Igyjastabay

Igyjastabay

May 28, 2014
The Beach SW FLORIDA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the find!! Yeah the 64 bronze are made out of great material!! I have found similar one in the past brings to mind the phrase "They don't make them like they used to now!!"
Heres the one I had, enjoy =)
View attachment 1028420

Nice indian. Like I said, it's rare to have them turn out as nice as ours. Here is mine all cleaned up.

Attachments

• use this.jpg
    use this.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 111

goldnugget

Nov 3, 2005
East Coast U S A
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab XP-Pro- MinelabExcaliber -Fisher1260 Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Equinox 800
Do you use Extra Virgin Olive Oil. How long did you let it soak. Beautiful Coin-- I found 6 Flying Eagle Cent on the Beach this Month and they were all Toast- goldnugget

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look for an *L* on the head band!

I was about to say the same thing. Any "L" marking on it for the designer Longacre? Here's a picture of one I dug years ago with the "L".
Awesome looking IH. :thumbsup:
Congrats,
MM

Attachments

• attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:
OP
OP
Igyjastabay

Igyjastabay

May 28, 2014
The Beach SW FLORIDA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Do you use Extra Virgin Olive Oil. How long did you let it soak. Beautiful Coin-- I found 6 Flying Eagle Cent on the Beach this Month and they were all Toast- goldnugget

If your flying eagles are toast (which they always are) then they are toast forever. Just like nickels. Indians, however, can be saved and improved. The device: Un Waxed tooth pick. Method: If you want the green patina to STAY start with olive oil, soak it for a day and then deal with the results. If you still have dirt and light corrosion after the aforementioned method and you are not satisfied graduate to the boiling peroxide bath for a couple hours. Then use your tooth pick to lightly scrub the surface. Then I soak in olive oil again for days. You will see the oil turn green and then you rinse the coin and rub it with paper towel. Your IH will now be a deep olive almost brownish color forever, but the luster and some details will rejuvenate. Indian heads have paid for my detectors, my favorite coin to find.

OP
OP
Igyjastabay

Igyjastabay

May 28, 2014
The Beach SW FLORIDA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was about to say the same thing. Any "L" marking on it for the designer Longacre? Here's a picture of one I dug years ago with the "L".
Awesome looking IH. :thumbsup:
Congrats,
MM

Thanks. It was the first thing I looked for. There is a big difference in $$.

Wasabi

Nov 7, 2005
Brevard County, FL ~ USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalinbur II,White's Beach Hunter ID 300, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher F75, Tesoro Golden UMax, Whites 4900/D, Bounty Hunter IV, Bounty Hunter Big Bud
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You sure have been nailing those Indians!

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My oldest ih cent is an 1863 and it's a fatty I can tell date and has some detail but I may clean it up. I'm not planning on selling any of my ih cents so cleaning it up won't hurt value to me. My oldest coin is a 1838 lc and I cleaned it so I could read date and it looks pretty good.

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an 1864 indian head I may have to clean it to see if it's worth that kind of money. It's pretty green but has some detail.

OP
OP
Igyjastabay

Igyjastabay

May 28, 2014
The Beach SW FLORIDA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My oldest ih cent is an 1863 and it's a fatty I can tell date and has some detail but I may clean it up. I'm not planning on selling any of my ih cents so cleaning it up won't hurt value to me. My oldest coin is a 1838 lc and I cleaned it so I could read date and it looks pretty good.

I sell them because i cant take them with me, however, i regret selling my 1877.

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yes sir - she's a beaut!

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, my 1864 Indian looks like a dirt cake. Amazing find, Indian head cents are usually in bad shape when they are found. Also, I love the green patina!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread