Natural Gold Accumulation on Bullet Casing!

Scooter86

Jul 4, 2014
Casper, WY
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I visited the gold fields of South Pass/Atlantic City Wyoming to do some metal detecting. I received a nice signal with the Fisher Gold Bug 2 and dug the target amidst some grass and trees in a creek bed. I pulled out a bullet casing and when I saw the tip of the casing I was amazed! I have heard in my geology classes that gold has been found coating lead bullets when they were recovered after about a hundred years! I have found one on my own now and will be contacting my past geology professor as he may be impressed. I wanted to share this with everyone because none of you may have heard of this before. I have learned that under certain circumstances such as high pH levels or high acidity due to organically induced environments gold will become soluble in water. Then obviously the gold will come out of solution and adhere itself to another metal such as a bullet. This may be caused by a reduced pH balance that is around normal levels. Let me know what you think and now information will be gladly accepted!

ForumRunner_20140725_153215.png

ForumRunner_20140725_153339.png

ForumRunner_20140725_153443.png

ForumRunner_20140725_153609.png

Upvote 0

ekeisler

Apr 6, 2013
I think it's actually where the casing was scratched and brass is showing. The case is all brass. Good find though!

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah , i'm not seeing gold here - the example you sited involved lead , this is clearly a brass casing - I must also agree with the
scratched brass theory .

OP
OP
Scooter86

Scooter86

Jul 4, 2014
Casper, WY
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am going to get it checked further but so far as I can tell it is built up on the casing itself like it grew there.. I can scratch the top of it with my blade to check to see what color the scratch reveals but I scratched the side of it with my blade and it was a silver luster! You can see this in one of the pictures. I will probably take it to a jeweler and hook it up to one of there conductivity machines and look at it under a microscope too. It may or may not be gold but I wanted to post and get opinions. So far everyone thinks it is brass which is usually magnetic so I can easily do that test at home. I will post more info as it progresses. Thanks for the comments so far!

Greylock

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Western MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am going to get it checked further but so far as I can tell it is built up on the casing itself like it grew there.. I can scratch the top of it with my blade to check to see what color the scratch reveals but I scratched the side of it with my blade and it was a silver luster! You can see this in one of the pictures. I will probably take it to a jeweler and hook it up to one of there conductivity machines and look at it under a microscope too. It may or may not be gold but I wanted to post and get opinions. So far everyone thinks it is brass which is usually magnetic so I can easily do that test at home. I will post more info as it progresses. Thanks for the comments so far!

It's brass. If you don't care about the case and only want the "gold" break the rest of the case. It will look the exact same.

OP
OP
Scooter86

Scooter86

Jul 4, 2014
Casper, WY
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brass is magnetic when it is combined with iron in trace amounts but not by itself. I searched on the internet and found this out.

OP
OP
Scooter86

Scooter86

Jul 4, 2014
Casper, WY
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for your comments everyone I appreciate everyone's experience and knowledge. I will keep posting as I find out more info!

Greylock

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Western MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That case is brass and that case is not magnetic. If you scratch the end it will be yellow like the broken end.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Darn! I was getting all happy there for a minute!

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounded good until I read that brass is magnetic, of course I read it on the internet so it has to be true, by the way did I tell you guys about my new girlfriend, she is a french model and I met her on the internet. Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa lol

OP
OP
Scooter86

Scooter86

Jul 4, 2014
Casper, WY
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok well false alarm on this one I scratched it really hard with my scissors and found the brass then tested it with my magnet and it is not magnetic! Thanks everyone for your answers this was one of those times when you get excited and you create a post without further investigating or researching! Then again to be honest I have never went hunting for game in my life so my experience with ammunition is slim to none. I did shoot a rabbit with a shotgun one time if that counts with my dad when I was younger lol! Have a good day everyone!

ForumRunner_20140726_111507.png

ForumRunner_20140726_111448.png

ForumRunner_20140726_111448.png

ForumRunner_20140726_111507.png

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions