May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a very expensive gift. Was she told the provenance, if not she needs it. A coin like this needs its past sales (& findspot) with it, its present history is as important as its Ancient. These are one of the most copied types of coin, so I would suggest taking it to an expert in ancient coins. If real, she is a very lucky lady, tell her from me.

PS.

Here are a couple of simple tests;

No good provenance - possible red flag
Weigh it (to 0.00 accuracy) - Check its the right weight, if too far out - red flag
Test with a magnet - if sticks - red flag
Check the edge of the coin - if there is a seam - red flag
Check the Die Axis - 12o'c or 6o'c etc (on these coins, not sure what they are meant to be, not something I studied)

If all these check out OK, you may not be out of the woods. They have even made them from real gold without seams etc...

Last edited:

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really really cool, now THATS old!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really really cool, now THATS old!

At this point it 'maybe' real old. I have my fingers cross, but my gut on this one is telling me otherwise. I'm not putting down the gift, only giving my free advice on what to do to check it & save it with all it's info. (She is only the current Custodian)

Last edited:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, sometimes I don't think how old you & your Sis maybe, I hope I haven't ruined someones nice intentions. (towards your young? Sis)

OP
OP
fredbug 67

fredbug 67

Oct 12, 2013
Mahwah,NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro -XP Deus-
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My sister took the coin to a coin dealer. He weighed the coin and was amazed at its condition. He said it was the real thing- over 2,000 years old! The elderly woman left it to her in her will and not sure how she can check the provenance of the coin. When you hold it, you can't help but think how many people have held that coin since before Christ was born. I told her to get a safe deposit box before it is stolen or lost.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well , after some testing it should be clear (size /weight ) to tell whether or not you have solid high karat gold - so barring gold plated
lead , you at least would either have a very nice replica ,or the real deal if as Cru suggested you can get solid provenance. Keep us
informed on this one !

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The reverse appears to show the goddess of Victory (Nike) holding a wreath in her right hand and a ship's mast in her left; commemorating Neachus' expedition of 326 BC, thereby giving a clue as to the coin's date. Neachus was Alexander's Admiral of the Fleet.
Don...

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
My sister took the coin to a coin dealer. He weighed the coin and was amazed at its condition. He said it was the real thing- over 2,000 years old! The elderly woman left it to her in her will and not sure how she can check the provenance of the coin. When you hold it, you can't help but think how many people have held that coin since before Christ was born. I told her to get a safe deposit box before it is stolen or lost.

Surely if the coin is genuine and of such importance, then the elderly lady must have had some documentation or notes concerning the coin. This could be actual documentation, a log/inventory of items in a Bank Deposit Box, a personal log or inventory of items or even entries in a Diary. The elderly lady's Attorney or family members may know where these are or give an indication of where to look. Now, getting access to any of these items through the Attorney or the family, might be easier said than done! However, if the coin is genuine and has provenance that should have been included in you receiving it per the Will, then this should give you the right to ask and hopefully receive the documentation. Such a gift without provenance, would be like being Willed the contents of a Bank Account but no Bank or Bank Account Number is named or given in the Will!

Frank

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Lots of illegal coins like this do not have the proper export licence, but if you can find it, keep it with the coin. I'm not surprised the dealer was amazed at the condition, but that was my first alarm bell. As I say, I have my fingers crossed for for Sis & she is very lucky to have such a great coin left to her.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread