Confederate Block I, Schenkl Fuse and a Bunch of Other Stuff!!!

mudduck

Jul 24, 2013
SOUTHEAST VA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT AT PRO; XP DEUS
Potential High Dome Confederate Block I, Schenkl Fuse and a Bunch of Other Stuff!!!

I know this is "Today's Finds," however a lot of times I get home and it is too late and I am too tired to post and then it is back to work.

I wanted to share some things from my past several hunts, including my most recent hunt where I found my first "Block I" and the base plate of a canister shot. Thought for sure that base plate was a buckle or breast plate. That sucker was DEEP.

I am hunting near Richmond, VA.

Earlier I found a Virginia Militia button. Cleaned it up the best I could, that things was brittle.

I found a 12 pounder with small grape shot dimples inside which was cool.

Found a Schenkl Fuse about 3 inches deep in great condition. Not too far away I found the nose of a shell.

It has been a great spring/summer. I did not include all the frags, bullets and misc items (underwear button, etc) I found.

Looking forward to things cooling off and hitting it hard.

Happy hunting!

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    745 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_7653.jpg
    IMG_7653.jpg
    952.7 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_7654.jpg
    IMG_7654.jpg
    918.5 KB · Views: 142
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    601.7 KB · Views: 161
  • photo 1-3.JPG
    photo 1-3.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 125
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    670.2 KB · Views: 144
  • photo 2-2.JPG
    photo 2-2.JPG
    570.7 KB · Views: 114
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    971.7 KB · Views: 126
  • photo-2.JPG
    photo-2.JPG
    896.4 KB · Views: 115
  • photo.PNG.jpeg
    photo.PNG.jpeg
    16.5 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Upvote 10

danimal03

Feb 13, 2012
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
real nice finds! I have been hunting CW sites for a couple years and have found 2 x breastplates in CS sites. But for whatever reason I have never found a CS button. That block I is real unusual. it looks like it might be a "high dome" variety which are exceedingly rare. but even if it is not, it is a scarce variant.

I hunted near Richmond a month ago and found 7 x minie balls and an eagle cuff and I thought I was doing well. you smoked me by miles. Congratulations on some real nice stuff.... nice buttons....

danimal03

Feb 13, 2012
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:thumbsup:actually if that block I is a "high dome" variant it I would nominate it banner though I do not think folks on t-net would understand how exceedingly rare a "high dome" block I is. I am pretty sure it is though but I can be mistaken. If memory serves me correctly they are attributed to being made in New Orleans. I specialize in CS buttons but I have never owned or even handled a "high dome" block letter button before. Huge congrats regardless....:thumbsup:

OP
OP
mudduck

mudduck

Jul 24, 2013
SOUTHEAST VA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT AT PRO; XP DEUS
danimal01 - that is funny you should say that. the guy i was hunting with (who has hunted for 40+ years) said it looked rare. another person who looked at it said it was a "high dome" block i. i had no idea what that meant at the time. i will try to get some better pics.

danimal03

Feb 13, 2012
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am almost certain it is a "high dome" infantry. the more common "high dome" is artillery. the infantry buttons are exceedingly rare. I have not seen one dug in over 7 years and I can't even remember that last one I saw. Regular block "I's" are rare, but this variant is exceedingly rare. I hate to discuss value, but to put it into context so most viewers can understand, this is easily a $500 button if not more. I have not seen one sold in a real, real, long time so it could be worth more. it is tough to put a value on it. but in rarity and historical terms it is huge. Someone dug a CS Marine button on another forum recently which is exceedingly rare. but honestly I have seen a couple dug in the last 7 years. Your "high dome" block I is the first I have seen on forums in at least 7 years. there may have been another but if there was I missed the post. May not be as significant as a CS Marine, but maybe just as rare, or rarer even.

The block letter I's usually fall within a few variations. this one is outside the normal variation and the back is unusual. I don't have my button books in front of me but it is not a 'normal' back.

it is safe to say it is a "high dome" infantry button. HUGE congratulations. Even without it the rest of the finds are awesome. these finds would make my year! or even two or three.....

danimal03

Feb 13, 2012
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
p.s., I went ahead and nominated it for the banner. I doubt it will make it as most just will not get the rarity and value. However this deserves a 'banner' nomination in rarity, history, and value .....

Last edited:

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great button. Interested to know if it is the rare variety

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Your photo shows something VERY unusual about the 12-Pounder caliber Canister-ammo baseplate you dug.

For anybody here who doesn't already know, a cannon's Canister-ammo is like a shotgun's buckshot ammo, containing dozens of balls. The purpose of the Canister's baseplate (a 1/4"-thick iron disc) is to ensure that all of the dozens of balls get pushed out of the cannon's barrel when the Canister is fired at the enemy.

The fired Canister-ammo baseplate you found shows six "dimples" evenly spaced around one dimple in the baseplate's center. The baseplate was not manufactured with dimples in it. The "dimpling" was caused by firing two Canisters out of the cannon at the same time... which is called double-loading or "double-shotted" firing. That was very dangerous thing to do. Firing two Canisters at once (instead of the usual one-at-a-time) doubled the firing-stress on the cannon's barrel, which could cause the cannon to itself to explode and kill its crewmen. So, double-loading/double-shotting was only done when massed enemy troops had succeeded in getting close enough to overrun the cannon's location. In other words, "double-shotted" Canister firing was only done in extremely desperate circumstances. Thus, your "double-shotted" Canister baseplate is a very rare civil war artillery relic.

Also for anybody here who doesn't already know:
Canister ammo gets it name from the thin tinned-iron can (a "canister") which held the dozens of antipersonnel balls. The photos below show an intact non-excavated round of Canister ammo, and another one whose seam has split open, showing the balls inside (with the thick iron baseplate at the top of the photo). Another photo shows a Canister baseplate that got "dimpled" by being double-shotted, along with the 1.47"-diameter iron balls from the Canister, and its thinner iron top-plate.

Attachments

• canister_6pounder_REPRODUCTION_photobyjimmartin_aabb_112.jpg
    canister_6pounder_REPRODUCTION_photobyjimmartin_aabb_112.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 75
  • canister_12pounder_NONDUG_openview_ebay_57004_1_md.jpg
    canister_12pounder_NONDUG_openview_ebay_57004_1_md.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 77
  • canister_DOUBLESHOTTED-baseplate_12-pounder_Ebay_b4b7_12.jpg
    canister_DOUBLESHOTTED-baseplate_12-pounder_Ebay_b4b7_12.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
OP
OP
mudduck

mudduck

Jul 24, 2013
SOUTHEAST VA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT AT PRO; XP DEUS
Your photo shows something VERY unusual about the 12-Pounder caliber Canister-ammo baseplate you dug.

For anybody here who doesn't already know, a cannon's Canister-ammo is like a shotgun's buckshot ammo, containing dozens of balls. The purpose of the Canister's baseplate (a 1/4" thich iron disc) is to ensure that all of the dozens of balls get pushed out of the cannon's barrel when the Canister is fired at the enemy.

The fired Canister-ammo baseplate you found shows six "dimples" evenly spaced around one dimple in the baseplate's center. The baseplate was not manufactured with dimples in it. The "dimpling" was caused by firing two Canisters out of the cannon at the same time... which is called double-loading or "double-shotted" firing. That was very dangerous thing to do. Firing two Canisters at once (instead of the usual one-at-a-time) doubled the firing-stress on the cannon's barrel, which could cause the cannon to itself to explode and kill its crewmen. So, double-loading/double-shotting was only done when massed enemy troops had succeeded in getting close enough to overrun the cannon's location. In other words, "double-shotted" Canister firing was only done in extremely desperate circumstances. Thus, your "double-shotted" Canister baseplate is a very rare civil war artillery relic.

Also for anybody here who doesn't already know:
Canister ammo gets it name from the thin tinned-iron can (a "canister") which held the dozens of antipersonnel balls. The photos below show an intact non-excavated round of civil war Canister ammo, and another one whose seam has split open, showing the balls inside (with the thick iron baseplate at the top of the photo). Another photo shows a Canister baseplate that got "dimpled" by being double-shotted, along with the 1.47"-diameter iron balls from the Canister, and its thinner iron top-plate.

WOW! That is great information and it matches perfectly with where I am hunting. This area saw heavy action.

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice variety! Gotta love that AT Pro. Best machine for the money IMHO.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Mudduck, you continue to be the LUCKIEST "recent-convert" to relic hunting I have ever seen. When I walked over that Block I, it was so you wouldn't get discouraged. Yeah. Like THAT would ever happen. You rock man. I learned new stuff from our hunt. Never heard of "dimpling" or a high-domed Block I. Save me that go-pro footage for the next vid . . .

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow,congrats,very nice finds! That Schenkel fuse sure is a pretty green and fits perfectly in the nose of that shell.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AWESOME Finds Indeed.

Davers

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread