TX Armadillo

Jul 24, 2014
Boerne, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last weekend's hunt - sword belt plate

This is my Federal sword belt plate from last weekend's hunt at an old homestead site in central TX. The ancestor of the current owner owned all the surrounding lands, and served in the Mexican war in 1847-48, and in the Civil War as well so its likely this is his belt plate. Got lucky and found it in a wide sweep of the area around the homestead, probably 25 yards out from the structure. Its complete and has the attachment hook intact on the back.
P1080455.JPG P1080457.JPG

Upvote 8

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find, and welcome to Tnet!

Steve

Guest 1551

Aug 4, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Other
wow! Sweet find!! love it! It's beautiful man! Gonna look good on your belt ;) or your mantle :)

kray

Mar 21, 2010
SW Ct. Formerly N Va.
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
E Trac
AT Pro
Nautilus 11Ba
MXT
M6
6000 DiPro
Omega
Bounty hunter TR550
Heathkit homemade
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice plate! Kinda sux that a mere "civil war era US .58-caliber "Regulation" Minie-bullet, in unfired condition" (a few posts below) gets more attention than this buckle.

danimal03

Feb 13, 2012
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes, there are a lot of things here that do not get the respect they properly deserve. There was a recent post where a 'modern' coin was worth maybe .25 cents in silver and it generated pages of internet 'high fives'. it is sad.

I used to stay away from T-net for that reason; just way too superficial. Way too many items of huge historical importance get ignored for 'banner' over modern stuff not worth $100. And these historical items I am talking are worth a lot of money. More than what most items that make the banner.

If it is shiny and round there is almost always a banner nomination, i.e. if you hammered your plate into a disc and painted it gold it would get at least some 'banner' nominations. But obviously that would be wrong to destroy your beautiful piece. just using it as an example.

There used to be an awesome internet forum that stayed away from politics and the layout was great. But unfortunately it closed shop a few years ago. The politics from some other sites completely drove me (and others) away. Members of other forums used to get 'hate mail' just for posting on a competitors' site. Ridiculous.

But anyway I digress. Your find would make my year. Those are tough to dig anywhere and especially for Texas. And it is a pretty plate to boot. The last plate (eagle breastplate) I dug was 2 years ago and it is a roached out mess. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on an awesome find.

Last edited:

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is gorgeous! Fantastic find. Congrats

BTV Digger

Jul 24, 2014
Northern VT
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro; Fisher F2; Tesoro Silver UMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome sword plate! Still looking for my first. In great condition too!

John

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow,that is a gorgeous find,congrats and welcome to Treasurenet.

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your belt plate is a wonderfully historical find in excellent condition. In my humble opinion, it merits far more than the 11 replies received over the past three days. Regardless, you can take a lot pride is such a exciting recovery. That's a killer find in my book. It would be the highlight find for the whole year for most dedicated relic hunters!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats! :occasion14:

On my Wish List

and the lack of interest bites but

hey, whatta ya gonna do :dontknow:

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How did the owner of the old homestead feel about that plate?
Pretty darn cool things like that can be found and have a history still stuck to it from an old family like that. Nice of them to let you hunt there.

Nice save!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread