First Silver Rosey After 15 Months of Metal Detecting!

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally found my first silver Rosey! It's a 1953 and in pretty nice condition. I've found Mercs, Barbers and even two pre-1800 half reals, but never a silver Rosey.

It was about five inches down and under a small rock. It was an iffy signal until I yanked the rock out and then I knew I had something good. It was really grungy, so I cleaned it up a bit.

Here's some pics. Unfortunately, I forgot to take a photo of the back of the Rosey before I cleaned it.

1953 rosey dirty.jpg 1953 rosey clean front.JPG 1953 rosey clean back.JPG

Upvote 6

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow nice cleaning! Looks great, forgive my ignorance but how did you clean it?

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow nice cleaning! Looks great, forgive my ignorance but how did you clean it?

The coin guys are going to cringe on this one! I clean all my common silver coins with Wright's brass polish! Sorry, guys! That '53 Rosey had a mintage of over 53 million, so it really doesn't have much numismatic value anyway.

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks good!

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks good!

Thanks! I just couldn't leave it in that condition! But I always check the mintage numbers before I clean any coin. My two half reals are still tarnished and grungy because I really don't know the mintage numbers on those two coins. I'm tempted, but I haven't cleaned them up at all.

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably a good move not cleaning up the Reales

RileyDigger

Jul 13, 2014
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice find. I only hunt a couple hours a week but I also found my first Silver Rosie the other day; the only problem is that I found it on my kitchen table with the rest of my pocket change. :laughing7:

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice first, it cleaned up very nice, I love cleaning my coins too, almost as much as finding them.

detroitdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett gtax 1000,Garrett ace 250, Technetics delta
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first Rosie! HH

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on your first Rosie. You have reale(s)... but no Rosies... that boggles my mind. I have found more Rosies than any other silvers.

Nice find. GL&HH!

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first Rosie. You have reale(s)... but no Rosies... that boggles my mind. I have found more Rosies than any other silvers.

It does seem very strange. What's really weird is that I've only found 2 silver coins on my property. One was a 1920 Merc and the other was a 1903 Barber! How is that possible? I know that I was the first person to detect my yard, since it's been owned by my family since 1964. It was built in 1930, so it should have given up more than 2 silvers! Not right!

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on breaking the silver drought! My last silver rosie showed up when I rechecked a dig then still had signal , found a clad quarter then dug down deeper for the silver !!

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
I've grown to accept those who clean common silvers that are only worth melt. However, I will always cringe when it first comes out of the ground and the finder rushes to rub that dirt off. Who knows what date/mm is really there? You could be ruining a $1,000 coin.

Alchemist

Feb 8, 2014
Badger State
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum Pro w/11" coil, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202, Garret ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It does seem very strange. What's really weird is that I've only found 2 silver coins on my property. One was a 1920 Merc and the other was a 1903 Barber! How is that possible? I know that I was the first person to detect my yard, since it's been owned by my family since 1964. It was built in 1930, so it should have given up more than 2 silvers! Not right!

You know what's not right? Owning a property where the house was built in 1890...and no silver:BangHead:. Of course, I can't verify that it's never been :metaldetector: before...I moved in there in 2007.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pretty funny that you haven't found one in over a year considering that you are finding other types of dimes. I find mostly Mercury dimes. Seems that Washington quarters still run from me. I've only found 2 in the past year, although I have bought a bunch in bulk and truthfully would rather find more dimes. Seeing a little bitty silver dime peaking out of the hole seems much more interesting because they are small and allusive. It is one coin that seems to appear after I have detected a place multiple times and it leaves me head scratching how it hid from me.

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know what's not right? Owning a property where the house was built in 1890...and no silver. Of course, I can't verify that it's never been before...I moved in there in 2007.

Wow, that's really not right! And I thought I was getting the short end of the stick with my property!

P.S. Another thing that isn't right is my memory! I actually found a photo of the back of the '53 Rosey before I cleaned it up! I forgot to name it in my folder, so I didn't spot it yesterday! Sad...

DSC01543.JPG 1953 rosey clean back.JPG

L

l2hunt

that's funny cause that's all i ever find is rosies hehehe would love to find any kind of other silver tho HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread