DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2, Fisher F75, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went out to a couple spots today including a property where a 1849 house once stood.. Didnt find a whole lot... but the house did produce a 1927 wheat and 1920 merc, which were my oldest coins, but the Merc is too worn to post. My best find of the day is actually a relic. Its a GAR (Grand Army of the Republic) Veterans Medal that was given to Civil War Vets. When looking at them online there was a ribbon and clasp that went to it, but i only found the Medal. I don't know how to date it, so if anyone can help on that end that would be cool, but its still a sweet find nonetheless. Hope you enjoy.

I was able to find the identification number on it. Its V 1602 I believe

Attachments

• pin1.jpg
    pin1.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 126
  • pin2.jpg
    pin2.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 111
  • number1.jpg
    number1.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
Upvote 11

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats!
The G.A.R. had regular tent encampments at various locations. One goal was to help disabled veterans and their families.Another pensions. Organised meeting was part of the encampment.Often a record was kept including a roll call. Still looking for one badge out there myself... Here's a similar one and the second link explains source of material and meaning of what is on medals!Yours appears to be an earlier first order badge.(1866) Changes followed in 1868 and 1869, maybe 73 and 86.

The OMSA Medal Database - G.A.R. membership medal - June 1886 - OMSA

http://garmuslib.org/badge.htm

Last edited:

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a very nice find ! They do show up here once in a while , but I have no idea how to date them - You might go to E-bay ,
and look at the descriptions and pics - see if there are any dates and medals matching yours - congratulations ! a piece of history
for sure !

OP
OP
DigDugNY

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks!

Ron (CA)

Feb 1, 2005
Mechanicsville VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 , Deus 1 & 2,
SWEEET!! Great relic!! Congrats!

Most GAR badges have a serial number on the edge of the star. Is this number traceable to a member?

Many trying to learn more about GAR badges in their collections think that the number stamped on the star pendant should be traceable, like the number on the badge of the Military Order of the Loyal Legion of the United States (MOLLUS). Although the GAR had around 1/3 to 1/2 of the Union Army in its membership over the years (probably around 1 million men), it never cross-referenced or tracked the pendant numbers to members. The purpose of the number was simply to verify that the badges were authentic and had been purchased from the Quartermaster General, rather than from an unauthorized source. One of the duties of Department Inspectors was to check badges to verify that they were issued by headquarters. A discovery of a fake badge during an inspection could result in the dishonorable discharge of the GAR Comrade who wore it.
The numbering system used the first letter of the last name of the current Commander-in-Chief of the GAR, followed by a number (starting with 1 each year).

This might date it a bit

Based on the list of Commander in Chiefs you have three possible dates. You may never know who was awarded this medal, but one of these gentlemen touched it and presented it to the guy that lost it and now you found it and own it!! Pretty cool!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Grand_Army_of_the_Republic_Commanders-in-Chief

1882-83

Paul Vandervoort - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

or

1890-91

Wheelock G. Veazey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

or

1909-10

Samuel Rinnah Van Sant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

OP
OP
DigDugNY

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SWEEET!! Great relic!! Congrats!

Most GAR badges have a serial number on the edge of the star. Is this number traceable to a member?

Many trying to learn more about GAR badges in their collections think that the number stamped on the star pendant should be traceable, like the number on the badge of the Military Order of the Loyal Legion of the United States (MOLLUS). Although the GAR had around 1/3 to 1/2 of the Union Army in its membership over the years (probably around 1 million men), it never cross-referenced or tracked the pendant numbers to members. The purpose of the number was simply to verify that the badges were authentic and had been purchased from the Quartermaster General, rather than from an unauthorized source. One of the duties of Department Inspectors was to check badges to verify that they were issued by headquarters. A discovery of a fake badge during an inspection could result in the dishonorable discharge of the GAR Comrade who wore it.
The numbering system used the first letter of the last name of the current Commander-in-Chief of the GAR, followed by a number (starting with 1 each year).

This might date it a bit

Based on the list of Commander in Chiefs you have three possible dates. You may never know who was awarded this medal, but one of these gentlemen touched it and presented it to the guy that lost it and now you found it and own it!! Pretty cool!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Grand_Army_of_the_Republic_Commanders-in-Chief

1882-83

Paul Vandervoort - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

or

1890-91

Wheelock G. Veazey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

or

1909-10

Samuel Rinnah Van Sant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks Ron!! I live in New York so it's hard to tell which guy it was, but it's nice to have somewhat of an idea!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FOUND ONE OF THOSE WHEN i WAS A KID - COOL FIND

OP
OP
DigDugNY

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks!

Aug 18, 2013
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus W/11" coil and 9" HF coil, Garrett AT Pro W/5x8 coil
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice find! Too bad it can't be traced to the recipient.

OP
OP
DigDugNY

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice find! Too bad it can't be traced to the recipient.

There's a chance I may be able to. If I can figure out who was living in the house that was once there at the time of the civil war/shortly after, I may be able to

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread