Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
good job dusty, wish I can find a civ bullet someday

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A great Civil War relic. I have found many over the years and often in yards that were decades post war. Even though it is probably the most common of the bullets used, they are getting few and far between. When you really think about the time, and use of the projectile it is the ultimate relic of war. Congrats

OP
OP
dusty1530

dusty1530

Aug 14, 2013
Brownsville
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a first for me and I am really excited about finding it there was a fort here before and after the Civil War sometimes it was occupied by the Union Army and sometimes by the Confederate Army the street that I found this on was supposedly the route that the Union Army used to take this March to and from the fort I hope to find more that was the only one I found in the yard I found a lot of trash in one wheat penny besides the bullet

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Pointman wrote:
> Mr. CannonballGuy, what is a good definitive book on this subject along with pictures.

I mentioned its title in my previous post. It is "A Handbook Of Civil War Bullets & Cartridges" by the Thomas brothers, Jim and Dean. It is available from them at their website (www.thomaspublications.com) for about $12. I think one or both of the authors will sign it for you when you buy it directly from them, instead of at a relic shop or on Ebay. (I got mine by telephoning Jim at their shop, requesting an autographed copy, paying by credit card over the phone.. if you don't care about the autograph, just order the book through their website.)

I should mention, it contains a cross-reference (in the back) for the bullets in the McKee-&-Mason book (which you already own. That enables you to look up a bullet by its M&M number to find it in the Handbook.

I should also mention, as the book's title indicates, it is a "handbook." Although it shows hundreds of civil war bullets, it doesn't show every slight variation. If that's what you want, buy the Thomas brothers "Round Ball To Rimfire" series (four volumes)... which show even more variations than the McKee-&-Mason book (but being 4 volumes, the "RBTR" series is considerably more expensive than the M&M book). The series is worth the money, if your interest goes that deep. RBTR Volume #4 contains only the Confederate bullets, showing 646 examples, with deeply-detailed information, including the most up-to-date research results for CORRECTLY identifying them. (The McKee-&-Mason book hasn't been updated since the 1970s, and thus contains many ID errors.) See the thomaspublications.com website for more info about the "Round Ball To Rimfire" series.

OP
OP
dusty1530

dusty1530

Aug 14, 2013
Brownsville
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I covered most of the grounds today but trust me I am NOT done I plan to gain more permission to hunt in this area at different locations I left there because it was 101 degrees and it was sweating like crazy and it's hard to tell if it´s union or Confederate because both sides did occupy fort Brown in Brownsville Texas at different times

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
I covered most of the grounds today but trust me I am NOT done I plan to gain more permission to hunt in this area at different locations I left there because it was 101 degrees and it was sweating like crazy and it's hard to tell if it´s union or Confederate because both sides did occupy fort Brown in Brownsville Texas at different times

The dump wouldnt be to far from the house.Watch out for the bone from any amputated limbs:laughing7:I dont know if they did that during the civil,i'm more of a revolutionary war man.During the revolution they were kind of more casual about tossing cut off limbs out with the trash:laughing7:

OP
OP
dusty1530

dusty1530

Aug 14, 2013
Brownsville
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did find what I thought was a dump because there is lots and lots of trash in there and that's where I found the wheat penny at

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
The occupants after the war could of stuck to the same dump or started another,dig down some and,or,start looking around.the deeper you go the older it gets.

OP
OP
dusty1530

dusty1530

Aug 14, 2013
Brownsville
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What do you think my chance is to win the Garrett find of the month with this bullet ?

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are actually no longer called pistol carbines... they were once thought to be of the Harpers Ferry armory and for pistol carbines. In recent years they have been determined to be just a .58 Williams Regulation (not to be confused with Williams Cleaners, though manufactured by the same). Def civil war US bullet.

Nice!

F75PAHUNTER

Mar 10, 2014
Hanover Pa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75 LTD, Deus Xp, tecknetics gamma, Garrett pro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where theres one there may be a nother.. Or some other good stuff

CSA2K

Jan 24, 2012
Winchester VA