frogginfish

Dec 18, 2012
Southwest Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher F2 w/11" DD coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to an early 1900s house today. I'm sure it has lots of potential but there is so much trash...like tons of small siding pieces and other little metal junk pieces. It is really hard to pick any good target out. One of the hits that I was able to get a good solid reading on turned out to be a horseshoe! It was at least a foot down. I thought I was never going to stop digging. LOL
Across the yard I was able to get another good solid hit and dug me up another tootsie toy from 1969. I want to go back and maybe use my F2 with the sniper coil on it. I don't have one for the AT Pro yet.
The mason jar lid was found in my own back yard almost 10 inches down...I was SO hoping I would find the jar under it full of goodies. I was let down.

todays finds.jpg

Upvote 9

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That tootsie is in nice shape, I like them. I too always get excited when I see those lids, I found one intact, lid, jar and empty contents, maybe next time?

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
the heart stopping jar lids, yeah, they really get your full attention, at least for a little bit anyways.LOL

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Went to an early 1900s house today. I'm sure it has lots of potential but there is so much trash...like tons of small siding pieces and other little metal junk pieces. It is really hard to pick any good target out. One of the hits that I was able to get a good solid reading on turned out to be a horseshoe! It was at least a foot down. I thought I was never going to stop digging. LOL
Across the yard I was able to get another good solid hit and dug me up another tootsie toy from 1969. I want to go back and maybe use my F2 with the sniper coil on it. I don't have one for the AT Pro yet.
The mason jar lid was found in my own back yard almost 10 inches down...I was SO hoping I would find the jar under it full of goodies. I was let down.

Nice.

I'm curious. Was there a ceramic seal with that Mason lid by any chance??

I've found two of those recently, one while creek walking and one while detecting. It was still under the lid when I dug it up and in pristine condition.
One is from the 20's and one is later. I haven't dated it yet.

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Finding jar lids is good at least there was activity there in the olden days surely! The ones that bug me are the ones that just fall apart in the hole arrrgh!!!

OP
OP
frogginfish

frogginfish

Dec 18, 2012
Southwest Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher F2 w/11" DD coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice.

I'm curious. Was there a ceramic seal with that Mason lid by any chance??

I've found two of those recently, one while creek walking and one while detecting. It was still under the lid when I dug it up and in pristine condition.
One is from the 20's and one is later. I haven't dated it yet.

I actually disposed of the lid. I kept the other two items in my many bags of finds.

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I actually disposed of the lid. I kept the other two items in my many bags of finds.

Those seals are basically a white ceramic disc that fits on the lip of the jar. The old ones say "genuine zinc cap for Ball mason jars" and there is no logo. The newer ones have the Ball mason logo.

I found another that says "Genuine Boyds Cap for Mason jars".

Just keep your eyes peeled if you happen to dig up another lid. There may be a cap nearby. Apparently, they're kinda' collectible.

OP
OP
frogginfish

frogginfish

Dec 18, 2012
Southwest Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher F2 w/11" DD coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those seals are basically a white ceramic disc that fits on the lip of the jar. The old ones say "genuine zinc cap for Ball mason jars" and there is no logo. The newer ones have the Ball mason logo.

I found another that says "Genuine Boyds Cap for Mason jars".

Just keep your eyes peeled if you happen to dig up another lid. There may be a cap nearby. Apparently, they're kinda' collectible.

I will for sure! And thanks!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread