Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UPDATED PICS.

You'll understand my vague subject line by the end. ;)

Went to a couple three places today. I started out going to the last field I was on but today there was some sort of function there. I opted for plan B. BUT, on my way there, I saw this lonesome, open field/park. It was freshly mowed and kind of wandered along a tiny creek. So, plan B quickly became plan C. :)

I was only interested in making a quick exploration, high end targets and cover a bit of random ground. Just to see what I might be dealing with there. Turned out to be very, very rocky and trashy with just a thin layer of soil. Plenty grass to look at, but not much under. I figure it was because of the creek flooding over the years, washed out.

Anyway, I did manage to uncover a coin. ONE! In about an hour walking around and that was a very flaky hit! LOL

2014 (593).jpg

A wheatie, fair condition, tossed in the pouch and moved onto plan C.
But, we'll revisit this one.

This was a fall back plan. It was the same place where I turned that 2 center back a while ago. That's been the ONLY old coin to come out of several walks there. Nice place, just not much old coming out.

Still, all in all, not too bad a day:

2014 (588).jpg
2014 (589).jpg
2014 (590).jpg

Just about the teeniest bling ring I ever found! LOL

2014 (591).jpg
2014 (592).jpg

I think fishy got away with that one cause Blingy was
too busy trying to wear this. I tried to tell him he couldn't
wear an earring, he needed ears! ;) But, he wasn't having
any of that! :)

2014 (596).jpg
2014 (597).jpg
2014 (598).jpg
2014 (599).jpg
2014 (600).jpg

Got this weird piece next to the cornfield.
Non-magnetic, about 18.18 grams, not lead.
I'm not sure how to proceed with this one. The brown is mostly dirt. I'm
also not sure how to even attempt cleaning it any further. You see it's fairly
uniform but fraying at the edges. Not even sure the metal.
Rings in at a solid 72. :dontknow:

Now, about that wheatie up there.
I got it home and immediately noticed a date. I did some VERY careful
cleaning and some serious forensic work. Using the high magnification that I have at hand,
I have completely convinced myself what this is. BUT, I can't do anymore proof than the following
pics. I just am not equipped to take the high magnification shots that might show you why
I'm pretty certain. So, the following is the best I can do.

2014 (594).jpg
2014 (595).jpg

Now, you guys can think whatever you want, but I am quite satisfied with the results of my forensics.

OH! And, yes, I did some study on fakes of this coin. I do know they're out there and am pretty good
by now at being able to tell. (40 years is a LONG time! LOL )

I am FINALLY crossing one of the coins off my bucket list. It's one that's been on there ever since
I started hunting some 40 years ago.

Thanks for taking the time to read all that! LOL

I am one VERY happy camper tonight. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 12

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome congrats!!!! If I'm seeing it right SVDB. 1909!!! WTG! And it wasn't even your first choice of places to go!

Ya know if Blingie decorates himself with any more adornments Fishy will have to haul him around in a little wagon cause he won't be able to crawl or see where he's going with all the bling on! .......or is that the plan, he can't get to the door to lock it? Shhh! I won't tell.
Ya Blingie looks great with all the bling on!

WTG on the bucket list cross off nice!

I too had my plans changed with some nice results! I will try to post from the truck while I'm still in the DD parking lot using their free WiFi! Lol! Ah life in the free WiFi lane! Lol!

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like the canola cooking oil better than olive myself seems more stable, just my opinion there. Those VDBs are definitely hard to find, have had plenty of 1909s in past but never an S or a VBD in any combination(plain 1909 for me only), congrats WT!! That item from near the field is a definite mystery in my book , some finds may just always be that!

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why so mysterious? Just spit it out, I feel like I'm being tested, set up for failure by some woman. You know, the proverbial woman question, does my ass look big in these pants? OK so now what do I do?

Punt? Clean the coin with a hot peroxide bath? Man up and tell us what your talking about?

What do I do now? Now that I've found one of my longest sought after coins. I truly started out with the 1909 S VDB coin in
mind way back when I started. Back then, I figured I'd never have one any other way then found. So, now that one is found,
what do I set up as my next target. :)

I may have spoke in riddles a bit on this one but what do you suppose would have been the reaction if I had just said, I found a
1909 S VDB penny! AND, here's the picture! :icon_scratch:

Awesome congrats!!!! If I'm seeing it right SVDB. 1909!!! WTG! And it wasn't even your first choice of places to go!

WTG on the bucket list cross off nice!

The best laid plans, and all that! :) Just gotta roll with the punches.

Thanks! Feels kinda nice!

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
THAT OLD METAL PIECE IS PEWTER - WHETHER A BUTTON OR COIN COULD NOT TELL YOU
GUYS DID TRY AND MAKE COUNTERFEIT COINS OUT OF PEWTER

I suspected pewter but I don't deal with it very often. I don't know how to proceed in cleaning it a bit more. Will water make it worse? Maybe oil? Maybe just keep picking at it with a toothpick? I'm just not sure, that's all.

Thanks!

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The antique road show came to town one year and he was happy to give me #4 for about 50 wheaties. One of which was 1909. He knew when he cheated me, unfortunately I did not know the value of the coin. Now what he didnt know I had the other half, the real money in the trunk of my care. He did not get to lay eyes on that. But Im pretty sure I eyed a french sword and vicky peak came to mind......they wouldnt let even take a picture of it.

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry but I'm just not seeing the "S" in the picture you are showing us. For that matter I can barely make out a "D" for the VDB on the reverse. Are you saying that you are certain this penny is a 1909-S VDB? Can you post a better picture that shows the S?

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
good hunt ...I leave these coins the two hour lemon juice. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry but I'm just not seeing the "S" in the picture you are showing us. For that matter I can barely make out a "D" for the VDB on the reverse. Are you saying that you are certain this penny is a 1909-S VDB? Can you post a better picture that shows the S?

It's quite alright screwnewy, you don't have to see them. My apologies to those who need better pics. But, yes, it is and I have proven it satisfactorily to me. (Believe me when I do say, I did some intense forensics.) Just don't have the wherewithal to buy equipment equal to the task of proving to everyone else who doesn't know me and doesn't trust in my word.

It is and I'll just leave it at that, I am a VERY happy camper.

Thanks for the response!

Ya know? I should have just followed my gut feel on this one and just said what I'd found without working as hard as I did to get a picture to post. Should've just not posted a pic at all. :dontknow:

Last edited:

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
It's quite alright screwnewy, you don't have to see them. My apologies to those who need better pics. But, yes, it is and I have proven it satisfactorily to me. (Believe me when I do say, I did some intense forensics.) Just don't have the wherewithal to buy equipment equal to the task of proving to everyone else who doesn't know me and doesn't trust in my word.

Thanks for the response!

Ya know? I should have just followed my gut feel on this one and just said what I'd found without working as hard as I did to get a picture to post. Should've just not posted a pic at all. :dontknow:

Sorry friend, I don't want to be a doubter. I'd be the first to say congratulation on an amazing and rare find but I like I said, I'm just not seeing it and I'm not sure how you are. But in the end if you believe it that's all that matters and I'm happy for you!

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry friend, I don't want to be a doubter. I'd be the first to say congratulation on an amazing and rare find but I like I said, I'm just not seeing it and I'm not sure how you are. But in the end if you believe it that's all that matters and I'm happy for you!

I can just see it I think (S), and I can barely see the VDB. I would be very excited if I had found it. Congrats!

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think this is what you do now: Just detect for whatever ends up under your coil. Impossible to be disappointed that way! Congrats on one of the Holy Grails of the hobby.

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Treble... now that was funny.... lol lol

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs and thanks for the pics

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks for the response!

I give so many of my tips away for free. One way to get a close up picture is to get a box of Jewelers Lopes at Harbor Frieght for a buck. Just put them over the lenses of your camera and the camera will do the rest.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2mp is also a good setting for digital camers if your gonna post pictures here. My laptop has a over sized picture I have to scroll back and forth lol.

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I appreciate the sentiment. Albeit you saying you don't want to be a doubter yet go on to attempt to prove your case with a cheap pic off the net. ;)
And as I said, you don't HAVE to see it, I didn't ask for opinions on purpose. So, if I believe it and I am a happy camper, why you trying to ruin the feeling with your doubts? Are you afraid that someone might laugh at you for being "taken in"?

Thanks again.

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I give so many of my tips away for free. One way to get a close up picture is to get a box of Jewelers Lopes at Harbor Frieght for a buck. Just put them over the lenses of your camera and the camera will do the rest.

2mp is also a good setting for digital camers if your gonna post pictures here. My laptop has a over sized picture I have to scroll back and forth lol.

How do you suppose I got as good a pic as I got? LOL

Thanks for the help!

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think this is what you do now: Just detect for whatever ends up under your coil. Impossible to be disappointed that way! Congrats on one of the Holy Grails of the hobby.

Thanks! Ya know, I REALLY don't know why this one is such a "holy grail" anyway. It's really not as rare as some and much less value than many! :)

STILL, I did set out to find this very coin many, many years ago. So, I say, finally! AND, NEXT! LOL

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow Whadi, what a find! Congrats and I don,t know what you do next. Hold the coin in your possession a while. A coins fate is to try to travel when it can and wait if not able too.
Maybe just keep swinging and see what comes your way.
You don,t have the luxury of retiring from detecting unless you want to buy bling for fishy and blingie's habit and that would be costly.:laughing7:

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow Whadi, what a find! Congrats and I don,t know what you do next. Hold the coin in your possession a while. A coins fate is to try to travel when it can and wait if not able too.
Maybe just keep swinging and see what comes your way.
You don,t have the luxury of retiring from detecting unless you want to buy bling for fishy and blingie's habit and that would be costly.:laughing7:

You're absolutely correct R.C. but, even in a divorce, each only gets "HALF". I don't think he'd want to cut back that much. ;)

Thanks!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread