CHECK OUT THESE FINDS! PLUS I FOUND A METEORITE??
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Mar 2007
    Lititz, PA
    Garrett Ace 250
    1 times

CHECK OUT THESE FINDS! PLUS I FOUND A METEORITE??

Had an excellent day today, and hunted for about 6 hours total. Searched an old picnic grove, a backyard to an old farmhouse dating back to the 1860's, and a yard dating to the 1950's. Highlights include 4 dimes, 5 pennies, a Ford distributor cap to an old car? and other assorted goodies. Also, I found a very interesting object buried about 6 inches down. My ACE 250 went crazy when I found this unknown piece. Its very light like pumice, has the looks of a piece of coal, but however, like I said, made my ACE yell. Is this a meteorite? If anyone has any information, it would be appreciated. Also, can anyone confirm that the Ford item is indeed a distributor cap, or if its not, what exaclty is it? Thanks to all, and Happy Hunting!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	today copy.jpg 
Views:	735 
Size:	107.0 KB 
ID:	125090  

us
    May 2005
    Maryland
    MXT
    35 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Re: CHECK OUT THESE FINDS! PLUS I FOUND A METEORITE??

Cool finds.Usually meteorites are not light wieght and a magnet will stick to them.HH

Jul 2006
    Walnut Cove NC
    Ace 250

Good finds.Looks a little too smooth to be a meteorite.And i think they are usually heavy.Maybe someone can id it for you.HH Wolfbite

Dec 2006
    Fox Lake Illinois
    BH 3300, BH Challenger
    1 times

Definately not a meteorite, there is no fingerprinting, no shell, shape is wrong, if it is magnetic it is most likey magnatite/hematite.
    One of the most powerful statements ever!

""And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

The last line of the Declaration of Independence

VikingTom

Meteorites are usuallt so burned up from entry into the atmosphere that they look spraypainted jet black.
    I have several i collected in China, and i found a sizeable one here in Kentucky because i actually saw it hit ground, unfortunately the property owner refused to let me get the find. It was the size of a softball from what i could see when the property owner dug it out. Probably a good 8 lbs
    Most meteorites are magnetic but not all of them are. Even if metallic it could be nickel instead of iron.
    Meteorites with crystalization on them are very valuable by comparison. The crystals formed in space are very popular in the scientific community and widemanstatture (spelling) crystalization commands high premiums.

Mar 2007
    West "by god" Virginia
    Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
    10 times

The Ford item is a hub cap. It covers the wheel hub to protect the wheel bearings.

Don't know to much about year, but I would guess anywhere from the teens through the thirties. that type looks like the kind that were on the spoke wheels.

Nice finds!.........HH

Mar 2007
    Russell Springs,KY
    Ace 250 PRO

Hey man nice finds, However the Ford thing isn't a hub cap too small. It is however a manifold oil breather cap. It covers a vent that is in the valve cover on the engine. Glad I could help. I can see how it looks like a hub cap also but my cousin has a older model ford pick up truck, Only the good Lord knows why though, LOL, but his motor has one just like that one on it but in a little better shape.

Just joking there Ford Fans,Don't Blow a Gasket. Fords are absolutely,positively, PERFECT for passing on the Highways!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

birdy1976

DIG, RECOVER, PRESERVE...THE SCOURGE OF THE DIRT!

Jan 2007
    Virginia
    TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
    276 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (12)

Yes, one side will often be scorched. My buddy and I found a 21 pound meteorite last week and are in the process of finding a buyer. It is the biggest meteorite that I have ever seen.

us
    Nov 2004
    Edwards,Missouri
    MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
    60 times

That could very well be a bearing cap on a wheel.The oil cap was usually taller.Hard to tell from the pic.

us
    Jul 2003
    Mid Michigan
    IDX Classic SL-x2....Excalibur1000
    42 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Quote Originally Posted by warsawdaddy
    That could very well be a bearing cap on a wheel.The oil cap was usually taller.Hard to tell from the pic.
    definitely ModelA/T "Hub cap"...predecessor to wheel covers.
    Just covered the bearings.Lots of them in MI.....Joe
    ramble on

Dec 2006
    Eastern North Carolina
    White's DFX
    20 times

Quote Originally Posted by birdy1976

Just joking there Ford Fans,Don't Blow a Gasket. Fords are absolutely,positively, PERFECT for passing on the Highways!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

birdy1976
    Hey, birdy, yeah, when they are going in the opposite direction.

PATreasureHunter, that might be a piece of coke that you found. Coke is made from coal and is used in the steel industry, so finding some in PA wouldn't be unusual. Here's a link for more info.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coke_(fuel)

Mike

us
    Sep 2006
    N.W.A.
    Tesoro - Cortez Minelab SE
    16 times
    Banner Finds (1)

Ok, the weird thing is, I hit a chunk of coal the other day(it was DEFINATELY coal) That made my MD hoot and holler, the stuff must have some kind of resonance. I dunno fer sher, anybody else ever get a good solid coal hit ??
    I noticed that no-one really utilizes all the signature space provided, so I figured to be REALLY original I would make up the longest signature that I could and probably just leave it as one big run on sentence because all that punctuation just takes up way too much space-HH.

se
    Sep 2006
    Sweden
    White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
    2096 times
    Prospecting

8)
    Geologists are gneiss, tuff, and a little wacke.

Dec 2006
    Eastern North Carolina
    White's DFX
    20 times

Quote Originally Posted by gold fish
    Ok, the weird thing is, I hit a chunk of coal the other day(it was DEFINATELY coal) That made my MD hoot and holler, the stuff must have some kind of resonance. I dunno fer sher, anybody else ever get a good solid coal hit ??
    Coal is a mineral, therefore, it can have that "hot rock" effect that will set a detector off.

Mike

us
    Always Hunting Something.

Apr 2006
    Central Maine
    Fisher 1210x Fisher 1236x2 Fisher 1225x
    33 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Definitly a wheel bearing cap,no question. Bootstrap
    Ya never know what ya gonna pull out-the ground!!

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links