Its raining horse, oxen and mule shoes here.... STILL!!!!

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's raining horse, oxen and mule shoes here.... STILL!!!!

Ok folks… I know this isn't "treasure" but I am so curious why I find SO MANY DAMN shoes. I found 2 more half ones today. If there was a "king of half horseshoes" I got to be in the running. Now I am finding them all on this old wagon road behind my home. The road from my home runs about 3/4 mile to the Duck River here in Middle TN. I have barely even began to MD a lot of this road and found all these shoes in a very short space. And I find a lot of these short chain links also. I do not know the difference between mule shoes or horseshoes. Maybe some of these 1/2 shoes are oxen maybe (split hooves). My buddy Huntsmans53 (Frank) and I found 4-5 in just a 30-40 ft. search this spring. I've tried to research today the age of these but didn't find out much. I did find out though that most horses shoes were manufactured during the civil war and have stamps on them. On the one I cleaned up I can't find any stamp. Some of the shotgun head stamps I've found on this road were from 1864 on up (No. 12 U.S. ROMAX). I believe there was an old river ferry crossing behind my home and can't wait to go back later when the foliage is down and it cools off here.

So anybody have any idea about how old some of these shoes might be. There's probably no way of telling but I'm just inquiring anyway in case. Thanks …. Brad

Attachments

• S6300483.JPG
    S6300483.JPG
    94.5 KB · Views: 293
  • S6300486.JPG
    S6300486.JPG
    86.7 KB · Views: 243
  • S6300488.JPG
    S6300488.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 211
  • S6300489.JPG
    S6300489.JPG
    88.9 KB · Views: 220
  • S6300490.JPG
    S6300490.JPG
    103 KB · Views: 239
  • S6300491.JPG
    S6300491.JPG
    88.3 KB · Views: 237
  • S6300492.JPG
    S6300492.JPG
    89.4 KB · Views: 237
  • S6300501.JPG
    S6300501.JPG
    474.5 KB · Views: 168
Upvote 6

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Not answering how old but wondering what went on there. A place to acquire horses,military or civilian and perhaps a blacksmith. Certainly seems there was a farrier or some one experienced that worked on a lot of animals. Local history there reflect a ranch or outpost? Just seems like the mother-lode there. Ferry crossing means water for stock so maybe a large pasture and or corral was near. Dang all them critters with riders bouncing on them must have shook some coins loose. If you ever get under the carpet of shoes...:laughing7:

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
still really cool, I recently found a shoe that I wasn't sure about and someone had posted that it appeared to be oxen and it is the same as some of yours, so you have verified what I have as well. thanks for the great pics

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not answering how old but wondering what went on there. A place to acquire horses,military or civilian and perhaps a blacksmith. Certainly seems there was a farrier or some one experienced that worked on a lot of animals. Local history there reflect a ranch or outpost? Just seems like the mother-lode there. Ferry crossing means water for stock so maybe a large pasture and or corral was near. Dang all them critters with riders bouncing on them must have shook some coins loose. If you ever get under the carpet of shoes...:laughing7:

Well buddy here's what I can tell ya since I got here 20 years ago. I bought 12.5 acres of undeveloped land in Hickman Co. TN. There was NOTHING around this ridge top meaning buildings or cleared land. All there was, was WOODS and more WOODED land. Now that doesn't mean at one time some wasn't cleared with homes along this old road... maybe? I understand this old wagon road behind my home used to be the main road between Centerville and Columbia TN. I also think it was used for a logging road LONG AGO also. I also think this road was used during the civil war to transport military personal and equipment. When you get to the Duck River at the bluff... WHAT A VIEW YOU HAVE looking East upon the valley floor looking over the Duck River. Huntsmans53 (Frank) and I both think this would of been a very important piece of ground to hold at the time if viewed in person. I/we believe an old ferry was used at the base of this ridge.

This old road is about 200-250 yds. from the undocumented cave I found also. So releventchair.... I'm with you about the old coins. But I've barely even began to MD and have found all these shoes but not one coin (yet). I'm just wondering how SO MANY SHOES can be in one place.

So does anyone know the difference between mule, horse or oxen shoes (not broken horseshoes) from what I've posted?

Last edited:

dnewbury2

Mar 20, 2004
Cherokee, AL, Occupied C.S.A.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, Tesoro Golden Sabre and Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It could be like a site near me. I live near the cavalry camps of Union General James Wilson at Gravelly Springs Alabama. Before they left the camps in the spring they reshod about 20,000 horses and left the old shoes behind. The trees in the area used to be decorated with dug up horse shoes.

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It could be like a site near me. I live near the cavalry camps of Union General James Wilson at Gravelly Springs Alabama. Before they left the camps in the spring they reshod about 20,000 horses and left the old shoes behind. The trees in the area used to be decorated with dug up horse shoes.

You might be right buddy...:dontknow: But I am finding them up and down this old trail. I've found many right behind my home on the trail and some way back on the other end.

QUESTION: What's the difference between a mule shoe and a horseshoe? And are some of the shoes in the 1st post oxen shoes? Some of them do look like half of a horseshoe but then wouldn't the other half be right there close? I find more "halves" then anything.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brad if you want the crown for King of Half Horseshoes". It's yours! I dub thee -King of Half Horseshoes!
Brad is now officially King of HH, for short.

That is a lot of shoes lost, that had to have been a blacksmiths or a dump of some kind! Are you sure you're not finding them by day and sleep walking at night reseeding the ground with horseshoes?

Nice haul! Find a way to make them make $ for you. Put them on a plaque and sell them to the tourist, you in fact never know who rode what horse that shoe came off of!

There has to be more stuff there, maybe under all the horseshoes! It is a mystery so far....you seem to attract mysteries!
There's more there keep at it! GL. HH!

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Shape of foot a factor. Oxen worked risked split hooves so did not get the luxury of barefooting. Some ox shoes had a piece to roll over top of each toe but most just flat. The weight bearing surface is different with a flare near rear. Horse shoes wear in front center when shod correctly and foot is trimmed healthy first.
Your pieces,many seem to have been extremely worn horse/mule shoes that were weakest from wear in the center front and later rusted through.
There are horse shoes mixed in these pics that stand out from the ox shoes.A couple mule shoes too.

https://www.google.com/search?q=oxe...yNc-RyASF9YKYBQ&ved=0CBwQsAQ&biw=1366&bih=643

Here is a basic example of mule vs horse. Note the near straight sides of mule shoe with most bend at top(front of hoof).
Often raised caulks were on mule shoes for traction on rock and, on both animals in snow/ice conditions or heavy draft horses. Don,t slip horsey..

IMG_0069.JPG (gwatson photo.Treasure hunters gazette.)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Brad if you want the crown for King of Half Horseshoes". It's yours! I dub thee -King of Half Horseshoes!
Brad is now officially King of HH, for short.

That is a lot of shoes lost, that had to have been a blacksmiths or a dump of some kind! Are you sure you're not finding them by day and sleep walking at night reseeding the ground with horseshoes?

Nice haul! Find a way to make them make $ for you. Put them on a plaque and sell them to the tourist, you in fact never know who rode what horse that shoe came off of!

There has to be more stuff there, maybe under all the horseshoes! It is a mystery so far....you seem to attract mysteries!
There's more there keep at it! GL. HH!

It isn't no dump lady.... found them all right on the path and I've hardly even searched. I think this old road was used hard LONG BEFORE the civil war. I've found wagon parts, old iron I have no idea what it ever was and these damn short pieces of chain for some reason. When Frank (Huntsman53) was here MDing with me he said lets get off this road and detect the woods by the road. AND WE STILL FOUND SHOES!!!!! And I do know who rode the horse who's shoe came off... I'm writing up certified "Letters of Authenticity" after I mount each shoe on a nice plaque. I just know!!!! :laughing7:

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Shape of foot a factor. Oxen worked risked split hooves so did not get the luxury of barefooting. Some ox shoes had a piece to roll over top of each toe but most just flat. The weight bearing surface is different with a flare near rear. Horse shoes wear in front center when shod correctly and foot is trimmed healthy first.
Your pieces,many seem to have been extremely worn horse/mule shoes that were weakest from wear in the center front and later rusted through.
There are horse shoes mixed in these pics that stand out from the ox shoes.A couple mule shoes too.

https://www.google.com/search?q=oxe...yNc-RyASF9YKYBQ&ved=0CBwQsAQ&biw=1366&bih=643

Here is a basic example of mule vs horse. Note the near straight sides of mule shoe with most bend at top(front of hoof).
Often raised caulks were on mule shoes for traction on rock and, on both animals in snow/ice conditions or heavy draft horses. Don,t slip horsey..

View attachment 1030245 (gwatson photo.Treasure hunters gazette.)

Thanks guy.... I see the difference now between the mule and horse shoes now. Now for the oxen shoes... non of mine seems like any from the link you sent me. The oxen shoes seem really wide in the front and "mine" just look broken half horseshoes. Which leads me to ask where the hell is the other half when I find a half? When I find a coin the world will know it... INSTANTLY!!!! :headbang:

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't give up found some of those on the old farm sites but never any great concentrations like that, gotta be something else there surely!

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't give up found some of those on the old farm sites but never any great concentrations like that, gotta be something else there surely!

I keep thinking that also CRM... maybe today. Gonna go try again shortly.

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I keep thinking that also CRM... maybe today. Gonna go try again shortly.

A few ideas come to mind, like someone was using this area as a depot. Raising horses and mules to supply to the army. If not, you probably have, as was suggested, a cavalry camp somewhere nearby. A third possibility is that you had a blacksmith and this was widely known as an area to get your animals reshod. What is your percentage of oxen shoes to other types?

callmez

May 25, 2014
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Funny, I was just asking a friend about the half horseshoes I found on her property in east Tennessee, just west of Knoxville. An old road (not sure how old--seen on an 1895 map, but gone before 1940) used to run through the property and in scanning the property I found four half horseshoes and no whole horseshoes; three of them were uncovered right along the old roadside in just a short span of space and I bypassed a couple more signals that sounded the same as I was hoping for a few old coins. It's a large property so I was just checking around to see what might be found where, but along the old road looks like horseshoe heaven. Or maybe half horseshoe heaven.

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A few ideas come to mind, like someone was using this area as a depot. Raising horses and mules to supply to the army. If not, you probably have, as was suggested, a cavalry camp somewhere nearby. A third possibility is that you had a blacksmith and this was widely known as an area to get your animals reshod. What is your percentage of oxen shoes to other types?

"What is your percentage of oxen shoes to other types?" I really don't know because I'm native about "shoes". And the oxen shoes I've seen online don't look like the "halves" I've found. And another member says "Horseshoes wear in front center" which I assume leaves halves if one half falls off. And I'll say again... most of these shoes were found on the small wagon road still visible in this woods. These were not found all in one area but IN the road or close but within 3-4 ft. of it. Maybe the road moved or was a two lane one at one time??? I found 2 more today a long ways from where I've found others. No matter where I go on this old road I find HORSESHOES. So I only find these shoes close to the old wagon road not in any clearing (today). It's all totally oak wooded.

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Funny, I was just asking a friend about the half horseshoes I found on her property in east Tennessee, just west of Knoxville. An old road (not sure how old--seen on an 1895 map, but gone before 1940) used to run through the property and in scanning the property I found four half horseshoes and no whole horseshoes; three of them were uncovered right along the old roadside in just a short span of space and I bypassed a couple more signals that sounded the same as I was hoping for a few old coins. It's a large property so I was just checking around to see what might be found where, but along the old road looks like horseshoe heaven. Or maybe half horseshoe heaven.

"Horse shoes wear in front center" I was told by another member so maybe your my "equal" on these halves? :occasion14: But I've found ALL OF MINE on this road or within 3-4 ft. of it not in a cleared area or up "inside the woods". I found 2 more today in fact. Still looking for the first coin yet on this road.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread