Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I went out to a local elementary school on Friday after work. The place is old and has given a up a silver or two. I was walking around, bottlecap here, pull tab there, some clad.... and a big round piece to a junk necklace. I get a nice hit... really nice... like an aluminum can. It had been raining and the ground was soft, so I went to dig, and noticed that someone had already dug here... then I remembered trying to dig this target up another time. I got about 6" down, but the ground was too hard, and I was sure it was a can anyway. The pinpointer went off at 6"... I dug to about 10", stick the pinpointer in... and nothing. I checked the dirt and sure enough... a big gray electrical box knockout plug... it's a slug... but wait a mintue... it has a little patch of silver on it... as I wipe it off, it's got Ben Franklin's face on it... I just couldn't believe my eyes... What an awesome feeling...

I put a couple of toy guns in here, for those of you that do not like awesome giant silver coins.

Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• IMG_20140725_193046_976-1.jpg
    IMG_20140725_193046_976-1.jpg
    462.7 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_20140725_203104_195-1.jpg
    IMG_20140725_203104_195-1.jpg
    300.5 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_20140726_144501_463-1.jpg
    IMG_20140726_144501_463-1.jpg
    540.9 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_20140726_155329_790-1.jpg
    IMG_20140726_155329_790-1.jpg
    420.6 KB · Views: 145
Upvote 19

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ole Ben looks mighty fine to me, congrats

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Carolina Tom, I think you found the walker a few weeks ago that looked really similar with the red clay? Was it at the same spot as this half?

So the trend is your going to dig halves every couple of weeks? :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
Carolina Tom

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Carolina Tom, I think you found the walker a few weeks ago that looked really similar with the red clay? Was it at the same spot as this half?

So the trend is your going to dig halves every couple of weeks? :icon_scratch:

Pointman, you are correct. I found the Walker probably 70 Ft. from where I found the Franklin. The Walker had been in the ground a lot longer, it had REALLY bad corrosion on it... green crystally nodules... see attached pic. The ground is heavily fertilized, so the silvers take a beating.

As for digging halves every couple of weeks... that would be nice, but to be honest, I am just lucky... dumb luck to be exact. I hunt as much as I can, but I am a bit of a hack, too lazy to dig deep targets, I aimlessly walk around, no gridding for me, I get hot and frustrated easily, then I just quit and go home mad. Ask anyone that has hunted with me, they will tell you. It is just luck, it makes me look way better than I really am. Thanks! GL&HH.

Attachments

• IMG_20140630_210655.jpg
    IMG_20140630_210655.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Atta boy CT! That's a real looker bud. Nice find

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I put a couple of toy guns in here, for those of you that do not like awesome giant silver coins.

I like super awesome giant silver coins!!

heck of a job, cant wait to hit my first silver half of any era!!!

jfeeney

Sep 16, 2012
Dayton
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool find... Old Ben is on high on my list of most wanted coins.

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well I'm officially inspired by this thread for two reasons. At an elementary school I've been working and digging some silver (mercs and a barber dime), I've got two signals I've given up on multiple times now.

1) High hit, deep, and the pinpointer still picks something up dug down 8" or so. I've never found a pop can there, but I just assumed something that big and deep would be junk...now I want to get back and dig til I get there to see what it is! I may have to take a gallon of water and dump in the hole though at this point to soften the dirt up enough to dig though!

2) Same site, next to where I dug at least one merc and the barber, there is a dime-level hit I'm getting beneath two huge roots. Soil is super hard there because grass won't grow at the base of this tree, but it's got to be silver. Not sure how I want to approach it yet though....but I will get it out! I want to go easy though because I DESTROYED a thin silver ring (like literally broke the band) pulling it out of a hole under a root of the same tree.

That said, Franklins are one of my favorite coins, although I only own one (bought it when I was actively collecting) and it's in terrible shape. Nice find!

OP
OP
Carolina Tom

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I like super awesome giant silver coins!!

heck of a job, cant wait to hit my first silver half of any era!!!

Thanks CJON. You have gotten a lot of nice coins this year, I am sure that a half will show up before much longer. I have been really lucky to find 2 of them this year. I will tell you, it is one awesome feeling when a coin that large comes out of the hole... they are thick and heavy... it boggles the mind... you sorta look at it and think that it just can't be a coin... then you see the image... and you can't believe what you are seeing... it takes your breath away... just wait...

valleyglen

Dec 21, 2012
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
E-trac
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The soil in NC. is mostly red clay type soil. That coin had to be in contact with something
other than just the soil, Nice find regardless...

smittyman

Jun 6, 2012
Charlotte NC
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom - if you didn't have a job - you'd hoover up all the silver in Mecklenburg and surrounding counties. Congrats!

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tom - if you didn't have a job - you'd hoover up all the silver in Mecklenburg and surrounding counties. Congrats!

He better stay out of my county till I find at least one silver half dollar!!!

OP
OP
Carolina Tom

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
He better stay out of my county till I find at least one silver half dollar!!!

Come on Beez... I have hunted up there three times, and have not found any silver at all... not to mention a silver half. I am no threat to your big silver aspirations... Smittyman is the real enemy... He must be watched carefully and monitored closely. When Smittyman is around all of our silver dreams are in dire jeopardy. Keep your friends close and your enemies closer!

I am ready to come up and hunt whenever it is good for you... and you are always welcome at my house. We really do need to set up another hunt around Charlotte. I had a lot of fun last time... and we both found silvers! GL&HH.

Last edited:
L

l2hunt

only found one franklin, a 62, made a coin ring out of it, love wearing it! HH

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pointman, you are correct. I found the Walker probably 70 Ft. from where I found the Franklin. The Walker had been in the ground a lot longer, it had REALLY bad corrosion on it... green crystally nodules... see attached pic. The ground is heavily fertilized, so the silvers take a beating.

As for digging halves every couple of weeks... that would be nice, but to be honest, I am just lucky... dumb luck to be exact. I hunt as much as I can, but I am a bit of a hack, too lazy to dig deep targets, I aimlessly walk around, no gridding for me, I get hot and frustrated easily, then I just quit and go home mad. Ask anyone that has hunted with me, they will tell you. It is just luck, it makes me look way better than I really am. Thanks! GL&HH.

I like your honesty.

Either way, luck or not it's a beautiful coin and an awesome find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions