2ND SHIELD NICKEL IN LESS THAN A WEEK AND OLD TOKEN!!!!

jmastny78

Jun 13, 2014
Three Rivers, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 1000
The street tear out produces yet again! So after getting a bunch of iron and junk finds I decided to head back over to the area I had found my first shield at just in case I missed anything. Apparently I did! My first find was an old token, another first for me I might add 😁! On one side it has H.R.Gardner & co. jonesville along with the word "woolen" and something else I cant make out and on the other is A. Gleason Hillsdale with an eagle. I have no idea what it is or how old it is. Its made of brass, i accidentally dinged an edge as I was digging it up and it is definitely brass. Then, a lil while later as I was walking to my car I decided to swing over another spot I had searched before, remembering what some of you had said about not turning the detector off, and it paid off BIG!!! Dug a 1874 shield nickel!!! 2nd one in less than a week and my 2nd ever!!! Fist pumps were going on!!! Definitely hitting that location again! Thanks again for checking them out and if anyone has any idea what kind of token it is and a possible date I would be greatly appreciative! Thanks and HH!

image-1324020371.jpg

image-3627753287.jpg

image-2047558282.jpg

image-164420688.jpg

Upvote 7

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Die-sinker Alexander Gleason (b. 1827- d. ca.1925 age 98) lived on N. Hillsdale St. in Hillsdale and was a charter member of the Hillsdale Seventh Day Adventist Church (1860). He produced Civil War tokens for the greater Hillsdale area. Highly sought after by collectors today, his tokens did not bear the professionalism of the prominent national die sinkers of his day. His creations were known for their crude homemade style, misspellings, and uneven quality planchets and strikes. Found this info for you on TokenCatalog.com , it least it will give you somewhere to start

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet digs, love them shield nickels! !

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
really cool

OP
OP
jmastny78

jmastny78

Jun 13, 2014
Three Rivers, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 1000
Die-sinker Alexander Gleason (b. 1827- d. ca.1925 age 98) lived on N. Hillsdale St. in Hillsdale and was a charter member of the Hillsdale Seventh Day Adventist Church (1860). He produced Civil War tokens for the greater Hillsdale area. Highly sought after by collectors today, his tokens did not bear the professionalism of the prominent national die sinkers of his day. His creations were known for their crude homemade style, misspellings, and uneven quality planchets and strikes. Found this info for you on TokenCatalog.com , it least it will give you somewhere to start

Thanks for the lead 46Wheat! I found a slew of info on it, its a 1863 civil war token from a local business owner!

Mi$terG

Jan 25, 2013
Eastern MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Wow. That shield nickel is in great shape. Time usually isn't too kind to those. Congrats on the nice finds!

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:o

Nice hunt and finds . :icon_scratch:

Two shield nickels
may indicate a seated is hiding nearby .

dawg
:cool:

OP
OP
jmastny78

jmastny78

Jun 13, 2014
Three Rivers, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 1000
Thats what I'm hoping for! The coins keep getting older so I'm REALLY hoping for a LC...might be wishful think though! Lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions