OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of you may recall that I found my first US Large Cent a few weeks ago in my Father's back yard in SE Pennsylvania. It was a pretty rough specimen, but I did give a date of 1820. Perfect age for what the early maps say was a Methodist Church in his back yard. The Church was built before 1820, and was moved in 1860.

Since that time I have been back to my Fathers' house several times, finding nothing more exciting than a few beat up Indian Heads, some bent up period brass, and a lot of early forged nails. Until today. Nice weather, so I thought I'd give it a shot.

I have tried to be selective with what I dig, because there are MANY targets in my Dad's yard. Within about a half hour of getting started I hit a solid 50 target on my F70. I hit this target the last time I was hunting the same spot, and passed it up. Not sure why, but today I decided to dig it. Glad I did. About 5 inches deep.

Near as I can tell, it is a Masonic Jewel made of 18K gold (acid tested). It is not marked in any way (which means it is likely of American manufacture). Note on the front, the bright-cut decoration (typical of late 1700's to early 1800's silver work). On the top half of the piece is a Masonic compass and square. On the bottom, is a Masonic arch. Both are symbols used to decorate masonic Jewel pieces.

As I have learned this afternoon, a masonic "jewel" is a medal, medallion, fob, necklace, or other precious metal article decorated with Masonic symbols, and worn in ceremony. This piece seems most likely to have been hanging from a chest medal or similar item. Note that the inside cavity is hollow (which was sometimes used to place ceremonial scrolls, etc, inside).

I'm certainly not an expert, but this thing looks like a pretty cool early Masonic item to me.

fob1.jpg
fob2.jpg
fob3.jpg

Upvote 22

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat little treasure! You may have stumbled across something with some very unique history!

Dopalgangr

Tenderfoot
Jul 13, 2014
MD
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 and Garrett PinPointer Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey OWK, I'm in Frederick, MD and just getting into metal detecting. If your close and ever want a partner let me know! I don't have any places here but I'm eager to learn and get out with my detector. Thanks, Glen

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
very nice piece, it is really cool historically from our colorful past and good pics

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is way cool!

OP
OP
OWK

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey OWK, I'm in Frederick, MD and just getting into metal detecting. If your close and ever want a partner let me know! I don't have any places here but I'm eager to learn and get out with my detector. Thanks, Glen

Glen,

I am just getting back into the hobby myself after along hiatus.

Maybe if you happen to be over in Baltimore Co. some time, we can do some diggin.

OP
OP
OWK

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very nice piece, it is really cool historically from our colorful past and good pics

I like to think each little find comes with a lesson.

Lesson from this piece... when in an old site.. dig everything that doesn't grunt. :icon_thumright:

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OWK , Looking at your piece , it clearly is very special - I'm not yet convinced it's masonic - not because I have any expertise on
"masonic jewels" but because I don't see anything in the design work that is singularly masonic . The arch that you pointed out
is used extensively in Scandinavian chip carving motifs in wood for example - either in full rosette (round) or as you see here .
the same can be said for it's triangular counterpart at the top of the piece . I am in no way diminishing the stature of your
find , only questioning the masonic connection . Outstanding Find !!!

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bet that was a real surprise of a find !!!

OP
OP
OWK

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OWK , Looking at your piece , it clearly is very special - I'm not yet convinced it's masonic - not because I have any expertise on
"masonic jewels" but because I don't see anything in the design work that is singularly masonic . The arch that you pointed out
is used extensively in Scandinavian chip carving motifs in wood for example - either in full rosette (round) or as you see here .
the same can be said for it's triangular counterpart at the top of the piece . I am in no way diminishing the stature of your
find , only questioning the masonic connection . Outstanding Find !!!

No need to be reluctant in your skepticism. Discussion is good.

I pondered over this piece for awhile before making the post, and concluded that the represented motif (although admittedly stylistic) could not be accidental. Particularly the compass and square. (I have taken the liberty of roughly highlighting the compass and square in blue).

fob1a.jpg
Masonic-Compasses-Square.jpg
images.jpg

Given the unusual nature of the piece (it is a hollow pass-through rectangle with the center completely open, as if to store something), and the compass and square represented at the top, I really couldn't draw any other conclusion. Some might argue that this represents wishful thinking, but I really don't have any particular desire for this to be a masonic piece. I simply called it as I see it. It's a small piece, and the decoration is bright-cut (making it stylistic rather than representational) but that sure looks like a compass and square to me.

I can't think of any reason that a piece of jewelry would be made with a hollow pass through center (lockets were already common), and include a bright-cut representation of a compass and square, unless it were intended as a Masonic piece.

But I'm open to other interpretations.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am not sure I would have been good enough to have seen the Masonic symbols if I had been the one to find it, but I did see it after reading your original post before you actually highlighted it. Very nice piece and I am sure the site has more for you. Fortunate for you it is where it is!

OP
OP
OWK

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Old Dude.

It is pretty convenient to be hunting my Fathers' back yard and be pulling up early 19th century goodies, but it is an exercise in patience. There are a few target rich areas, but those seem to be loaded with big hand-forged square-head nails. I'm either working in between nails with a 6x10 concentric, or I'm trying to go deep with a 10x12 butterfly coil. I found this thing with the butterfly coil somewhat out of the main concentration of targets. I'm trying to learn this detector, and hunt at the same time.

I get a lot of choppy hits in between the nails, but I don't know if they're targets or they're discriminator chirps. One way to find out I suppose.

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Congrats on your wonderful find - it's awesome! :occasion16::wav::occasion16: I'm sure you'll find out more about it over time. Andi

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is very cool! You've found an interesting and unique object. Have you ever seen The Man Who Would Be King with Sean Connery and Michael Caine? If not, try to get a copy to watch. It will make your discovery all the more exciting. Congrats on a great find!

OP
OP
OWK

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your wonderful find - it's awesome! :occasion16::wav::occasion16: I'm sure you'll find out more about it over time. Andi

I hope so. (but this is likely a purpose made piece by a small town metalsmith, so it might be tough).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread