the coins were jumping out of the hole....

7up2000

Jul 6, 2014
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Currently use Garrett AT Pro, Previously used the Fisher F2 for one year
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Started early and got 4 hours of MD in before the brutal desert heat started(Arizona). I hunted 2 locations: an old city park football field and an old house(built 1940s). Altogether I netted 15 memorials, 2 dimes, 2 nickels, 1 wheat penny(all coins were clad), an odd looking Chinese coin(token?--not sure what it is) as well as a small sterling(I think) silver earring and a clad heart necklace pendant. Not a valuable hull but the most coinage I've netted in one day by a long shot. Ironically enough, the wheat penny was the last coin I found and it was partially sticking out of the ground. Go figure!
I am now in my 5th week of MDing and can look back and see how one has to climb the learning curve as well as pay one's dues to learn to reap the most from this hobby. Sure there were days when I wanted to give up. So that is my message to other beginners. Don't give up if you've had a discouraging day. Ask questions of more experienced detectorists if it seems the MD you have isn't getting the job done. There's a LOT to learn from this hobby and it is essential to go up that learning curve so you can reap the rewards. Happy hunting to everyone!

Upvote 10

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
the more you dig, the more you find, the more confident you get, the more you understand your machine, the more fun it gets.... it just seems to be frustrating at times, okay, sometimes for a long time but when it finally starts happening, it can really make your day!

metalheadhorror

Tenderfoot
Apr 9, 2012
Schuylkill County, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats! I started out 2 years ago diggin clad and having fun and now so far this year I have found over 40 silver coins and still having a blast. This is the best hobby ever!

frogginfish

Dec 18, 2012
Southwest Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher F2 w/11" DD coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This hobby is more of an addiction than anything else...at least for me! I love getting outside and the thought of what I can dig up is so exciting to me. Every day I learn more and more about this hobby and my machine...honing my skills. This site is full of great people who share some really fantastic and wise advice that has helped me tremendously!
Good luck on all your future hunts!

jmastny78

Jun 13, 2014
Three Rivers, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 1000
Couldnt agree more! It gets you outside and when you are lucky enough to dig up something old you get to hold history in your hands! Odd thing that I've found is the first question I have, once I've found something, is not how much its worth but where and when did it come from. This hobby has truly opened up my eyes to history!

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sure don't know how you do it in the heat. Anything over 75 and I have to switch over to water hunting.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I sure don't know how you do it in the heat. Anything over 75 and I have to switch over to water hunting.

I have friends that water hunt,looks fun! 7up keep on digging. I have been seriously detecting since about September of last year and just in the last few weeks or so have I started finding really good things. Research and perseverance is the key and many hours but eventually all that will pay off.

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This hobby is more of an addiction than anything else...at least for me! I love getting outside and the thought of what I can dig up is so exciting to me. Every day I learn more and more about this hobby and my machine...honing my skills. This site is full of great people who share some really fantastic and wise advice that has helped me tremendously!
Good luck on all your future hunts!

I can totally relate. I think I'm actually truly obsessed with hunting treasure. I can certainly think of far less healthy addictions.

I took a 12 year old kid with me today after work for a 2 hour hunt at an old elementary school (about 100 years old). I had given him my old detector about a month ago. It's a Micronta 4003 from radio shack and it really isn't very good at all. But it planted the seed in me long ago and has done the same for him.

He got a faint hit and dug up a 1965 quarter. I told him that if it was just one year older it would have been silver. Now he's definitely hooked and wants me to help him pick out a detector to fit his limited budget ASAP.

Once you find something, you just want to find that next target. You just never know what you'll find. I hate to see the sun go down because I know I can't see what's in the hole much longer. so far, I haven't hunted at night but I haven't ruled it out either.

I had a fantastic day this past Tuesday. I found gold and silver jewelry and 4 silver coins, about 6 bucks in clad and other odds and ends. To me, going where almost no one even looks at the ground and digging up gold, silver and other cool stuff is extremely fun. I get more hooked every time and can't ever see myself getting tired of this.

Most hobbies cost money but this one pays for itself and then starts PAYING YOU. I mean, what more could you ask for??

I'm thinking about getting certified as a lifeguard for next year so I can hang on a beach and metal detect between saving lives. How cool would that kind of life be??

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I too love this hobby. However for me I don't see it as paying for itself. Like any hobby there are costs involved. Some days I might drive 40 miles round trip to an old property. And if I get lucky and find a few wheat pennies and a silver coin I consider it a very successful hunt. If I were to sell the silver coin (which I don't) it would not offset the cost of gas or wear and tear on my vehicle. But because I truly enjoy it I spend the money. I don't really have any vices other then this hobby so I'm okay with the cost involved.

OP
OP

7up2000

Jul 6, 2014
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Currently use Garrett AT Pro, Previously used the Fisher F2 for one year
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
LOL. I can't wait until the middle of September when at least the nights start to cool down. I try to start as early as possible keeping in mind the parks don't open until 6am. It's fun and it gets me out of the house. Happy hunting.

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice adventure there, sometimes we get too wrapped up in trying to get better finds and forget to just enjoy the time spent! =)

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I too love this hobby. However for me I don't see it as paying for itself. Like any hobby there are costs involved. Some days I might drive 40 miles round trip to an old property. And if I get lucky and find a few wheat pennies and a silver coin I consider it a very successful hunt. If I were to sell the silver coin (which I don't) it would not offset the cost of gas or wear and tear on my vehicle. But because I truly enjoy it I spend the money. I don't really have any vices other then this hobby so I'm okay with the cost involved.

Well I have to confess. I haven't actually sold any of my treasures. I kinda' want to hang onto them so technically, I haven't been paid by the hobby. Regardless, my net worth has risen a tad because of MD'ing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread