OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of you may recall that I found my first US Large Cent a few weeks ago in my Father's back yard in SE Pennsylvania. It was a pretty rough specimen, but I did give a date of 1820. Perfect age for what the early maps say was a Methodist Church in his back yard. The Church was built before 1820, and was moved in 1860.

Since that time I have been back to my Fathers' house several times, finding nothing more exciting than a few beat up Indian Heads, some bent up period brass, and a lot of early forged nails. Until today. Nice weather, so I thought I'd give it a shot.

I have tried to be selective with what I dig, because there are MANY targets in my Dad's yard. Within about a half hour of getting started I hit a solid 50 target on my F70. I hit this target the last time I was hunting the same spot, and passed it up. Not sure why, but today I decided to dig it. Glad I did. About 5 inches deep.

Near as I can tell, it is a Masonic Jewel made of 18K gold (acid tested). It is not marked in any way (which means it is likely of American manufacture). Note on the front, the bright-cut decoration (typical of late 1700's to early 1800's silver work). On the top half of the piece is a Masonic compass and square. On the bottom, is a Masonic arch. Both are symbols used to decorate masonic Jewel pieces.

As I have learned this afternoon, a masonic "jewel" is a medal, medallion, fob, necklace, or other precious metal article decorated with Masonic symbols, and worn in ceremony. This piece seems most likely to have been hanging from a chest medal or similar item. Note that the inside cavity is hollow (which was sometimes used to place ceremonial scrolls, etc, inside).

I'm certainly not an expert, but this thing looks like a pretty cool early Masonic item to me.

fob1.jpg
fob2.jpg
fob3.jpg

Upvote 22

FunWithTreasure

Oct 12, 2008
Other than seeing what you WANT to see, You don't include any links to items of similar design or other background info of items as old as you think this is. Other pics of masonic items are distinct in their design and not general such as this. There has to be an explanation for the hollow and links to research to back up the findings. The last thing that puzzles me is why if being 18K it isn't a brighter color. Did you do the test or someone else? I AM NOT CONVINCED!

It's comments like this that make people not use the forum anymore. I hardly ever post finds anymore. Every once in a while I will. But years ago I would post everyday. But because people are jealous certain persons said that because I had so many finds I was "planting" them. There is so many ways you could have had your opinion but you chose the rude way. Congrats on adding to the list of negative people. Regardless it's a great find.

Got_4by4

Feb 9, 2009
Treasure Valley Id
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro, White's IDX/Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your opinion on the subject is a matter of complete indifference to me, as I suspect it is to most.

Let me offer you this free complimentary puppy to kick.
Unlike "your" item, the small "gold" item that you showed attached to a ribbon and the
more recent item as posted by Coin1921 show clearly, both the compass and square.
THEY ARE "UN-MISTAKEABLE"! Clear and consise, just like the masons and their craft.

My question of "your" description of "early 1900.....masonic" in the title of this thread(the very first thing you wrote)
is why I asked for more proof. And the quality of your photo does not show to "me" as golden as most 18K I see.

It seems to "me" that you are too sensitive of criticism, not to be taken at your word!

True, you have found an interesting item. But its' purpose or the mystery of what it might have held, remains unanswered.

so I remain, UNCONVINCED, and un-apologetic for my earlier comments. Consider yourself, kicked!

And don't feel alone. You might want to read my comment to this thread too:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/425484-11-flint-found-southern-illinois-2.html

Last edited:

wheatfinder13

Silver Member
Nov 23, 2012
New Orleans
Detector(s) used
Teknetics alpha 2000 ,garret pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Unlike "your" item, the small "gold" item that you showed attached to a ribbon and the more recent item as posted by Coin1921 show clearly, both the compass and square. THEY ARE "UN-MISTAKEABLE"! Clear and consise, just like the masons and their craft. My question of "your" description of "early 1900.....masonic" in the title of this thread(the very first thing you wrote) is why I asked for more proof. And the quality of your photo does not show to "me" as golden as most 18K I see. It seems to "me" that you are too sensitive of criticism, not to be taken at your word! True, you have found an interesting item. But its' purpose or the mystery of what it might have held, remains unanswered. so I remain, UNCONVINCED, and un-apologetic for my earlier comments. Consider yourself, kicked! And don't feel alone. You might want to read my comment to this thread too: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/425484-11-flint-found-southern-illinois-2.html
Why are "you" putting "everything" in "quotes"?

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whatever it turns out to be it's a neat find and I'd be happy if I found it. When I find something I'm not to sure about ill post and get some conformation and I've done this a few times and not once has anyone treated me the way 4by4 has you. He could have came across a bit different and asked for more pics or more info instead he basically called you a liar which is clearly against the rules here on tnet. Might want to re read the rules so you don't take a vacation from tnet and next time ask for diff pics or information to maybe help the finder out a bit. Just my opinion.

OP
OP
OWK

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems to "me" that you are too sensitive of criticism, not to be taken at your word!

It seems to me, that you bear a strong resemblance to a feminine hygiene product one might use on a Summer's Eve.

]True, you have found an interesting item. But its' purpose or the mystery of what it might have held, remains unanswered.

so I remain, UNCONVINCED, and un-apologetic for my earlier comments. Consider yourself, kicked!

Kicked?

By an anonymous internet guy hiding behind the swollen testicles of anonymity?

Yeah, OK sonny. (maybe you should run along and let the grown-ups talk now).

OP
OP
OWK

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unlike "your" item, the small "gold" item that you showed attached to a ribbon and the
more recent item as posted by Coin1921 show clearly, both the compass and square.
THEY ARE "UN-MISTAKEABLE"! Clear and consise, just like the masons and their craft.

My question of "your" description of "early 1900.....masonic" in the title of this thread(the very first thing you wrote)
is why I asked for more proof. And the quality of your photo does not show to "me" as golden as most 18K I see.

True, you have found an interesting item. But its' purpose or the mystery of what it might have held, remains unanswered.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/425484-11-flint-found-southern-illinois-2.html

gun_barney_bullet.jpg

Clearly you're just too quick for me Deputy Fife.

Consider me "kicked". You're on to my dastardly plan to post pictures of something cool I dug out of the ground, and then tell people what I think it is. This forum ought to thank it's lucky stars it's got somebody like you around to demand "proof" when people are talking about an identification of an item. Otherwise they might be inclined to have opinions of their own.

Thanks for nipping it in the bud Deputy.

You can put your bullet in now.

Last edited:

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reminder This is TODAYS FINDS ! Not "What is it".

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a stellar find that ANYONE would be PROUD to have made. I agree that it is masonic, and pre-Civil War.

BIG congrats on a beautiful piece of old gold!

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OWK, during my "banned camp" period last year, I decided to see what a competing MD forum was like. I personally witnessed one of their members post how " stupid " members on this site were when they made bogus posts here. Your " admirer " might be one of these morons getting their jollies the only way they know how.....heckling since they probably don't even own a detector.

OP
OP
OWK

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OWK, during my "banned camp" period last year, I decided to see what a competing MD forum was like. I personally witnessed one of their members post how " stupid " members on this site were when they made bogus posts here. Your " admirer " might be one of these morons getting their jollies the only way they know how.....heckling since they probably don't even own a detector.

Actually Old Dude, what I really liked about this place when I signed up, is how decent everybody here seems to be. Almost without exception, people here seem eager to be helpful and to make you feel welcome. It seems like a brotherhood.

One bad apple doesn't really cause me any heartburn. I can handle myself OK with guys like that. It is kind of a shame though, that he has to make things ugly for the rest of the forum. I looked over some of his old posts. Seem like he's kind of nasty to just about everyone.

Maybe he needs more dietary fiber or something.

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This site has been the best site for our hobby and an glad I found it. I was bored one nite and was looking at YouTube videos and someone mentioned tnet and I remember coming across it when researching detectors but never joined. I'm glad I joined. It's been a very helpful site and have even made some friends on her. I've had disagreements with some guys but nothing real bad and heck one of the guys I was going back and forth with about a certain detector is a friend I met on here and we talk on pm from time to time. So glad I finally got on here and it's good that you won't let this guy discourage you. If you noticed the moderators will stop things when they get heated a bit. Anyway you have a unique find and I hope you get some answers. Finds like what you found is the reason I detect. Just wonder the story on that item, who lost it and what stories it could tell you if it could talk. Congrats again.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Other than seeing what you WANT to see, You don't include any links to items of similar design or other background info of items as old as you think this is. Other pics of masonic items are distinct in their design and not general such as this. There has to be an explanation for the hollow and links to research to back up the findings. The last thing that puzzles me is why if being 18K it isn't a brighter color. Did you do the test or someone else? I AM NOT CONVINCED!

Once again this is the "today's finds" forum not the what is it forum. ...."YOUR not required to be convinced!".....

4BY4 STOP BEING ABRASIVE TOWARDS OTHER MEMBERS!

if you don't agree about what it is that is your business but stop challenging it in this forum this is "today's finds", it is not his job to convince "You".....

As far as the being "kicked", mods and admins are the only ones here that do any kicking.

Again "STOP" being abrasive towards other members in "YOUR" posts!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread