Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UPDATED PICS.

You'll understand my vague subject line by the end. ;)

Went to a couple three places today. I started out going to the last field I was on but today there was some sort of function there. I opted for plan B. BUT, on my way there, I saw this lonesome, open field/park. It was freshly mowed and kind of wandered along a tiny creek. So, plan B quickly became plan C. :)

I was only interested in making a quick exploration, high end targets and cover a bit of random ground. Just to see what I might be dealing with there. Turned out to be very, very rocky and trashy with just a thin layer of soil. Plenty grass to look at, but not much under. I figure it was because of the creek flooding over the years, washed out.

Anyway, I did manage to uncover a coin. ONE! In about an hour walking around and that was a very flaky hit! LOL

2014 (593).jpg

A wheatie, fair condition, tossed in the pouch and moved onto plan C.
But, we'll revisit this one.

This was a fall back plan. It was the same place where I turned that 2 center back a while ago. That's been the ONLY old coin to come out of several walks there. Nice place, just not much old coming out.

Still, all in all, not too bad a day:

2014 (588).jpg
2014 (589).jpg
2014 (590).jpg

Just about the teeniest bling ring I ever found! LOL

2014 (591).jpg
2014 (592).jpg

I think fishy got away with that one cause Blingy was
too busy trying to wear this. I tried to tell him he couldn't
wear an earring, he needed ears! ;) But, he wasn't having
any of that! :)

2014 (596).jpg
2014 (597).jpg
2014 (598).jpg
2014 (599).jpg
2014 (600).jpg

Got this weird piece next to the cornfield.
Non-magnetic, about 18.18 grams, not lead.
I'm not sure how to proceed with this one. The brown is mostly dirt. I'm
also not sure how to even attempt cleaning it any further. You see it's fairly
uniform but fraying at the edges. Not even sure the metal.
Rings in at a solid 72. :dontknow:

Now, about that wheatie up there.
I got it home and immediately noticed a date. I did some VERY careful
cleaning and some serious forensic work. Using the high magnification that I have at hand,
I have completely convinced myself what this is. BUT, I can't do anymore proof than the following
pics. I just am not equipped to take the high magnification shots that might show you why
I'm pretty certain. So, the following is the best I can do.

2014 (594).jpg
2014 (595).jpg

Now, you guys can think whatever you want, but I am quite satisfied with the results of my forensics.

OH! And, yes, I did some study on fakes of this coin. I do know they're out there and am pretty good
by now at being able to tell. (40 years is a LONG time! LOL )

I am FINALLY crossing one of the coins off my bucket list. It's one that's been on there ever since
I started hunting some 40 years ago.

Thanks for taking the time to read all that! LOL

I am one VERY happy camper tonight. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 12

Brother Al

Jul 23, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Three White's, one Fisher and a Minelab.....I'm beginning to wonder if I am a metal detectorist .....or a collector of metal detectors?
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1959? lol....

Brother Al

Jul 23, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Three White's, one Fisher and a Minelab.....I'm beginning to wonder if I am a metal detectorist .....or a collector of metal detectors?
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Youre hunk of metal kind of looks like a fragment to a pineapple grenade i found at a training base,too big though.Let me guess on the wheatie,1909 VDB but is there an S?

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
too bad it is not an S VDB :(

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A big congratulations to you my friend. I know how rewarding it is to cross an item off your bucket list. And must be doubly rewarding having waited so long to find that elusive coin. Great Job!!!

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let me guess on the wheatie,1909 VDB but is there an S?

Let me just put it this way. The 1909 VDB coin was crossed off my list quite a while ago.

I'm sorry I can't give a better close up and I'm NOT going to say "Trust me".

It's a shame that it couldn't have come out of the ground in better shape. BUT, like I said,
I am a VERY happy camper!

Thanks for the response.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Let me just put it this way. The 1909 VDB coin was crossed off my list quite a while ago.

I'm sorry I can't give a better close up and I'm NOT going to say "Trust me".

It's a shame that it couldn't have come out of the ground in better shape. BUT, like I said,
I am a VERY happy camper!

:icon_thumright:When my dad died he had a pile of coins saved up.My mom and dad were separated and she went to clean out his apartment out.I got to go through the change to fill my coin books,one of the pennies i found was a 1909 vdb S.Later on being young I was stupid and needing and wanting spending money i sold a pile of coins for squat,including the 1909.The only thing that makes me feel better(at the time)was my mom deposited over 200 dollars worth of buffalo nickles into her bank account thinking she would get it back the same way.Not to mention that my dad had over 1000 bucks worth of pre 64 quarters in a sack which she deposited the same way:BangHead: Can i shoot myself now?:laughing9:

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have to tell you, in the photo you presented it is very clearly a 1909 penny. I didn't even need to put on my glasses to see this. I don't think you have to say "trust me" on this one.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
THAT OLD METAL PIECE IS PEWTER - WHETHER A BUTTON OR COIN COULD NOT TELL YOU
GUYS DID TRY AND MAKE COUNTERFEIT COINS OUT OF PEWTER

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why so mysterious? Just spit it out, I feel like I'm being tested, set up for failure by some woman. You know, the proverbial woman question, does my ass look big in these pants? OK so now what do I do?

Punt? Clean the coin with a hot peroxide bath? Man up and tell us what your talking about? Take it to a coin dealer? IDK, do you think its a real VDB 1909 S or are you saying its a fake. Are you crossing off a fake or a real VDB 1909 S, I'm just confused, stop talking in riddles and just spit it out. Who do you think you are Alfred Hitchcock? Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa lol lol
Just kidding with ya, so what is the real answer to your question, what are you going to do now Betty?

david680

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2014
Salem, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't see anything from the pics other than the date. Good thing you didn't say trust me, as I've seen coin dealers, who should have paid better attention, walking a better date coin around the bourse floor looking for a buyer, cause they got suckered. On the other hand, if you can see the VDB and mintmark, I would be less worried about it being fake, just because it was dug. The whole point of altering the coin would be to con somebody and make a lot of money off it. Does that mean a altered coin has never been dropped on the ground and lost? No, but if the details are there, I would actually say there is a better chance its real than if it was 2x2'ed.

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting