CHECK OUT THESE FINDS! PLUS I FOUND A METEORITE??

PATreasureHunter

Mar 22, 2007
Lititz, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Had an excellent day today, and hunted for about 6 hours total. Searched an old picnic grove, a backyard to an old farmhouse dating back to the 1860's, and a yard dating to the 1950's. Highlights include 4 dimes, 5 pennies, a Ford distributor cap to an old car? and other assorted goodies. Also, I found a very interesting object buried about 6 inches down. My ACE 250 went crazy when I found this unknown piece. Its very light like pumice, has the looks of a piece of coal, but however, like I said, made my ACE yell. Is this a meteorite? If anyone has any information, it would be appreciated. Also, can anyone confirm that the Ford item is indeed a distributor cap, or if its not, what exaclty is it? Thanks to all, and Happy Hunting!

Attachments

• today copy.jpg
    today copy.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 765
Upvote 0

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool finds.Usually meteorites are not light wieght and a magnet will stick to them.HH

Wolfbite

Jul 22, 2006
Walnut Cove NC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Good finds.Looks a little too smooth to be a meteorite.And i think they are usually heavy.Maybe someone can id it for you.HH Wolfbite

Youngladd

Dec 26, 2006
Fox Lake Illinois
Detector(s) used
BH 3300, BH Challenger
Definately not a meteorite, there is no fingerprinting, no shell, shape is wrong, if it is magnetic it is most likey magnatite/hematite.

V

VikingTom

Meteorites are usuallt so burned up from entry into the atmosphere that they look spraypainted jet black.
I have several i collected in China, and i found a sizeable one here in Kentucky because i actually saw it hit ground, unfortunately the property owner refused to let me get the find. :-\ It was the size of a softball from what i could see when the property owner dug it out. Probably a good 8 lbs
Most meteorites are magnetic but not all of them are. Even if metallic it could be nickel instead of iron.
Meteorites with crystalization on them are very valuable by comparison. The crystals formed in space are very popular in the scientific community and widemanstatture (spelling) crystalization commands high premiums.

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
The Ford item is a hub cap. It covers the wheel hub to protect the wheel bearings.

Don't know to much about year, but I would guess anywhere from the teens through the thirties. that type looks like the kind that were on the spoke wheels.

Nice finds!.........HH

birdy1976

Mar 3, 2007
Russell Springs,KY
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 PRO
Hey man nice finds, However the Ford thing isn't a hub cap too small. It is however a manifold oil breather cap. It covers a vent that is in the valve cover on the engine. Glad I could help. I can see how it looks like a hub cap also but my cousin has a older model ford pick up truck, Only the good Lord knows why though, LOL, but his motor has one just like that one on it but in a little better shape.

Just joking there Ford Fans,Don't Blow a Gasket. Fords are absolutely,positively, PERFECT for passing on the Highways!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

birdy1976

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, one side will often be scorched. My buddy and I found a 21 pound meteorite last week and are in the process of finding a buyer. It is the biggest meteorite that I have ever seen.

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
That could very well be a bearing cap on a wheel.The oil cap was usually taller.Hard to tell from the pic.

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
IDX Classic SL-x2....Excalibur1000
warsawdaddy said:
That could very well be a bearing cap on a wheel.The oil cap was usually taller.Hard to tell from the pic.
definitely ModelA/T "Hub cap"...predecessor to wheel covers.
Just covered the bearings.Lots of them in MI.....Joe

Trash Digger

Dec 15, 2006
Eastern North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
birdy1976 said:
Just joking there Ford Fans,Don't Blow a Gasket. Fords are absolutely,positively, PERFECT for passing on the Highways!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

birdy1976

Hey, birdy, yeah, when they are going in the opposite direction. ;) ;) ;)

PATreasureHunter, that might be a piece of coke that you found. Coke is made from coal and is used in the steel industry, so finding some in PA wouldn't be unusual. Here's a link for more info.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coke_(fuel)

Mike

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Cortez Minelab SE
Ok, the weird thing is, I hit a chunk of coal the other day(it was DEFINATELY coal) That made my MD hoot and holler, the stuff must have some kind of resonance. I dunno fer sher, anybody else ever get a good solid coal hit ??

Trash Digger

Dec 15, 2006
Eastern North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
gold fish said:
Ok, the weird thing is, I hit a chunk of coal the other day(it was DEFINATELY coal) That made my MD hoot and holler, the stuff must have some kind of resonance. I dunno fer sher, anybody else ever get a good solid coal hit ??

Coal is a mineral, therefore, it can have that "hot rock" effect that will set a detector off.

Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread