the model number (google it) and go to the Gazelle.com website. I found an Iphone 5s in about a foot of wet sand.
It was DOA, but Gazelle sent me a check for $70. If yours powers on, more money. I'm sending 2 more in right now. Can't wait for the next low tide!
Great hunt. I wish I had more days like you did.

Wow, that's some good money! I did not know about this. Thank you!

OP
OP
Muddyhandz

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I sit here writing this post I am smoking a cigarette and wishing I had your drive to quit. I know it's all been said to you these last few weeks but GOOD FOR YOU! Please keep it up.
Hey, that's o.k. when it's your time to quit then it will be whole different ball game! One step at a time. :icon_thumright:

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
congrats on it all, what a way to get back into it again!

Ia.FurTrade

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2008
Southeast Iowa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrat's on quitting, MH!! You''ll have the cravings for a long time, but won't regret quitting.Believe me, I know!
Nice digs!!
By the way, have you been doing any "Fur Trade" hunting? I won't be doing any more 'till the fields open up this Fall........

Iowa Dale

squiggy

Silver Member
Dec 14, 2012
CA
Detector(s) used
Ace 250..garret pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's TERRIFIC! WOW! What a productive hunt!
Kudos to you..

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds ! the ring is good , the coin is welcome , the best find is you realized you can go a day without the smoke ! Good Job .

WawaDuane

Oct 12, 2013
Northern Ontario
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro International
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a good haul of loonies & toonies....good job.

Sod Buster

Jun 14, 2014
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, White's Bullseye TRX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats, your well on your way to kicking a bad habit. Its going on 8 years since I quit. Wasn't easy, but very little is, that's worth it. My Pop worked his butt off for most of his life and then came down with COPD at retirement age. If you can watch that happen and still light up, well then my friend, there is something deeply disturbing about that.

Great hunt by the way:icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
Muddyhandz

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrat's on quitting, MH!! You''ll have the cravings for a long time, but won't regret quitting.Believe me, I know!
Nice digs!!
By the way, have you been doing any "Fur Trade" hunting? I won't be doing any more 'till the fields open up this Fall........

Iowa Dale

Thanks bud. I did some F.T. hunting this spring (if you can call that spring! lol) and found some goodies but that season didn't last long and now I'm anxiously waiting for the fall season like you.
I might hop on my canoe and do some exploration this summer but those bugs are insane this year! Water levels are also high.
My highlights this year so far is a nice HBC button, a beautiful carved prehistoric bone awl, and some sexy iron.
Happy hunting my friend.

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beez.....give quitting a shot....or 3 shots; whatever it takes. Like has been mentioned already, that "urge" to smoke is VERY temporary. If you ignore it, it doesn't get worse, it goes away. I was smoking 2+ packs a day when I quit. With the price of butts today I wouldn't be able to afford to smoke, I'd have to start robbing. :)
Nice day muddy! That's a lot of change!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread